Trigger's Broom

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:15 pm

BarryM wrote:Great news, good to see that the gearbox can be re-built so successfully. For some reason I thought this wasn't possible, mine has had the oil flush as a precaution a few years back and seems to work perfectly but you never know what's round the corner.
At the end of the day, Barry, the clutch plates (the soft parts) in the various clutches will wear out over time. In my case, these lasted the best part of 190k miles in my gearbox.

What I have since discovered is that the hard parts will wear too - in my case the F clutch drum went at about 275k miles.

In both cases, the internals can be replaced as required. At 190k miles I had the soft parts replaced and this time around they replaced the soft parts and a few of the hard parts. Both times I had the TC checked and worked on as necessary, without actually replacing it.

There are a number of really instructive videos on YouTube. I particularly like this one - the same chap has done a series relating to my gearbox and TC.

Since 120k miles, I have changed the gearbox oil (without flushing) and flushed out the filter pan which changes approximately 75% of the oil, but the recent refurbishment means that I have completely new oil, including a flush of the gearbox intercooler.

Hope this helps
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!