Top Gear

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
Geoff
ALPINA
ALPINA

Top Gear

Post by Geoff » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:11 am

Is it me or has Top Gear degenerated into another comedy show :cry:
B3 BiTurbo Coupe (#104)
B10 3.3 (#055) Sold
Austin Healey 3000 BT7 (Sold)

Every day is a winding road.

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:57 am

I know what you mean the Africa special had very little to do with cars.....

but I still really enjoyed it !

jim_m_kidd
ALP
ALP

Post by jim_m_kidd » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:58 pm

Whilst I like to 'adventure' format to some of their car reviews I just think that they are starting to miss out on cars

One hour given over to (albeit quite interesting) drive across the desert, could have been given over to an M3 vs B3 test for 20mins, a look at Ford's Verve (new fiesta) etc etc etc.

I get my car news from Auto Express (because its weekly) but I do think they (topgear) need to strike a better balence against these epics vs. real automotive news...
Jim

Alpina - B10 - V8 - #1157 (gone in 60 seconds)
Range Rover TDV8 Vogue SE

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:19 pm

Yeah I think these 'specials' should be just that. i.e. shown in addtion to the normal series

Geoff
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Geoff » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Yes it used to be a motoring program with a bit of fun thrown in. Now most, or in last weeks case all is given up to comedy with a few sketchy items on cars in between. Even 5th Gear is getting in on the act too, the last one I saw was mostly about drifting Rascal vans and pick ups, total rubbish IMHO. Don't get me started about hurling cars at caravans :roll:
B3 BiTurbo Coupe (#104)
B10 3.3 (#055) Sold
Austin Healey 3000 BT7 (Sold)

Every day is a winding road.

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:49 pm

I found the Vietnam special to be funny and interesting, but it was more of a holiday programme. I found the review of the culture to be attention-grabbing, but what has this got to do with cars? Also they spent most of their time on motorbikes.

Therefore on one hand it was not car programme but on the other it was a comical holiday programme, which the Top Gear presenters did well.

Was it worth the licences fee?!

My 2p worth.
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

Joe
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Joe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Personally I think it's one of the best shows on TV. I agree this season needed to focus more on the car however, that aside....still the best thing on the box...

Petrolhead
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Petrolhead » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Have to agree with Joe, yes it's no longer particuarly car-review focused, but what it is is a brilliant entertainment show based on cars which is very funny and makes Sunday nights bearable.

One of the best things to come from the show recently IMO was the new Fiesta review, the chase around the shopping centre and the beach landing were both fantastic - typical TG spin on things.

"Is it Green?"..... "Yes."
My Website!

"If you don't feel out of control, you're not driving fast enough." - Mario Andretti