Big Hike in insurance - ended with a better deal

ALPINA Costs - Insurance, Depreciation, Oil Usage

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Paulb
ALPINA
ALPINA

Big Hike in insurance - ended with a better deal

Post by Paulb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:10 am

Having been insured with QuoteMeHappy for the past two years, their renewal offer was somewhat jaw dropping. So I did the usual and hawked the 2015 D3 Biturbos insurance around.

I've had no claims, no points or speed courses, not moved house or jobs so for all intents and putposes, aside from turning 45 everything was the same!

Not a great deal of success from trying all of the comparison sites and those companies not on the sites.

So turned to RH (Hiscox) to see what they could do. To put it in to context, they insure my Sierra Cosworth, Focus RS and Alpins B3 on a single policy.

Good chat and it ended with them adding the car on to the multi-vehicle policy for considerably less than the renewal or closest quotes with additional benefits included free of charge (90 days European coverage, Full breakdown cover including two stage recovery, legal, car hire and dedicated team who look after their policies & after care).

Very impressed I have to say especially the dedicated team having had to call upon them for a breakdown in the Focus RS.
Nothing to see here.... move along in an orderly fashion please!
E91 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #004 - (sold)
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #032
F31 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #172
Mk1 Focus RS #516
Mk3 Focus RS Heritage #8 of only 50
and a 1987 Sierra RS Cosworth (currently being restored)

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:06 pm

I used to be with Hiscox when it was just two cars for me and Mrs L

It was a great policy at the time, with excellent benefits and a superb claim handling service but the advent of a third car for au-pairs and then young adults made it way too expensive to justify.

If you don't mind me asking, do they still allow you to drive any other car fully comp (useful for testing another ALPINA for an owner at meets) and also allow you to let another driver (over 25) drive your car in an "emergency" (read that as having had one too many at the pub) without having to phone them up and put them on the policy?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Paulb
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Paulb » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:06 am

Good questions Charles, from my understanding of the benefits, Fully Comp driving another persons car in the UK only, 3rd party if driving someone elses car in Europe.

Unsure about a 3rd party driving the insureds vehicles in an emergency - would have to check.

For the classics (20 years older or more) you get the salvage back for free in the event of a total loss.
Nothing to see here.... move along in an orderly fashion please!
E91 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #004 - (sold)
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #032
F31 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #172
Mk1 Focus RS #516
Mk3 Focus RS Heritage #8 of only 50
and a 1987 Sierra RS Cosworth (currently being restored)