It's official; winter has arrived..

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

KennyP
AL
AL

It's official; winter has arrived..

Post by KennyP » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:36 pm

First gritter has just gone passed... :doh

If anyone is considering putting winter tyres on their car I can very much recommend Goodyear 4s Vector all season. Fitted them onto my modified ST Fiesta 3 weeks ago and they have been a revelation in all the standing water, rain and wet leaves. Even during the couple of dry days experienced, grip levels are very good indeed when you factor in going from 205/40 18 Michelin Supersports (very much a summer tyre) to 195/60 15 for the all seasons on steelies!

hooneybadger
AL
AL

Re: It's official; winter has arrived..

Post by hooneybadger » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:10 pm

Love an ST3, any pics?

Were the Vectors a decent price? I'll keep an eye out next time I'm replacing mine. I found a deal on some Michelin Cross Climate 2s last November, and they were ideal for the winter trip last year to the Alps - zoomed up an icy chalet driveway without a stutter and have kept them on since, very decent all rounders.
Never not on the hunt for a petrol Alpina Touring - B3 or B3S preferred but B5 series considered
VW Passat 3.2 V6 wagon
R53 Mini Cooper S - sold

Guy
ALP
ALP

Post by Guy » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:34 pm

I'm curious - If you're going to switch tyres for the winter, why not switch to proper winter tyres rather than all seasons (which are designed to be left on all year, but are slightly compromised at both)?

JohnW
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by JohnW » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:17 pm

Goodyear Ultragrip Performance (full winters) are on from the weekend on freshly refurbished Style 339s on the B3. 235/45 17 front and 245/45 17 rear, wider than the recommended 225s but I got fronts and backs last year at a good price from separate on-line dealers.

I’ve found them far better than the older Bridgestone Blizzaks they replaced.
JohnW
2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #161
Previous: 2011 D3 BiTurbo Saloon #373, 2014 F30 320iX M Saloon, 2009 M3 DCT Coupe, 2008 B3 BiTurbo Coupe #074, 2009 E82 123d Coupe, 2006 E92 325i Coupe, 2002 E46 325iSE Coupe, 1998 E36 318iSE Saloon

KennyP
AL
AL

Post by KennyP » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:58 pm

Hi Hooneybadger, Goodyear had a free fitting deal on until the end of October that saved £65 so I was £339 all in which wasn't bad I thought. I put X Climate ones on an M135i last year and they were very good too. I've looked out my old flak jacket for putting pics of Fordy on here...... :mrgreen:

Guy, I went for all season as I'm not far enough north to warrant full winters to be honest. I have tried both over the years and whilst all season rubber is a compromise it is less so than full winter regards noise, playfulness etc. I use the car every day and they give a very surprising amount of grip and feedback when its dry but are leagues ahead of summer rubber through standing water. Even 3 weeks ago, the Supersports were starting to slip coming out of junctions (car has a Quaife lsd) even when being very careful, the Vectors have given no such concern. I also wanted a higher profile to deal with potholes and to soften the ride a touch and whilst it's no Alpina in the ride quality dept it is better than before.

JohnW, dunno what happened to Bridgestone, they did make some good tyres a while back but my recent experience of them wasn't very favourable.

.....just for you hooneybadger, silver fox, performance pack, D/S maps x 4, D/S intercooler, twin big mouth intakes, mountune throttle elbow, hot charge pipe, airbox (with 3rd intake!), X over pipe but as standard looking as I can manage :lol:

Mods if this contravenes please just remove (but there is an Alpina under the green cover in the background... :wink: )

Cheers
Attachments
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG (2.21 MiB) Viewed 341 times
IMG_1499.JPG
IMG_1499.JPG (2.4 MiB) Viewed 341 times

TonyS
A
A

Post by TonyS » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:20 am

I too have just changed my summer wheels with PS4S's to the winter wheel set that have 245/35R 93W Michelin Alpin PA3's all round.
These are not as sure-footed in the dry, but they are great in the wet (no opportunity to try them in snow yet) and quite a surprisingly good all rounder - you have to be a bit brutal and make them squeal to show up the differences in reasonable conditions.
B3 BiTurbo Cabrio #121 (E93) + Quaife ATB LSD
X1 2.0 Twin-Scroll Turbo xDrive #zillion (F48) ... really useful, if only an XB1 existed !

--- but when you are up to your ears in alligators it can be relatively difficult to remember that your original idea was to drain the swamp --- hmmm

hooneybadger
AL
AL

Post by hooneybadger » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:55 pm

Nice one KennyP, after seeing Carfection's vid on it with Catchpole sending it up the Col de Vence, I really wanted one. Would have got the same colour as yours, but probably kept it stock. Looks like a fun thing!

@Guy, think your Q was directed at Kenny, but FWIW: the Michelins replaced some 5 year old Dunlop winters that came on the car, so wasn't going from summer to winter. No storage right now for a different set of tyres meant a winter/summer swap wasn't on the radar, so the convenience of all seasons won out for me and the CC2s have been great. Would recommend if anyone's looking for an all rounder.
Never not on the hunt for a petrol Alpina Touring - B3 or B3S preferred but B5 series considered
VW Passat 3.2 V6 wagon
R53 Mini Cooper S - sold