GPS sat nav

Ok we have one - here's an opportunity to have one - if you got a point of view about something and want to share it - here's where you do it.
vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA

GPS sat nav

Post by vblanche » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Hello,

I have a Tomtom one xl, but I'm thinking of getting a newer system. What would you recommend?

does the LIVE thing from Tomtom work in UK?

battery life?

and where are they the cheapest?

thanks
vincent
2002 B3 3.3x touring No 100

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:52 pm

I've always found that those who use TomTom swear by TomTom, and those who use Garmin swear At TomTom.

I think that once your brain is trained in the use of one, it's difficult to use the other. Whilst I have a Garmin, I would suggest you stay with the (inferior ;) ) Tom Tom.

For that reason, I cannot help with battery life, or where to buy.
B3 3.3

vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by vblanche » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Araf wrote:I've always found that those who use TomTom swear by TomTom, and those who use Garmin swear At TomTom.

I think that once your brain is trained in the use of one, it's difficult to use the other. Whilst I have a Garmin, I would suggest you stay with the (inferior ;) ) Tom Tom.

For that reason, I cannot help with battery life, or where to buy.
:lol:
I'm happy to try new stuff...why do you think Garmin are better? which model would you recommend? where to buy?

The Tomtom HD traffic seems a clever system (using other tomtom devices to get info)...

thanks
vince
2002 B3 3.3x touring No 100

Araf
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Araf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:37 pm

I think the main difference is when the announce for you to turn. The Garmin (I think) does it a bit earlier, which makes TomTom users take the wrong road sometimes.

I use Garmin as I originally had a Garmin V for rallies and bajas. When I first got a car unit, the Garmins were flat, yet the TomTom units had curved backs, and couldn't be slipped into a pocket. No other reason, if truth be known. My latest unit has more functions than I care to use. I only use it to augment the gazetteer in my head that I was using for 20 years of driving before sat navs were invented. The only reason why I upgraded last year, was that I got a top of the range model at 75% off, making it as cheap as updating the maps on my old unit (which was very out of date).

I bought my latest from a major electrical retailer, as my brother works for them, and he told me about the old stock being reduced.
B3 3.3

Kyle
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Kyle » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:29 am

I've owned and loaned various Garmins over the years, never actually used a TomTom. Never really liked the Garmins that much.

I like my fairly recent (May '09) Snooper GPS Navi which has the EU maps and speed cameras and has navigated me all over the EU and saved me a lot of fines/points etc with the camera and high risk zone warnings! Not just in the UK too!

I have the Snooper Snooper Syrius S2000. The linked item appears to be slightly revised but its near identical.

Some of the features I like include:
  • The traffic system
  • The re-route function
  • Warnings of cameras, high risk zones, schools etc
  • Multi waypoint route system
  • Route and criteria filter/list system
  • Very accurate ETA's
  • Very strong antenna
  • Very easy to update
The navigation guidance and voice over is good, however I have used OEM navi's that have far better overall navigational guidance. I tend to actually rely on our E60 navi in the B5 (with 2011 DVD) and have the snooper as back up navi and speed camera warnings.