Admiral come up trumps again

ALPINA Costs - Insurance, Depreciation, Oil Usage

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Charles

Admiral come up trumps again

Post by Charles » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:03 am

Stuck with Admiral again this year but then we do have a third car driven by both teenage sons and the multicar discounts far outweigh the savings on separate policies elsewhere.

£333 for the B3S - 20k miles pa, 20 years NCB, no black marks, rural and garaged location, ancient driver (50) - which isn't too bad really.

£471 for the Espace - similar profile for the missus but one prang (uninsured driver's fault) and one ancient SP30

£632 for the Megane - four occasional drivers including a 19yo and 17yo (provisional licence)

Of course, Admiral started the process with a ridiculous quote of £1750, up from £1250 last year, but this did include the 17yo on the policy this time around. As you can see, I managed to get them down to £1500 for all three cars straight away.

I recognise that this will change during the year as the 17yo passes his test and I expect the annual premium for the Megane to rise to about £1000 - but this is still a bargain given the cheapest standalone policy for that car is almost £1500 (plus a black box).

All in all, happy with the B3S premium and the overall arrangements for this year.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by DonFlintoni » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:45 am

We went with Admiral MC policy again this year.

Bugs teh hell out of me that they give you a crappy price for automatic renewal and you have to call them up to get he proper price.

They must catch out so many old folk who know no better.

Overall the cost went up a little bit as any savings made due to increase in age and no claims for me and the missus was taken up by the tax increase from our beloved government.
Former Alpina owner. Having a break.

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:01 am

DonFlintoni wrote:We went with Admiral MC policy again this year.

Bugs teh hell out of me that they give you a crappy price for automatic renewal and you have to call them up to get he proper price.

They must catch out so many old folk who know no better.

Overall the cost went up a little bit as any savings made due to increase in age and no claims for me and the missus was taken up by the tax increase from our beloved government.
You will find the majority of insurance companies adopt that practice I am afraid. Who ever I am with I call at renewal and ask for there "customer loyalty dept" It is amazing how the premium tumbles when you talk to them. I may be old but I am not stupid! You don't ask you don't get :wink:

I even do the same with my breakdown cover.
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)