A sad day

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

A sad day

Post by Charles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:46 pm

As some of you know, I put myself through regular pain as I am the "proud" owner of not one, but two Renaults. Before you ask, I have 4 children and so a Grand Espace is an essential (if troublesome) essential element to the fleet. The Megane serves as the general war horse and latterly, No1 son's regular mode of transport. It's already been placed in Cat C and taken back out again, so it's seen some service!

Over the last ten years I have not been able to rely on either of these cars to perform properly all the time and so I have got to know my local dealership very well indeed.

This includes, in particular, the Service Manager who was always on hand to come up with a cost effective solution to the latest problems, done with a smile and a knowing look.

Sadly I heard today that he lost his battle with Motor Neurone disease last week and I feel like I have lost an old friend :cry:
Last edited by Charles on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Philrose
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Philrose » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:07 pm

I lost 2 of my cycling club mates to motor neurone disease and it was not good watching their decline. One in particular, Paul Carbutt, held the Lands End to John O'Groats record for many years. Can you believe he cycled nearly 900 miles in under 2 days. He completed the ride and got back on his bike and then set off south to break the 1000 mile record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Carbutt

Sad news indeed.
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

"Never trade luck for skill."

Alpina D3BT - no 364 - Wifeys
Alpina B3S BT cabrio no 235 - Mine
Yes, we have one each

John_C
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by John_C » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Sorry to hear that Charles, a colleague of mine lost his battle with MND a couple of years back. It's a cruel condition. :(
2010 D3 BT #97 - Sold
1998 B10 V8 #71 - Sold

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Very sad Charles. I know the feeling well as I constantly lose Army mates…many I've known for 50+ years.

I DID have a smart comment when I first read your lines, though….Have you figured out, yet, what caused all those kids? :oops:
1989 B10 (2nd owner. For sale)
1997 E39 V8 (current daily in UKR)