996 Turbo

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

996 Turbo

Post by Chas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:33 pm

This is a historic day for me! I've finally popped my 911 cherry :shock: I feel a bit like the proverbial 30-year-old virgin because it's something I should have done a long time ago but, for whatever reason, I've never got round to it. I've been in few porkers, and I've had a 968 on babysitting duty, but I've never had the pleasure of the old icon.

So, what can I say about it. Well, the car in question was a black 996 which means it's a 3.6 twin turbo. No big deal - I've got one of them in the driveway too!! However, this was a 2003 compared to my 1992 B10 BT, which means it was a bit quicker. To be fair to the Alpina, it wasn't 11 years quicker.

The 996 owner was at pains to point out the special Tiptronic system with steering-wheel control. Imagine his surprise when I explained just who it is that Porsche pays a patent to for this system :lol: I did like the fact that you can change up or down from either side of the wheel, and that you could go into tiptronic mode without knocking the gearstick to one side. However, I'm not sold on the controls being on the face of the steering wheel rather than behind it. Maybe I'm just stuck in my ways but it's possible to find yourself in manual mode accidentally when brushing the (sensitive) thumb rocker whilst negotiating a turn.

The ride wasn't as firm as I expected but it was still firm in the way an //M car is. The cabin was functional and a little Audi-esque, perhaps because it was also black. But it was all about speed... once the lag had passed. Actually, it wasn't so much about turbo-lag. It was more the fact that there was no immediate kick in the back. Sure it gained pace with alarming ease but it wasn't the step up from, say, the B8 that I expected. Above 3k it's warp-levels of acceleration but in higher gears it's not so obvious. Within 2 minutes I was perfectly at ease pushing on, unafraid that it was going to shock me further.

When we returned home, I took the 996 owner out for a blast in the B8. To say he was gobsmacked is an understatement; he had a massive grin on his face for the entire 15 minute journey (perhaps because he wasn't used to the sensation of being a passenger on the 'wrong' side) but he couldn't believe this was (a) an E36, or (b) that it was 16 years old. The linear acceleration, the torque, the noise, and (especially) the quality of the ride was remarkable, particularly given the car we'd just left in the driveway.

I took a little more time to wash and dry the B8 this afternoon before tucking her away in the garage beside the '71 Elan in anticipation of the approaching winter. It's days like today when I appreciate just how fortunate I am to have a car which is almost as good as a 996 in some respects, and better than any Porsche in others.

Ok, I'm a little biased but I'm not going to feel threatened by 911 owners in future (not that I ever have been). The 996, like most of the 911s, looks great and screams success at everyone who sees them. Until 5 hours ago I wondered if one of those glorified VW Beetles would be my next car. Now I'm certain it won't be. What I really want is a scabby old B8 Touring with a set of winter tyres and a towbar :lol:
Last edited by Chas on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:19 pm

Blimey, Chas. I was reading that and thought you'd actually gone over the edge... :lol:

Thank god for your last para... 8)
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: 993 Turbo

Post by Araf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:02 pm

Chas wrote:.....What I really want is a scabby old B8 Touring with a set of winter tyres and a towbar :lol:
Doesn't Chris have a scabby B8 in Luxembourg that fits the bill? :lol:
Last edited by Araf on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B3 3.3

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: 993 Turbo

Post by Chas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Dirty little secret! :lol:
Last edited by Chas on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:33 pm

I've deleted that bit now. If you delete your last post, it can be our secret. ;)
B3 3.3

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:09 am

Araf wrote:I've deleted that bit now. If you delete your last post, it can be our secret. ;)
Too late :lol:
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: 996 Turbo

Post by B10BRW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Chas wrote:Ok, I'm a little biased but I'm not going to feel threatened by 911 owners in future (not that I ever have been).
I entirely agree with your comments Chas, 911's leave me cold, I can not help thinking of the vehicle it was based on the Beetle :( , I hate those with a passion :lol:
Plus the basic design of the 911 has been with us for over 40 years, come on Porsche, move on
I have always disregarded a 911 as a possible purchase, but not knocking what you haven't tried, I went with a German friend a couple of years ago to his local dealer.

Once there I was given a new 997 for a few hours, to give it a thorough road test.

I returned, having covered a fair distance on normal roads and autobahns totally unimpressed :cry:

The steering I found lacking in feel, similar to an Audi, I kept waiting for the performance to really set the thing alight, it was adequate but no more.
The steering wheel was very thin, and flimsy, I found the cabin very cramped probably because I am well over six foot.
Luggage space was very poor.
My overall impressions were that it was certainly not worth the premium charged, IIRC it was well over 100K euros.

I got back into my B10 V8, thinking this is how a performance car should feel :D, and it can carry my Golf clubs, luggage and several cases of wine :D
If I had wanted a 2 seater with more luggage space I would have gone for an Alpina Roadster, Oh remember now I did :lol:

ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Chas that is why you own a fleet of OAL in nyour garage and possible a future museum in North East of Scotland.