forum BMW5

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

forum BMW5

Post by nealpina » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:50 pm

Posting in the general section to give max coverage

We have members on here who are also forum BMW5 members. It is tragic that the forum is down. The likely cause is that the backup file became corrupted when they moved hosts. Two people have said I should offer some assistance, I am happy to do that, but I have noticed on their Facebook page that others have asked to help and their offer has not been taken up. If the official method to fix the corrupted backup file has failed, I'm not sure what I can do or can be done to make it recoverable.

The response people have received is 'to stop moaning it's free' but that is not entirely correct. I have never paid a membership fee or contributed but people have paid to advertise or just to support the forum with gold and platinum levels of membership. For me and others who have contacted me the main issue is losing all that reference material and all the tips that go with them is devastating.

Just wondering if any members on here know more or your thoughts with what is going on?

Edit backup file and database, I should have said
Last edited by nealpina on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

Bob
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: forum 5 BMW

Post by Bob » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:33 am

I didn't realise that was the situation over there, that's tragic. Sadly there are many forums that have fallen by the wayside with the resultant loss of accumulated knowledge over the years. I don't know what else can be done if the backup files are corrupted though. :?
B3 3.2 TOURING #062

Rav
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Rav » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:50 am

Just trying to help

I have heard that some company somewhere makes a back up of the complete internet each and every day. Could this be used to manually create a back up of all pages?

I may be wrong, but I feel your pain of loosing so much helpful data on these cars.
1999 #032 Alpina B3 3.3 saloon (UK Press Car) - Buchloe Beast
2000 Porsche Boxster S - Viola
2015 Audi A4 Avant Ultra - Wife's car
2002 VW Lupo 1.4 16v - Daughter's car

flybynite

Post by flybynite » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:10 am

https://web.archive.org

Used this when the E30 Zone was down

https://web.archive.org/web/20220121120 ... mw5.co.uk/

Tried it for the 5 and something there, maybe it is of use?

Be really sad when these forums go replaced by the Faceache generation. Such a depth of information for these cars on these forums

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: forum BMW5

Post by nealpina » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:39 pm

Thanks all and for the suggestions. I think the web.archive has been suggested to them. Not all of the sub-categories have been indexed and the body text is missing in many of threads. I wouldn't like to copy all the threads from there as it seems like an arduous task. Well done for using that for the E30 Zone when it went down, I have not logged on there in years.

People (non-ALPINA owners) are frustrated and would like to know what is going on. As someone put it to me their response to date has been non-credible
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:20 pm

This was my go to forum for the E39 as it had such a wealth of information so it's sadly missed.

I can't bring myself to use FB as the limited experiences I've had with it just don't come close to the forum although I appreciate I might be in a minority :(
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:43 pm

BarryM wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:20 pm
This was my go to forum for the E39 as it had such a wealth of information so it's sadly missed.

I can't bring myself to use FB as the limited experiences I've had with it just don't come close to the forum although I appreciate I might be in a minority :(
Agreed especially with FB is limited. The search algorithm is not designed for in-depth information which the forum has.