Another tyre thread ...

Rather than clog up the General Forum we'll keep these seperate.
Please check here for Frequently asked questions on Road Tax, Security, Running Costs, Insurance Costs etc.
Bytey
ALP
ALP

Post by Bytey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:33 am

I got a puncture on the rear of my D3 a few weeks ago, forked out £300 for a new Michelin. I got all 4 done 2 years ago for just over £900 (when VAT was 15%) so the other 3 will also be due soon, so a total cost of around £1200 this time around.
I'll probably replace the other 3 with Michelin to keep them the same, but if I still have the car in 2 years time I'll be looking at another tyre manufacturer. TBH, the only reason I can think of to change the car is the cost of tyres, it's costing me more in tyres than it does in insurance.
Steve
2007 Alpina D3 # 391

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Just changed the rears on my D3 MT for a pair of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta from Camskill.

I couldn't justify the price of the Michelins this time around (especially with a little one on the way) :wink: Managed to squeeze 29721 miles out of them, they were rather smooth on the inner edge :oops: but still gave excellent grip, noise levels etc. Plus they don't make PS2 anymore, I don't think PS3 are available in the size I need and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport are just shy of £300....each! :shock:

First impressions of the Vreds are very good, low noise and excellent grip (although only got 150 miles on them so far). They seem to have slightly better sidewall protection (wider).

I was considering the Falken FK452 but was put off by the reviews on road noise (I do a lot of motorway miles). Lets see how many miles I get from these...
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:04 am

Congratuation Joe. When is he/she arrived?

serkie
AL
AL

Post by serkie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:45 am

IAM Joe wrote:Just changed the rears on my D3 MT for a pair of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta from Camskill.

I couldn't justify the price of the Michelins this time around (especially with a little one on the way) :wink: Managed to squeeze 29721 miles out of them, they were rather smooth on the inner edge :oops: but still gave excellent grip, noise levels etc. Plus they don't make PS2 anymore, I don't think PS3 are available in the size I need and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport are just shy of £300....each! :shock:

First impressions of the Vreds are very good, low noise and excellent grip (although only got 150 miles on them so far). They seem to have slightly better sidewall protection (wider).

I was considering the Falken FK452 but was put off by the reviews on road noise (I do a lot of motorway miles). Lets see how many miles I get from these...
Joe,

I've been looking at these too for the rear of my MT. Do you still have the Michelins on the front? If so notice any difference with the unmatched tyres?

Cheers,

Serk
BMW Alpina D3 Touring - No 231...

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:31 am

So, D3BT requires first replacement rear tyres - currently covered 12,500miles on original PS2's, rears are minimum 2.2mm N/S, 2.6mm O/S. Original front PS2's are still around the 5mm-mark. Wear is fully even over the width of the rears.

These will be swapped over late next month when I get my damaged alloy refurbed at Lepsons (they better be really good :D) along with its oppo that is flaking lacquer :roll: Sytner Newport made a crap job of painting our wheels :evil:

Replacing with a pair of PS2's (wanting to stay original on both cars) at £633.18 from Camskill, delivered. These will be fitted at neighbours garage following refurb under my watchful eyes :shock:
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

serkie
AL
AL

Post by serkie » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:50 pm

So I need some new rear boots for the D3 MT. After much agonising I decided to stick with Michelin and have booked the car in.

So 2x Michelin Pilot Super Sport's via Event Tyres being fitted for a rather sickening £326 per tyre.

Rears were put on the car at 40K car now at 72K so 32K from a set of boots, not bad I reckon.

Reviews of the Super Sports seem very positive so I look forward to see if they can improve on the already insane level of dry grip the current Pilot Sports provide.

As the saying goes though, buy cheap, buy twice!
BMW Alpina D3 Touring - No 231...

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:05 pm

ALPB1033 wrote:Congratuation Joe. When is he/she arrived?
Thanks, not due yet (13th Oct), on high alert... :roll:
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:10 pm

serkie wrote:
Joe,

I've been looking at these too for the rear of my MT. Do you still have the Michelins on the front? If so notice any difference with the unmatched tyres?

