Why did YOU buy an Alpina?

Rather than clog up the General Forum we'll keep these seperate.
Please check here for Frequently asked questions on Road Tax, Security, Running Costs, Insurance Costs etc.
rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:40 am

Saw her...drove her...liked her...bought HER!!! E34 B10 & still have her...EVERY DAY!!! :twisted:

Grant
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Grant » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:15 pm

Wanted a piece of the action so my 320 cd coupe is off and my D3 arrives in March :shock:
Don't eat yellow snow.
Grant

Currently: D3 Saloon #254 Montego Blue & E46 SE Conv Mystic Blue

Simon B
ALP
ALP

Post by Simon B » Sun May 13, 2007 9:55 pm

I was looking to change my wifes 1999 323i convertible. She wanted an E46 convertible probably a 330i. I said we should change it but I want something quick. I drove am M3 with the SMG gearbox and it was lke playing a computer game. Great fun but not very practicle and my wife thought it was a bit too raw.

I remembered seeing an Alpina at Sytners in Nottingham a few years ago when we where test driving the then newly launched 3 series compact. I thought I would have one when I won the lottery :)

I suggested that might be a compromise but didnt know anything about the current range.

We saw a B3.3 and decided that was the car we wanted. After a little bit more research I convinced myself that I should push the boat out and have a B3S.

Dont regret it for a minute the perfect compromise of speed and comfort. Its all the things you dream about your car being when you are a kid all rolled into one.
Simon B

2003 B3S Convertible #71
2023 Mercedes EQC

JayList

Post by JayList » Wed May 16, 2007 12:44 am

Becuase Neil brainwashed me . :shock:

D4
Administrator
Administrator

Post by D4 » Wed May 16, 2007 1:10 am

JayList wrote:Becuase Neil brainwashed me . :shock:
LMAO
2011 BMW 520d M Sport Saloon
2008 BMW 120i M Sport 5 Door

Previous ALPINAs
1984 E28 B9 3.5
1989 E32 B11 3.5
2000 E39 B10 V8 Touring
2005 E85 Roadster S #344

Twitter: d4bmw (follow me for all the latest ALPINA updates and other car related guff)

B10 BB

Post by B10 BB » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:53 pm

The car told me to buy her. Now she wants me to buy her things. She is as bad as my wife, only she hasn't got a credit card of her own.

neil
Administrator
Administrator

Post by neil » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:34 am

B10 BB wrote:The car told me to buy her. Now she wants me to buy her things. She is as bad as my wife, only she hasn't got a credit card of her own.

:lol:

Simon B
ALP
ALP

Post by Simon B » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:37 am

B10 BB wrote:The car told me to buy her. Now she wants me to buy her things. She is as bad as my wife, only she hasn't got a credit card of her own.
If you saw my credit card bill you would think that mine did have here own. :shock:
Simon B

2003 B3S Convertible #71
2023 Mercedes EQC

MichM3

Post by MichM3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:26 pm

I was very curious what it'd be like: "an Alpina"...the Z4 ///M was yet to come, I did know the ///M engine already, was keen to experience the fuel economy of the Alpina, loved the special blue paint, adored the exclusivity...so it was a go :wink:
Alpina Roadster S nr 361

