... a D4

A place for us to discuss the cars we are currently testing before the road test comes out !

Moderator: neil

Charles

... a D4

Post by Charles » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Admittedly it is a Volvo S60 D4, but with 770 miles on the clock and all the toys, at least I will have a comfortable time whilst waiting for the B3S to be repaired and returned :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:01 am

Been playing with the Volvo this week and it is now displaying blue dials with red needles.

I almost feel at home :D
Charles

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:15 pm

The Volvos in my humble opinion make a very nice 3 series sized car and the interior almost feels Germanic to a degree.
How are you coping with all the modern paraphernalia fitted to it ?
Great news that the old girl is getting repaired 8)
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:23 am

ali-bumble wrote:The Volvos in my humble opinion make a very nice 3 series sized car and the interior almost feels Germanic to a degree.
How are you coping with all the modern paraphernalia fitted to it ?
Great news that the old girl is getting repaired 8)
Still finding buttons to press and noticing that Swedish logic is different to German, when it comes to how the gizmos might work - given that there is limited paperwork in the car to help me and I haven't had the time to search the internet.

Thus far, I am not a fan of the turbo diesel power delivery. Pulling out of a junction, for example, and it's laggy to start and then it comes in a rush, unlike the much smoother petrol delivery I am used to. I've tried a softer right foot but I then find myself crawling across the hazard zone which leaves me feeling vulnerable.

I also dislike the stop/start function with a passion - particularly on an auto. I am used to releasing pressure on the brake and the car starts moving forward instantly, rather than a hesitation whilst waiting for the starter motor to get things going. Thankfully there's a button to deal with that.

The seats are gorgeous and it sits nicely on the motorway but isn't very nimble in the twisty bits - heavy steering and a heavy car don't make good bedfellows. The fuel tank does last a long time, though.

There's one feature that I am really missing - an automatic dipping rear view mirror. It's funny how you get used to things and take them for granted until it isn't there for you.

And finally, it's enormous compared to my E46 and very dark inside with black headlining, black leather and no sunroof - but, as I said before, at least I have blue dials with red needles.
Charles

AidanB10
ALPI
ALPI

Post by AidanB10 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Make sure you don't have it too long, you may give up teaching chemistry to start selling antique's....
'00 E39 B10 V8 Saloon #456 (Weekend) - Traded
'10 E90N D3 BT Saloon #262 (Daily) -Traded
'06 E60 M5 Saloon (Daily)

Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 pm

AidanB10 wrote:Make sure you don't have it too long, you may give up teaching chemistry to start selling antique's....
Ha ha :D

Thankfully it's a saloon so no chance of that - particularly as it has a spare wheel in the boot that takes up half the depth and makes the load space next to useless!
Charles