looking for a decent c2...

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

E30nostalgia

looking for a decent c2...

Post by E30nostalgia » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 am

Hi guys,

New to this forum and was recommended by an old friend to have a nose around. Looking to buy an Alpina and need some advice.
I am only interested in the e30 alpinas - 2.5/2.7

I have owned a few e30s in the past and have started to like them once again after years!

Is there any advice on buying an older Alpina - I know the whole getting chassis number/reg number etc and calling BMW. I do know my way around an e30 a bit and am aware of common issues with rust and where it tends to live.

What do you think a decent one costs? In good condition (not worried too much about mileage really its an old car).

I saw one not so long ago for sale for a high price which I just thought was rediculous given the market right now. Maybe it was or maybe I was for thinking that

Thanks for reading/helping
:) :?

jamesa
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jamesa » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:11 am

Welcome ... whilst I can not help you I`m sure that others will.

Good luck.
Ex. B10 V8 Touring #160 Alpina Blue : Current M2 DCT (OG)

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:16 pm

There was a lovely-looking well-fettled 1989 Dolphin Grey C2 2.7 went through on ebay for about £6.5k last Friday with 100k on it. I thought that was ridiculously cheap...if it was as good as the pix led you to believe. I think a top-notch C2 2.7 is around 5 figures, now.

Simon (spa69) is your man. He has a beautiful C2 2.7 (again in Dolphin) and I'm sure he will be happy to share advice. Simon13 is also a very knowledgeable C2 man :)
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

E30nostalgia

Post by E30nostalgia » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:26 pm

That car looked mint! If it was what the guy said then I have to say that was a bargain.
Is mileage a huge factor if looked after?
Also, Are all Alpinas on the Alpina register genuine? People sell their cars and say they are on the register, does this prove authenticity? Are they checked before being accepted to go on there?

Thanks

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:27 pm

E30nostalgia wrote:That car looked mint! If it was what the guy said then I have to say that was a bargain.
It did 8) I think it was :shock:
E30nostalgia wrote:Is mileage a huge factor if looked after?
Also, Are all Alpinas on the Alpina register genuine? People sell their cars and say they are on the register, does this prove authenticity? Are they checked before being accepted to go on there?
I'd say the same caveat's as the other E30's when it comes to the miles and condition (I owned 2, so know their weaknesses and foibles, too). If there is a wad of receipts/mot's/service history and the car and owner look 'right', then it probably is. The base M20 engine can absorb some miles as I'm sure you're aware. ALPINA suspension is expensive to keep as stock, so best worth checking what's fitted and if it is the correct spec. I think you've spotted a 171k car up Grimsby way on ebay....

I'm not sure what checks Neil runs when a car is submitted to the Register, but I think he'd spot a ringer right-off. He does ask for build numbers on the registration, and he may well have the access to the historical files to cross-ref.

HTH a little.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:11 am

i sold my 2.7 touring to a friend not long ago for £4000. you wouldnt find many better e30s but she'd done 204,000 bit cheap but was a quick easy sale as i didn't really want to part with it.

If i'm honest most of what comes up forsale is utter over priced sh!te. The good ones are in long term ownership and have been for a while now patience is a key word!

E30's can be a minefield as they weren't built in buchloe. So tracing prevenace and know where to look on the car is key.

Most have cracked the cylinder heads at some point. I've yet to know a 2.7 version that hasn't!