Advanced Search

Rather than clog up the General Forum we'll keep these seperate.
Please check here for Frequently asked questions on Road Tax, Security, Running Costs, Insurance Costs etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
neil
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7018
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:16 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Advanced Search

Post by neil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi all

You may notice I've added a new link at the top of the page.

'Advanced Search'

This is a google site search that hopefully is a lot better than the standard forum search.

Have a play and let me know !!

Hodge
ALPINA
ALPINA
Posts: 1483
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:05 pm
Location: Nottingham

Post by Hodge » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Now that is better, well done and thanks :clap:

Cheers
Mark Hodge

E46 B3s Coupe #19 (sold)
E46 B3s Touring #29 (sold)
Daily -
TTS DSG (Not for carrying dogs)
X5 M50d (For carrying dogs)
VW R32 MkIV (weekends)

vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA
Posts: 1662
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

Post by vblanche » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:20 pm

nice....wow, that's quick :shock:
2002 B3 3.3x touring No 100

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA
Posts: 2419
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:41 am

Post by E24man » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm

In short - a huge step backwards - first of all it searches the entire site and you cannot limit it to the forums - hence it searches the registers, stats, anywhere within the site structure..

Neither can you set it to search for a set of words - it will simply search for every single individual word and list it.

Was this tried in any way before it was implimented?

It has simply destroyed the ability to search the forums for specific useful pieces of information and made every attempted search a mindless trawl through endless dead ends.

Sorry - but that's how non-forum specific search engines work.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

User avatar
neil
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7018
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:16 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Post by neil » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:20 pm

E24man wrote:In short - a huge step backwards - first of all it searches the entire site and you cannot limit it to the forums - hence it searches the registers, stats, anywhere within the site structure..

Neither can you set it to search for a set of words - it will simply search for every single individual word and list it.

Was this tried in any way before it was implimented?

It has simply destroyed the ability to search the forums for specific useful pieces of information and made every attempted search a mindless trawl through endless dead ends.

Sorry - but that's how non-forum specific search engines work.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Don't panic the original search is still there !!

I can also create another site search that only searches the forum (I'll do this just for you !!)

I'll keep you posted

User avatar
neil
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7018
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:16 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Post by neil » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:26 pm

I'm nothing but efficient !

try this :

http://www.thealpinaregister.com/alpforumsearch.php

User avatar
neil
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7018
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:16 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Post by neil » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 pm

By the way put all the terms in " " then it will search for the exact phrase.

"B10 V8 Spoiler"

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA
Posts: 3993
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Aberdeenshire

Post by Chas » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:39 pm

Am I the only one who can't see what I'm typing because the box is just 5mm wide?

vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA
Posts: 1662
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

Post by vblanche » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:44 pm

Chas wrote:Am I the only one who can't see what I'm typing because the box is just 5mm wide?
getting this too.
2002 B3 3.3x touring No 100

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA
Posts: 7092
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:31 pm

vblanche wrote:
Chas wrote:Am I the only one who can't see what I'm typing because the box is just 5mm wide?
getting this too.
I'm getting a 20mm box ..... :roll:
Current:
E91 B3SBiturbo #127
981 Porsche Cayman GTS
Focus STline dog wagon

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'grey' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S

User avatar
neil
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 7018
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:16 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Post by neil » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Know what you mean - I don't seem to be able to change that easily

I'll let you know....

Post Reply