Troublesome niggles

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Troublesome niggles

Post by Charles » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:23 pm

The last couple of months have thrown up some troublesome niggles that have made driving somewhat annoying.

Firstly, my fuel gauge started going non-linear such that I was recording 240 miles on the first half of the tank and only 140 on the second. Also, the low fuel light, which would normally come on with 8 litres in the tank, was coming on with only 3 litres :shock: :shock:

Clearly there was a problem with the fuel sender(s) but working out which one was going to be a challenge. In the end I replaced both which included a new fuel pump. Having delivered VPower for almost 19 years and 365k miles, it made sense as a bit of preventative maintenance.

All good now 😀

The second issue was more challenging as I was experiencing a drop in engine note when running at steady state (say 70 on the motorway) with a resulting drop in power, sluggish throttle response and dreadful mpg. This was intermittent and somewhat random as to when it occurred and there were no warning lights. An ignition restart cleared it so it was liveable with.

Some code reading at the recent oil change revealed a problem with the inlet cam sensor - which makes sense as this would retard the Vanos, resulting in the subsequent symptoms. Removed the sensor and discovered the wiring into the sensor housing was fraying and I was getting occasional shorting out, triggering the fault and the protective response.

A new sensor later and all good 😀

On a positive note, since the rebuild 18k miles ago, I am enjoying almost 4k miles per litre of oil 😀
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

hashluck
ALPI
ALPI

Re: Troublesome niggles

Post by hashluck » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:19 pm

Glad to hear (relatively) easy fixes and proog always best not to ignore these things.

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:09 pm

What sort of average mpg are you getting Charles?
Mine is pretty low at the moment.
If out on the motorway I get low 20s sitting at 70 until everything is propery warmed up then I get nearly 30 at motorway speeds
MPG for me isn't really an issue but I want to make sure no 108 isn't drinking more than she should be.

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:51 pm

Glad you got them sorted Charles!

Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:01 pm

ali wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:09 pm
What sort of average mpg are you getting Charles?
Mine is pretty low at the moment.
If out on the motorway I get low 20s sitting at 70 until everything is propery warmed up then I get nearly 30 at motorway speeds
MPG for me isn't really an issue but I want to make sure no 108 isn't drinking more than she should be.
About 27-28mpg on the commute - depending on how awake or weary I am.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!