Cheers,

Serk
Yes, second set of Michelins on the front still with plenty of tread.

I've noticed the car 'wanders' side to side more on the motorway (not tramline). Don't know if this is because the tyres are new or due to the different tread pattern. I would've loved the Michelins but other priorities dictated my choice this time. It'll be interesting to see what mileage I get out of them.

No complaints with the grip levels, nice and quiet too 8)

Edit: Took a picture of them fitted after a good clean today :roll: You can see the slightly wider tread which gives better rim protection over the Michelins. Although I won't be testing them any time soon :evil:
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

MatS
A
A

Post by MatS » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:21 pm

After considering all the options I finally decided to replace my rears with a new pair of Michelins as I've been very impressed with them in the time I've had the car and concluded that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is as good a justification as any for paying a little more. Unfortunately when the car went in today during the course of swapping over a damaged alloy on the front it became apparent that a front tyre was needed too although it was new earlier this year (Jan / Feb); the out of shape rim had left it in pretty bad shape leading me to my second conclusion of the week, that being if it is broke fix it. Hopefully these will run for a reasonable distance although I now have one tyre that's 8/9 months older than the rest.

The bent wheel...

Having looked at online options and not being able to find one with a good fitter near where I work I bought the tyres through Maidenhead (/Marlow) Tyres who are reasonably local to home and who I've been using on and off since the late 90's as they have always been good on service and price and today was no exception.

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Ouch!

Difficult to spot damage on the inner rim :roll:
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:35 pm

IAM Joe wrote:Ouch!

Difficult to spot damage on the inner rim :roll:
+1

Can barely miss that, though! Any idea of the cause? Were you the car in the 'pothole' Neil has used in the captions competition? :lol:
Current:

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.

MatS
A
A

Post by MatS » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm

IAM Joe wrote:Ouch! Difficult to spot damage on the inner rim :roll:
ade and liz flint wrote:Can barely miss that, though! Any idea of the cause? Were you the car in the 'pothole' Neil has used in the captions competition? :lol:
There is a very slight warp in the outer lip but it's barely visible. I was aware that it was damaged but maybe not to the extent that it is.

The damage was pothole related although I think that understates the nature of the crater which was deep enough that the water running underneath it was about a foot below the lowest layer of road material. Give it another year or so and there'll probably be potholers abseiling into it.

:shock:

It's a poorly maintained country road that's repeatedly been patched...

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 pm

MatS wrote: Give it another year or so and there'll probably be potholers abseiling into it.

:shock:

It's a poorly maintained country road that's repeatedly been patched...
So, it wasn't Neils caption pothole, then? Disappointing :lol:

It was some hole you hit, and it found the weak area to buckle, too. Amazed it didn't blow your tyre with that impact.

I know of some similarly poorly repaired country roads. Best avoided if at all possible - gets expensive. Is it repairable?
Current:

Previously loved:

MatS
A
A

Post by MatS » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Nope, just another anonymous pothole. Someone did try to warn others of it and had put a cone in it, unfortunately only the top couple of inches were visible!

:lol:

I was amazed the tyre held up and spent some time looking over what I could see of the car before continuing home. When I took the car in to get it checked over post the incident the tyre was beyond use but still just about holding out, a few more miles and it would probably have unwound itself.

I'd have replaced the wheel too but a service which was all but due was brought forward with the car being in at the dealership and that was already getting expensive so the £1200 quote on the wheel put that out of reach. Subsequently I learned that quote was wrong and it should have been just over £600 which would have been a different story...

:roll:

I'm going to clean it up and take it to Lepsons to see what they can do, it may be handy if it happens again.

Glyn
A
A

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 at MyTyres

Post by Glyn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:38 pm

I have been shopping for rear tyres today and found MyTyres had what I thought were the discontinued Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

The price was rather good too £201.70 each for 265/30 19 size tyres.

Should have a pair on their way to me next week :)