Coping with rising fuel prices

Rambling from the Sage of Oxford
Charles

Coping with rising fuel prices

Post by Charles » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:02 pm

I posted elsewhere recently that, based on my long term average mpg, it works out cheaper per mile to run VPower as opposed to Shell E10 fuel. The same calculations for Tesco Momentum v their E10 suggest a similar story.

A recent bit of maintenance appears to have helped further - both with cost per mile and fuel costs in general.

Specifically I changed the gearbox oil as gear changes were becoming sluggish and the TC was unlocking more often under medium acceleration on the motorway in top when gaps opened up ...

As well as silky smooth changes and the TC now staying locked when it should, I am now getting 400+ miles combined range on a tank compared to 360ish before - all whilst maintaining the same driving style and daily commute 😀

The next test will be to see what happens when I switch to the winter set as experience suggests further mpg improvements - approximately 30-40 miles increased range courtesy of the softer rubber - as this would make 400 miles between full and yellow light a distinct possibility.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

hashluck
ALPI
ALPI

Re: Coping with rising fuel prices

Post by hashluck » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:16 pm

Good stuff, thanks Charles

Only ever V-Power or Esso Premium/Tesco Momentum 99+ for me. I will need to check what I actually get out of a tank.