Bytey
ALP
ALP

Post by Bytey » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:23 pm

I think there are many reasons why I bought the Alpina. I can’t say how or why, but I‘ve always had a soft spot for Alpinas, I think it started when I saw an E21 B6 in a car book I had when I was about 10 years old. I like to have something a bit different too, about 5 years ago I was looking at buying a BMW 328i, but then I moved house and my budget would only stretch to a 318i, I was so dead set against having a 318 I bought a Lexus IS200 Sport, of course, now they’re everywhere and I’m only a few month or so away from my 30th birthday, I think I was having an early mid-life crisis and started getting bored with the IS.
I’d read about the D3, and it seemed perfect for me…..for various reasons, I was looking at a diesel (I don’t use the D3 for work at the moment, but I plan to eventually) but nothing in my budget seemed fast enough to fulfil my mini crisis, I drove a 320d M-Sport, and it just a bit too underpowered (and uncomfortable) and besides, a 320d isn’t exactly exclusive either. I quite like the look of the Alfa 159 2.4, but again it's not especially quick. I drove a 330d and that seemed about right, but the budget wouldn’t stretch, so while I was visiting relatives in Sheffield I emailed Synters on the off chance they had a D3 (as I’d never seen one in real life), they did and I fell in love with it straight away. It looks SOOO much better that a standard 3 series and is much smootherthan the 320 M-Sport (a side effect of the run-flat tyres I suppose), but when that turbo kicks in it really starts to move. I’ve even noticed drivers in more expensive cars giving the ALpina a good look over (I especially noticed a driver of a brand new 330i in the same colour as mine who was looking particularly envious :mrgreen:
I guess the D3 is pretty tame compared to some of the V8’s etc. that the rest of you drive (and I’m still running it in, so I haven’t experienced it properly yet) but it seems plenty quick enough for day to day life, you get a good shove from behind from around 1800rpm (for a diesel, it will rev to almost 5000rpm) and on the drive back up from Sheffield it was also much smoother and quieter than the old IS.
I've never bought a brand new car before, and after having a quick look on this forum regarding depreciation, I might never afford one again, but I dont care, I'm just looking forward to life with my very own Alpina. I can't stop myself from looking out of the window and just looking at it on my driveway. I’m really looking to getting these 1st thousand miles or so under it’s belt so I can really get that turbo wound up. :twisted:
Steve
2007 Alpina D3 # 391

thomas v8
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by thomas v8 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:58 pm

Heuer wrote:After having two 540i Tourings I went into Sytner to buy an M5. Bearing in mind this was when they had 1300 of the things sitting in a field in the UK the salesmen said "You can borrow one for three days, but you will hate it, especially with the mileage you do". "In two weeks you will be back wanting to change it - poor gearbox, fractious ride and no estate body". I was crestfallen but they said "follow us". In storage was their ex-demonstrator B10 V8 Touring. My then view of Alpina was 'medallion man car' with daft wheels but they gave me the keys and sent me off.

Within 5 minutes I was intrigued, within 10 minutes I was impressed, within 15 minutes I was smitten. Within 30 minutes it was mine!

After three years and 75k miles it it as good and solid as they day I bought it and never fails to impress - I love driving it. The B5 is faster but does not feel as special or bespoke and certainly does not ride/ handle as well. I keep thinking 'why am I buying the B5?'. Never been attached to a car before - weird experience.
Heuer having owed the b5 much longer now is your veiw still the same in that the B10 is a better allround car than the B5.
current cars:
E39 528i touring Auto
Come on you GUNNERS

previous Beemers:
E39 Alpina B10 V8 THE BEAST: :auto
Mods. GRuppe M CAI.

E34 520i Touring: Manual.
E39 530i sport:Auto.
E39 M5:Manual.
E39 Alpina B10 V8:Auto.
E46 320i coupe:Auto.
E36 318i se saloon:Manual.
E30 320i coupe:Manual.
E53 4.8is exclusive addition.
E46 325i Manual Touring

seenthelight
ALP
ALP

Why I did it...

Post by seenthelight » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:11 am

New member and I can't understand why it took me so long to 'see the light'....how ever did I miss this for so long?

I have owned several BMW cars over the years, more recent ones being E46 328i coupe and E39 530i Sport, plus an X5 diesel sport that my wife ran.

More recently I had the pleasure of two years with a 996 Turbo but I sold it when my kids' shoes began to scruff the seat backs.. I really missed the power, but what had amazed me about that car was the torque, you really could pull away in 6th gear!

Needing something for business that I could drive people around sedately, the occasional run for the kids if not using my wife's Rangey Sport, but wanting the power and especially the flexibility offered by oodles of torque, I went and test drove an E60 M5...

