3rd October 2007 - What gives them the god given right !

Ramblings and thoughts from Neil
neil
Administrator
Administrator

3rd October 2007 - What gives them the god given right !

Post by neil » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:22 pm

Ok so it's been an absolute age since my last blog and I'm back and about to upset our 2 wheelers....

But whats gives bikes the god given right to use an extra lane. It's a bit Harry Potter style, hidden from us muggle four wheelers. In case you are wondering it appears to be in be in between the outside and middle lanes. I'm well aware that in traffic bikes have the advantage of squeezing between the stationary traffic - I've not checked but am guessing this is a tolerated non-legal action ?

However what has really got my goat is that bikes now do this ALL the time - I was in free-flowing traffic, albeit a bit heavy, travelling at 70ish mph and there were a number of bikes driven in between the cars at higher speeds ! That is in between 2 lanes of fast moving traffic, with drivers who are probably not particularly expecting to be undertaken by a bike. This has to be the madest development (unless I've been missing this in previous years ?)

So what do you think, I know we have some 'magicians' among us, but I'm guessing such behaviour isn't condoned or carried out by yourselves ?

markbannister
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by markbannister » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:33 pm

Not directly the same but...

A few years ago when I worked in London I was on foot and waiting to cross Hammersmith Road. The traffic lights turned red and the green man appeared so I stepped out into the road and a cyclist decided the red lights didn't apply to him. He nearly ran me over so I kicked his bike as he passed and he fell off and went sprawling all over Hammersmith Road.

Great fun. :twisted:
Mark B

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:43 pm

markbannister wrote:He nearly ran me over so I kicked his bike as he passed and he fell off and went sprawling all over Hammersmith Road.

The law is real ass when it comes to these matters. The cyclist is at fault for failing to comply with the Highway Code. However you’re also at fault as a red light means: no one as priority at a set of traffic lights therefore it is treated as a give way. The only form of defence is common knowledge which is - it is common knowledge for pedestrians to walk on the street when it is red.

The biggest thing that annoys me is common courtesy on our roads and just good old fashion respect for obeying the rules of the road.

When I was a kid we had the green cross code man – where is he now? He will save children lives and will start to make parents to teach their children about the rules of the roads. The driver is now always to blame.

Also some of those Public Information programmes make me laugh – as they are always subtly saying that the driver is at fault but when I watch them I can spot the other party failing to comply with the Highway Code and often in the film they are portrayed to be the victim.

We have far too many speed cameras which in-return as lead to less police policing the Highways. Therefore people are not bothered about obeying the law because who is going to catch them?

I think this is one of the reasons why I enjoy Germany everyone understands the rules of the roads and just get on with their lives – hence it is a clear line who is at fault if someone does make a mistake.
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

Ryan H
ALP
ALP

Post by Ryan H » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:17 pm

markbannister wrote:Not directly the same but...

A few years ago when I worked in London I was on foot and waiting to cross Hammersmith Road. The traffic lights turned red and the green man appeared so I stepped out into the road and a cyclist decided the red lights didn't apply to him. He nearly ran me over so I kicked his bike as he passed and he fell off and went sprawling all over Hammersmith Road. Great fun. :twisted:
That's absolute quality! :lol: Never fails to amaze me how cyclists don't think that red lights apply to them or assume it's their right to ride 2 or 3 abreast (usually on fast B roads) and wonder why they get abuse from other road users. I lived in London for a good few years and the worst culprits have to be those cycle courier chaps. If I had a pound for every fight/argument I saw involving a cycle courier...:roll:

Neil - I don't think this is a new thing but it is incredibly dangerous and worrying as a car driver.
D3 Bi-Turbo Touring, Space Grey - On order
Mini Cooper S Clubman
Alpina D3 Saloon, Sparkling Graphite (SOLD!)

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 pm

Getting back to motorbikes - it bugs me too.

When I see them coming I look to see whether I can safely ease across to let them by on the right and then slip back in again, but thier body language nearly always make sme worry that by doing so they'll go up the back of me.

There are a few good bikers out there that are patient, position themselves in the middle of the lane and make it very clear that they are getting on with it - but then you spot these from a way back.

I could just say that it's their life and their loss but I'm not that sort of person - even though they are driving dangerously and putting many others at risk by their impatience - because this is what I believe it is - coupled with the vast majority of car drivers who haven't a clue about lane discipline.

It's probably, therefore, a sign of the times and is likely to be with us into the future. This doesn't excuse it - particularly as it is very difficult to respond to as a responsible driver. Before you have a chance to move over they are up the inside of you. :x
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:54 pm

I've never seen this before, but I don't spend too much time on dual carriageways. As a biker I think it's stupid. I take a lot of satisfaction using the 'middle' lane in queueing traffic but I wouldn't consider it on the open road. :roll:

rcshott
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rcshott » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 am

I get cranky about this 'stick-to-the-rules' stuff. NO COUNTRY I know of, teach drivers (old & new) of the ever-changing road rules...or what to do under certain serious circumstances, such as the bike thing discussed above. You do the obligotory (basic) training, get a licence & are then let loose on the road. You pass a test on some stuff which is supposed to stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. No further input required.

In Queensland, when one reaches age 70, have to pass a basic 'eye test' by reading an eye chart at the Department of Transport office when a licence renewel is required. "Testers" are not doctors, driver training teachers, or professionals of any kind...just basic desk clerks. They ask, "Do you wear glasses"? If you say , "No". That's the end of the 'test', if you're under 70 years of age! (I ask the pollies, does that mean all other people have perfect eyesight?) What about hearing/other afflictions/sickness, etc?
My 72yo neighbour is blind in one eye. He was asked to cover one eye with his hand & read a certain line of an eye chart, which he did, then read a different line with the other (blind) eye. In his own words, "I just put my hand up to my good eye with my fingers apart & read the line, & passed". He & millions like him can jump in the car & drive almost anywhere in the world (on an international licence outside Australia), with NO EXTRA TESTING INVOLVED!

I've seen this man drive & wouldn't let him drive me to the local shop!

But 'break' a rule such as go over the speed limit slightly...Bang...fined! Accumulate a few points...Bang...licence lost...& possibly no re-training or upgrading to current rules to get it back.
A month ago our National road toll was 27 more than at the same time last year. Is it any wonder! Being given a licence to ride/drive IS C-R-A-P under current rules...world wide.

Then, we have people from some countries come here, can't speak the local lingo, many never driven before or have sub-standard training or licence requirements from whenst they came, & get a rider/driver licence??? At any one time we have 60,000 "Grey Nomads" (retired people towing caravans)....THERE IS NO TRAINING TO TEACH THEM HOW TO TOW A VAN????? Many crash & some get killed...or worse...kill other innocents on the road. :evil:

Please ... anyone...tell me if I'm wrong!!!