Anyone else been hand cleaning in this weather?

Discuss all aspects of Car Care / Detailling etc.
Joe
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Joe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:05 pm

I have one with a grit catcher in the bottom and it works really well. What I could really do with though is one that catches all the derisory comments my family make. Now that would be worth using 2 buckets for :lol:
Jaguar XKRS
B3 Bi Turbo Coupe, Alpina Blue (#205) - SOLD Feb 11
Vauxhall Meriva VXR - family "sprint'a'round"
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo Limited Edition 15/21
Porsche Cayman S - SOLD Dec 08
B10 V8S Saloon (#132) - SOLD April 07

Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Joe wrote:What I could really do with though is one that catches all the derisory comments my family make. Now that would be worth using 2 buckets for :lol:
As I said - anything to do with family planning? :wink:
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Tinker
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Tinker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:57 pm

Richy_Boy wrote:
Broch wrote: Downside to this though - a guy i know who is a panel beater/ spray painter reckons that when cars are left outside, they dry with the wind, but garaged cars are usually worse for corrossion underneath :cry:

Onzie
I need your garage ;)

Not sure I'd agree with the whole garage arguement, as obviously when it's raining and your car doesn't come out.. it's bone dry, unlike the car outside which has water evapourating underneath it. Still, it's gotta be better than parking the car on mud/grass!

Hmm, wonder if I can fit a car wash inside my garage! :D

Rich
He is right, you should never put a wet car in a closed garage ... the best thing for a car, is a car port (or a barn if you don't have a carport). where there is a constant airflow it does not get wet or frozen up, and when it has been raining dries naturally.

Problem with a garage is condensation, which is worse than being left in a lake ...

If you wash your car below freezing, you should take it for a run after so ice does not form (mind you washing a car when it is freezing is bonkers :lol:)
Black D10 manual #89

1973 Alfa Romeo Montreal .... in bits!

chad5k1
ALP
ALP

Post by chad5k1 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Tinker wrote:
He is right, you should never put a wet car in a closed garage ... the best thing for a car, is a car port (or a barn if you don't have a carport). where there is a constant airflow it does not get wet or frozen up, and when it has been raining dries naturally.

Problem with a garage is condensation, which is worse than being left in a lake ...

If you wash your car below freezing, you should take it for a run after so ice does not form (mind you washing a car when it is freezing is bonkers :lol:)
I agree, unless you have a heated garage :wink:
But car ports are great.
Rich
"(Ghibli is)...about the best handling car this side of an integrale..." - Trident Winter 03
Maserati Ghibli "a.b.s" - Track
Alpina Blue Roadster S Lux (116) - Sold
Honda Civic CDTI - Wife
Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG Estate

Geoff
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Geoff » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:02 am

Richy_Boy wrote:The two bucket method is simply have a dirty water and clean water bucket. You use the soapy water to wet your cloth/sponge, wipe the car and then dip it in the clean water to rinse.
You then dip it back in the soapy water and start again.

It's very anal, but it's all about reducing the potential for a contaminent from scratching the paintwork.

Another option is to get a proper bucket which has a grid in the bottom to trap the dirt at the bottom away from the soapy water and more importantly, your sponge!

I favour the latter, personally.

My routine has now settled on a true British Gentlemans wash..

- Jet wash car, allow to soak
- Spray wheels with cleaner
- Have a cup of tea
- Scrub wheels down with warm water and then jetwash off
- Bring out bucket of warm water (wash/wax name has left me for now) and a micro-firbe cloth (I find these far better than sponge/mitt) and start at the top and work down.
- Use a second cloth for under the car (i.e. bottom of bosywork/kit)
- Jet wash car off until bubble free
- Allow to air dry for 15 minutes, have a cup of tea
- Spray wheels with back to black, or simular tyre stuff
- Put car in garage so the local birds don't use it for target practise and dry with microfibe cloth
- Apply polish with little meguirs sponge thing and wipe off with microfibre
- Have a cup of tea

Rich
That's too much tea no wonder it takes so long, you need a foam lance of your own :lol: :lol: :lol:
B3 BiTurbo Coupe (#104)
B10 3.3 (#055) Sold
Austin Healey 3000 BT7 (Sold)

Every day is a winding road.

Richy_Boy
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Richy_Boy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 am

Too true, although a foam lance won't dry and polish your car for you, unfortunatley!

I just remembered, I use Turtle Wax 'Extreme nano-tech' stuff was the wash and wax and their 'wet n black' tyre stuff.

I use autoglym 'super resin' polish occasionally too.

Rich
Richy_Boy
--
Current Car: BMW e46 M3 CS SMG

Previous:
BMW 335d M Sport Coupe Highline
BMW 123d M Sport Coupe, no DPF, 275bhp and 520nm of torques.

Historical Alpina B3S Coupe #19 Owner