...having been told that here we have an SMG box with an automatic option, I gave it back to the salesman (who failed to produce a smooth change himself) and advised him that the car offered, in my opinion, a clutchless manual box with an option to change gears automatically. Not an automatic gearbox, then. His look said that he knew what I meant. I also thought that it sounded like a tractor when starting from cold, but thought I could probably have a fun day on a track with it. :D

Then I began to research....it lead me to this fine website and all you helpful and enthusiastic people. :lol:

Finally, I went 270 miles to buy my B10 V8S, one featured on the site which helped me put together the history.

She is 5 today, bless her hand-finished leather! Next week she goes into the bodyshop and every stonechip and minor blemish will be removed. The wheels will be sent away to be stripped and re-finished and they will be adorned with new centres (thanks again, Andy!) There will be a bluetooth upgrade via Bimmernav and probably a new Nav computer up to a MkIV.

In other words, she will be returned to 'as new' condition because, folks, I have seen the light and wonder how ever I missed this car before.

Alpina? I'm smitten!

thomas v8
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Why I did it...

Post by thomas v8 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:13 am

seenthelight wrote:New member and I can't understand why it took me so long to 'see the light'....how ever did I miss this for so long?

I have owned several BMW cars over the years, more recent ones being E46 328i coupe and E39 530i Sport, plus an X5 diesel sport that my wife ran.

More recently I had the pleasure of two years with a 996 Turbo but I sold it when my kids' shoes began to scruff the seat backs.. I really missed the power, but what had amazed me about that car was the torque, you really could pull away in 6th gear!

Needing something for business that I could drive people around sedately, the occasional run for the kids if not using my wife's Rangey Sport, but wanting the power and especially the flexibility offered by oodles of torque, I went and test drove an E60 M5...

...having been told that here we have an SMG box with an automatic option, I gave it back to the salesman (who failed to produce a smooth change himself) and advised him that the car offered, in my opinion, a clutchless manual box with an option to change gears automatically. Not an automatic gearbox, then. His look said that he knew what I meant. I also thought that it sounded like a tractor when starting from cold, but thought I could probably have a fun day on a track with it. :D

Then I began to research....it lead me to this fine website and all you helpful and enthusiastic people. :lol:

Finally, I went 270 miles to buy my B10 V8S, one featured on the site which helped me put together the history.

She is 5 today, bless her hand-finished leather! Next week she goes into the bodyshop and every stonechip and minor blemish will be removed. The wheels will be sent away to be stripped and re-finished and they will be adorned with new centres (thanks again, Andy!) There will be a bluetooth upgrade via Bimmernav and probably a new Nav computer up to a MkIV.

In other words, she will be returned to 'as new' condition because, folks, I have seen the light and wonder how ever I missed this car before.

Alpina? I'm smitten!
any photos of the beast knocking about.
current cars:
E39 528i touring Auto
Come on you GUNNERS

previous Beemers:
E39 Alpina B10 V8 THE BEAST: :auto
Mods. GRuppe M CAI.

E34 520i Touring: Manual.
E39 530i sport:Auto.
E39 M5:Manual.
E39 Alpina B10 V8:Auto.
E46 320i coupe:Auto.
E36 318i se saloon:Manual.
E30 320i coupe:Manual.
E53 4.8is exclusive addition.
E46 325i Manual Touring

seenthelight
ALP
ALP

Post by seenthelight » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Sorry, Thomas, my profile is not too informative at the moment! :oops:

Here are the photos posted by previous owners. I will update them when I have finished tidying her up in a few weeks, also when I have the full fine detail of the original spec from Sytner.

I have read a few of your threads and I see you too are a fan of this fabulous V8 :P

I have owned some great cars, but this one is out there on its own for all round ability! :lol:

http://www.thealpinaregister.com/B10/V8S/saloon/82

Peter

alpina46
Tourettes Champion
Tourettes Champion

Post by alpina46 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:56 pm

Very nice congrats 8) 8) 8)
M2
520d F11 M Sport Touring
B10 V8 #240
Mini Cooper S convertible
220d M Sport convertible