Carpet and Mat cleaning

Discuss all aspects of Car Care / Detailling etc.
Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Carpet and Mat cleaning

Post by Wellsy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:10 pm

HI all,

As we all like to keep our cars clean thought I'd share how I decided to buy a Bissell spot cleaner, watched numerous videos and seen good results so thought I'd give it a go.

Process I followed was, first really good hoover, then spray with carpet cleaner diluted about 10/1, let soak for few mins, then using a soft drill brush go over the area. Then with only water in the Bissell (which heats the water) then spray and extract the water until it runs clear. Then just extract until you can't extract any more water. They are not 100% dry but if its a nice day out it doesn't take long to dry. In the winter I only do the mats and bring them inside over night on the radiator to fully dry them out.

This was a stain I found when taking out the driver seat. Not even spotted it before. So took the seat out and spot cleaned it.
IMG_0243[1].JPG
IMG_0243[1].JPG (5.48 MiB) Viewed 2337 times
As you can see hear, Apologies I did put the seat back in then remembered to take the picture. Stain gone and carpet looking much better.
IMG_0245[1].JPG
IMG_0245[1].JPG (4.84 MiB) Viewed 2337 times
Next pic is the rear seat, where my daughter car seat is.
IMG_0304[1].JPG
IMG_0304[1].JPG (6.12 MiB) Viewed 2337 times
Than afterwards when all cleaned, again looks so much better.
IMG_0305[1].JPG
IMG_0305[1].JPG (5.73 MiB) Viewed 2337 times
I really found the whole process satisfying and even though my car is clean the color of the water afterword's would say not. The seats should be good for a while yet, but the mats and the carpet just hold all the dirt every time you get in the car, so I'm probably doing these every couple of months now to keep them clean.
There is a small part of me that started thinking, if I could make a living out of this then I probably would. I do really like seeing the finished product and the amount of dirt that can be pulled from the fabrics. During lockdown I am lucky my job is secure and I've not been furloughed or had any more time off than I would normal. Who knows if things had been different maybe I would look into this a bit more.

Happy cleaning all, Mark.
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

rc944
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Carpet and Mat cleaning

Post by rc944 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:26 pm

looks really good

did you go for the pro or standard version and whats a soft drill brush?
Porsche 997.1 GT3 CS I Alpina E46 B3s Coupe I Alpina E46 B3 3.3 Touring I Ducati 749S Mono I Ducati 748R I Ducati 749 Track Bike I Ducati 916S

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:48 pm

Some really good advice there Mark, thanks. I’ve been watching M539 restorations a lot lately on YouTube and his interior cleaning videos are great. He uses exactly the same technique as you describe - soft brush on a drill and then the carpet cleaner. I was wondering what type of carpet cleaner it was but you’ve answered my question now. 👍
Paul

2013 F11 B5 BiTurbo Touring #135 - Alpina Blue
2017 F33 B4S BiTurbo Cabrio #235 - Tanzanite Blue

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 am

rc944 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:26 pm
looks really good

did you go for the pro or standard version and whats a soft drill brush?
Hi I have the Std Bissell and to be honest apart from a smaller water tank I don't think there is much difference. I just keep a waste bucket by the car and take's 30's to empty the tank.
have a look on e-bay for drill brush you'll see what I mean. It's basically a round brush that fits in a battery drill, so you can agitate the carpet, seat or mat is seconds rather than using a hand held brush. Also as it spins really works the fibers and allows the cleaning fluid to really get into the fabric. I guess you could do the same with a hand held brush, but they are only a few quid and saves so much time.
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th/id/OIP.LxgZ ... 25&pid=1.7

Saves your arms too....
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:51 am

ScooBeeFive wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:48 pm
Some really good advice there Mark, thanks. I’ve been watching M539 restorations a lot lately on YouTube and his interior cleaning videos are great. He uses exactly the same technique as you describe - soft brush on a drill and then the carpet cleaner. I was wondering what type of carpet cleaner it was but you’ve answered my question now. 👍
It's one of those tools that I wish I had bought years ago, I've always just hoovered a car and thought "yeah that's clean" knowing what I know now they never were really clean. I would put money down that even the cleanest car I could clean the carpets and mats and pull out a load of black/brown water.
I now do mine every couple of months and certainly from the mats always pull out all the crap your shoes bring into the car. Just think every time you walk anywhere, your shoes pick up all sorts and as soon as you get in the car where does most of it end up, on your mat or carpet.
Black with Gold Decals
Upgraded Stereo system

