North Yorkshire Moors

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Steve G B3S
A
A

North Yorkshire Moors

Post by Steve G B3S » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi All,

Myself and a couple of friends, all retired but young at heart, are going to be touring the North Yorkshire Moors later this year for about 5 days, probably before the school summer holidays, probably based in Pickering. I believe we have the routes sorted from a previously planned but covid delayed trip, so questions are: -
Any recommended restaurants for evening meals and likewise any recommended stop off cafes? :drool
Recommended pubs for the odd alcoholic evening? :)
Any must see sights, places to visit etc? :dance2:

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: North Yorkshire Moors

Post by hap » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:29 pm

We had a little impromptu meet at NY500 Pickering was a nice set up and nice breakfast
https://www.thealpinaregister.com/forum ... 44&t=25646
Road to Whitby is something else and there is a road cafe stop off right at the top with stunning views over the moors

Steve G B3S
A
A

Post by Steve G B3S » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Hi Hap, yes we intend to visit Whitby on the A169 via Goathland, which I think is the road you mean, so thanks. Plus on northwards on the A174 again with a stop at Staithes, amongst many other routes. We will keep a lookout for the cafe.
All we need is some recommendations for must see places, restaurants and pubs (beer) :D.

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi last summer we stayed here to visit staithes and runswick bay lovely little bnb and good breakfast sure the food would be good there

https://www.ellerbyhotel.co.uk/

We ate from cod and lobster in staithes which was nice

https://www.codandlobster.co.uk/
And worked back down to sandsend, Whitby and the five nights at Filey have food chippy recommendations too if required as being going here 10 years

JCC
AL
AL

Post by JCC » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:57 pm

We go to Helmsley for our anniversary every year - about 25 mins west of Pickering, maybe 20 in a B3S. The road up Sutton Bank to Helmsley is a lovely fast open road. We stay at The Feversham Arms which is excellent and normally have dinner at The Star at Harome (5 mins) but it is currently closed due to a fire in November - not sure when you are going/ when it will reopen, but The Pheasant (also Harome) is supposed to be very good too. In Helmsley we had a lovely dinner at The Bantam - highly recommend here - and you can wander across the road for a few scoops in The Feathers afterwards!

Steve G B3S
A
A

Post by Steve G B3S » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Thanks JCC and Hap for the suggestions. We will do a internet search and and see what comes up.
I like the reduction in time :) and I won't have the speed limiter on board, its an only blokes do so the wives will be all at home doing what they do when we are away enjoying ourselves :shock: .

woolley11
ALP
ALP

Post by woolley11 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:33 pm

Get yourself to the Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge between Hutton Le Hole and Castleton - real ales, open fires and accommodation. Same roads used by some Top Gear drives off telly.

We don’t live too far away from there and thoroughly enjoy touring the moors including Grosmont, Goathland and Pickering

Also do goto Thornton Le Dale for Mathewsons Auctions and their site at Pickering.(Bangers and Cash fame)
BMW 5 Series Touring G31 - dealer spec
Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
Triumph Dolomite Sprint
VW Golf MK1 GTi Campaign
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 MV6 (pre-facelift)
MG ZT+
Volvo 850 T5-R estate

Steve G B3S
A
A

Post by Steve G B3S » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:51 pm

Well, we've done our Yorkshire Moors Tour, stayed in Forest & Vale in Pickering and in general had a good time with good food, drank well and tried out the Moors roads. Visited Scarborough (not my idea) Whitby, Staithes, Saltburn by the Sea and of course Goathland. Found the Cod and Lobster, but fully booked and looking for staff, so perhaps next time. On the roads my favourite was the B1257 from Helmsley to Stokesly, great views and swift (if you want) with some nice twisties. It was unfortunate the moors roads were having a new surface of chippings being put down on the Hutton le Hoe road to Guisborough and some road closures near Egton Bridge that prevented some of our planned trips. All the same we had a good trip, only downside was some scrote parked a bit to close to my car Image
Attachments
P1030282.JPG
P1030282.JPG (4.31 MiB) Viewed 647 times

rodbargee
AL
AL

Post by rodbargee » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:38 pm

I think the Star at Harome is still shut post fire but do check its a very good restaurant. The B1257 from Stokesley to Helmsley is a great driving road ....as is the one from the top of Sutton BAnk Beware Scamera vans!!! there are no speed cameras in N Yorks just a few of these vans that hide periodically on such popular biking roads, they also hang out on the overpass bridges on the A1 and the A19 in either direction. Apart from the vans it's a great place to drive. Mannions in Helmsley is a great place for lunch ( not too Pricy either) Also the crab and lobster in Asenby https://crabandlobster.co.uk/restaurant/
they have rooms too just off the A19 ...Staithes is a great place to visit as is Skinningrove ( well the beach is sensational the town less so but for a walk Damn fine. Blues music every Tuesday night at the Grovsnor hotel ROBIN HOODS BAY courtesy of Steve Phillips ex Notting Hillbillys. he often has the occsasinal world famous guest. Mark Knopfler has been known to turn up ( they were the Duolon string pickers before Mark went off and did Dire straits anyway Steve is a superb blues guitarist, the gig's a residency and is FOC. beers good, and the company also. Its worth a drive off the B1257 between helmsley and Malton to have a look at Castle Howard. often seen in Brideshead. Also an interesting link to the a64 to scarborough. N YORKS IS GREAT THIRSK, RIPON, HARROGATE All close by as is wensleydale and some more great driving roads (Dent Dale road from Hawes for example as seen on top gear many times. Watch those vans, and the tightening bends! dry stone walls look fragile but theyre not. MY B5 is for sale in Stokesley too, if your passing

rodbargee
AL
AL

Post by rodbargee » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:38 pm

bump