V1 BMW Performance Steering Wheel - Spares

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

V1 BMW Performance Steering Wheel - Spares

Post by Wellsy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi All,

I have the Performance Steering wheel fitted to my 2009 E90 D3 Bt. Yes the one that was refurbished a while ago. I have now developed a fault which means it looks good but doesn't work.
It all started a few weeks ago where the LED's and Display were on a working then all of a sudden flashed a few times then went off. I managed to turn back on but then after a while did it again. This carried on for a few day's then the unit just stopped responding at all, so now can't even turn it on.
My feeling is it could be the Control Module, rather than the Slip Ring as all other steering wheel controls work fine, gear shift and stereo controls.
I have contacted Sytner who confirm the control module is no longer available (13 year old car and already parts not available) and also tried Alpina but they can't support as its a BMW part.

So I am on the look out for any D3 Biturbo going to salvage with a Performance Wheel fitted or if by any chance anyone has a module they do not need. I also know there is a D3 out there somewhere that has a module but no steering wheel (Number 130) as this is the car where the wheel was removed but the slip ring and module left on the car.

I am going to look for the module to check for broken wires and failing that I may need to take it out of the car and see if I can open it up to check for dry joints or breaks.

Just putting this out there in case anyone has a solution or a spare V1 Performance Wheel module laying around.....
E90 D3 Biturbo 2009 No114
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

thatgreenB5

Re: V1 BMW Performance Steering Wheel - Spares

Post by thatgreenB5 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:56 pm

Sorry to say it Mark but i think youre going to struggle.

As they discontinued the parts in 2009, i can see people were asking this question on forums in 2011, 2012 etc.

I think its going to be hard seeing as the parts have all been hoovered up over the last 10 years.

I had a big look for you last night and...nada.

Good luck though.

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:42 am

thatgreenB5 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:56 pm
I had a big look for you last night and...nada.
Cheers for trying, I've been looking last few weeks and everything is coming up blank. I've even joined an M group on FB to ask if anyone there has anything.
I'm going to at some point take the wheel off again and have a good look through all the wiring, never know I might spot something. Failing that I could take the module out of the car and see if I can open it up see if anything obvious.
My Dad, who is no longer with us, would have loved this challenge being an Avionic Electrical Engineer.

At least it looks good while parked if nothing else :) :)
Black with Gold Decals
Piano black interior trim (looking for trim with Gold inlay, watch this space :P )
Upgraded Stereo system

thatgreenB5

Post by thatgreenB5 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:24 pm

Ah i'm sorry to hear about Dad. Sounds like he wouldve been right in there mate.

But yes i agree the answer is to get inside and identify the problem. Could be bad solder joint...could be moisture..could be corrrosion.

Its going to have to be a fix because replacement of parts is a non-starter!

greenelekta
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by greenelekta » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:44 pm

Might be worth contacting Baris at Carphonics, if he can't do it he may be able to recommend someone who can.

http://www.carphonics.co.uk/default.htm
E39 B10 V8S Touring Brass Metallic
Z3 M Coupe Dakar Yellow
Z4 Monaco Blue
SLK55 AMG Silver
Maserati Gransport Alfieri Grigio

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:36 pm

Yeah, hopefully an auto electrician might be able to help you out. It's probably an easier route than trying to find an original part. Even if you did, it will be the same age and could suffer the same issues......
Paul

2013 F11 B5 BiTurbo Touring #135 - Alpina Blue
2017 F33 B4S BiTurbo Cabrio #235 - Tanzanite Blue

Wellsy
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Wellsy » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:51 am

Cheers all, good suggestions. I just need to find some time now to get the unit out.
Black with Gold Decals
Upgraded Stereo system