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:04 pm

Wellsy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:51 am

It's one of those tools that I wish I had bought years ago, I've always just hoovered a car and thought "yeah that's clean" knowing what I know now they never were really clean. I would put money down that even the cleanest car I could clean the carpets and mats and pull out a load of black/brown water.
I now do mine every couple of months and certainly from the mats always pull out all the crap your shoes bring into the car. Just think every time you walk anywhere, your shoes pick up all sorts and as soon as you get in the car where does most of it end up, on your mat or carpet.
Yeah this is it - we'd been to a couple of National Trust places over the holidays and the footwells of mine were very muddy, even though we'd taken wellies and swapped shoes etc. I've given them a good shake and vacuum and although they look pretty clean, I was only thinking it would be nice to give them a 'proper' clean. I will have to invest.....
Paul

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm

ScooBeeFive wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:04 pm
Wellsy wrote:

Yeah this is it - we'd been to a couple of National Trust places over the holidays and the footwells of mine were very muddy, even though we'd taken wellies and swapped shoes etc. I've given them a good shake and vacuum and although they look pretty clean, I was only thinking it would be nice to give them a 'proper' clean. I will have to invest.....
The way I looked at is was this - and how I would have justified to wife, if she had of asked. The cost of a detailer coming round and doing the interior of my car would be between £80 and £100 depending how long they spend on it and materials. To buy a Bissell Spot Clean is £120ish plus some consumables. So say £150 lay out and you can clean your carpets, mats etc as often as you like. Pays for it's self in my books. ( it's like my wife coming home and saying, but the boots were half price so I saved £100 - You bloody didn't it still cost me £100 but you know what I mean).
Black with Gold Decals
Upgraded Stereo system

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:29 pm

Wellsy wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm
The way I looked at is was this - and how I would have justified to wife, if she had of asked. The cost of a detailer coming round and doing the interior of my car would be between £80 and £100 depending how long they spend on it and materials. To buy a Bissell Spot Clean is £120ish plus some consumables. So say £150 lay out and you can clean your carpets, mats etc as often as you like. Pays for it's self in my books. ( it's like my wife coming home and saying, but the boots were half price so I saved £100 - You bloody didn't it still cost me £100 but you know what I mean).
There's some great man maths on this forum! Had to smile at the wife justification.

I said to my wife at the weekend, do you think it's better that I buy a dedicated track car, or swap your car for something that can double as both. She just looked at me and said "Are we really having this conversation?" Ahem.....
Paul

Frosty
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Frosty » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 pm

ScooBeeFive wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:04 pm
Wellsy wrote:

For the mats I took out the leather piped carpets and put these in.
Bootliner.jpg
Bootliner.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
wintermat.jpg
wintermat.jpg (113.8 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
wintermat2.jpg
wintermat2.jpg (115.77 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
D5 F11 Touring #107
B8 Touring #21 SOLD - but regretted

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm

Frosty wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 pm
That's a good idea Paul. Must admit, mine are very ordinary standard mats so I'm not quite so fussed about keeping them mint, but they would still probably cost a bit to replace.

This is digressing slightly, but did Alpina make a mat with the stripes for the F10/F11? I could maybe keep mine for winter and buy a set for summer use.
Paul

Frosty
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Frosty » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:50 pm

ScooBeeFive wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm
Frosty wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 pm
That's a good idea Paul. Must admit, mine are very ordinary standard mats so I'm not quite so fussed about keeping them mint, but they would still probably cost a bit to replace.

This is digressing slightly, but did Alpina make a mat with the stripes for the F10/F11? I could maybe keep mine for winter and buy a set for summer use.
Paul, The build sheet for your car has the leather piped mats too, £200 option - i guess without this there may be no mats.

In terms of the oldschool style rhombs in the mats, I don't see these as an option on the F1x. Shame they would be a good fit with your headrests.
D5 F11 Touring #107
B8 Touring #21 SOLD - but regretted

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Frosty wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:50 pm
Paul, The build sheet for your car has the leather piped mats too, £200 option - i guess without this there may be no mats.

In terms of the oldschool style rhombs in the mats, I don't see these as an option on the F1x. Shame they would be a good fit with your headrests.
Really? That's interesting. Seems they have gone missing then at some point in its life.

I really love the old Rhombs striped mats and agree they would tie in nicely with the headrests. If they weren't an option though I could maybe look at getting a set like yours. I'll probably need to take out a mortgage though!
Paul

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:34 pm

I looked at a new set of mats for mine as the drives is nearly worn through. £249 +vat for the set and you can only buy a set..
Black with Gold Decals
Upgraded Stereo system

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:58 pm

I did exactly the same. I found someone in Germany supplying the F10/11 B5/D5 mats but they were 300 Euros. Ouch!
Paul