New (old) F10 B5 BiTurbo pre-LCI No. 003 (swap for F30 D3)

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Robsouth
A
A

New (old) F10 B5 BiTurbo pre-LCI No. 003 (swap for F30 D3)

Post by Robsouth » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi All

I recently change jobs, and no longer needed the diesel economy of the F30 D3, and missed petrol in my life! I was going to wait 6 months into the new job before changing, then browsing Autotrader of a Saturday evening....you know the rest.

So I took ownership of Chassis 003 on the 8th Nov, which Ken M 44 on the forum part ex.'d for a XD3 with Better Performance. According to Paul at the dealer "i've only ever taken an Alpina in part ex. against another Alpina, you guys stick with the brand eh?!" Er, yes Paul, please price up my F30 D3 as part ex. against the B5! :lol:

24 hrs of haggling on part ex. price on the D3, and we agreed on a straight swap - no cash to change hands. So what did I sell & get in return?:
- Sold: 2014 F30 D3 Bi Turbo, 64 plate with 64k miles Sapphire black over oyster cream leather (limited options)
- Received: 2010 F10 B5 BiTurbo, 60 plate with 96k miles, Sophisto Grey over black nappa leather (fully loaded)
- cost to change = £0. Both cars valued at £23k for accounting purposes for Better Performance. Personally I think that is a pretty good deal! :D

So spec for 003 (overview, not exact) its 1 of 18 RHD Pre-LCI B5 BiTurbos:
- 4 heated seats + steering wheel
- Sunroof
- Alpina embossed nappa leather comfort seats
- HUD + lane assist
- High beam assist
- Electric everything, seats, steering wheel, boot etc.
- Privacy glass
- BMW professional loudspeakers
- Enhanced bluetooth (although I can't get it to connect to my phone yet!!)

Anyway, now 003 has been into BMW for a full check over and an Insp. II service, what have they found?
- 2 buckled alloys = £1686 (1 rear, 1 front) cost to replace from Alpina directly, fitted :doh
- Both front control arm bushes needing replacement - £1,349, fitted
- Engine drive belts worn = £246 fitted
- iDrive controller not working correctly - no "click" (broke on day 3 of my care) = £490
- Insp II service (final number TBC as waiting on Alpina to deliver spark plugs = c. £700
- Total = £4,471

From a personal point of view, I will also be looking to do (have done):
- Gearbox service with BMR
- Install Apple Car play to the now dated iDrive system (I will probably live without the "click"!!)
- Remove all chrome trim with gloss black, so the car has a cleaner look
- Replace the Alpina front splitter sticker with a fresh one
- Total = c. £700

So let's call it £5k - however, as big as that bill sounds, I am told by BMW & BMR Performance, that isn't too bad considering age & mileage - it's a good one! Thanks Ken!! :-)

So over the next few weeks I will slowly get the above sorted from BMW & BMR (to reduce costs, and get 003 in front of the UK authority on F10 B5's, BMR). Plus a local chap for the Apple car play.

So to drive; I haven't really played with it yet as I want all the work above done first so it's "on the button", but it's not as precise as the D3 and feels a bit bigger & heavier. But the suspension in comfort mode is much softer and rides better than the D3. And when you open the taps, even though the D3 was tuned, it is quicker - it has obscene shove for a car this size! Looking forward to getting everything tip top - so I can continue to hog the rearview mirror of over confident Tesla Model S drivers who think nothing can touch them for pace! :dance

Photos on Instagram @mrtoadgentlemandriver - where you will find most of my updates! :D
Current: Alpina F10 pre-LCI B5 BiTurbo #003 Sophisto Grey over Black nappa leather. 1 of 18 RHD, and 1 of 2 in this spec
Previous:
- Alpina F30 D3 BiTurbo #145 Black over oyster leather (with 20" alloys, Bus Sat Nav + aftermarket Quaife LSD & TDI Tuning remap - 421bhp/599lbft)
- E46 M3 Manual in Mystic Blue
- E60 525d M Sport in Le Mans Blue
- Mk6 Golf GTI in Carbon Steel Grey Metallic
- Mk5 Golf GTI in Laser Blue Pearl

Frosty
ALPIN
ALPIN

Re: New (old) F10 B5 BiTurbo pre-LCI No. 003 (swap for F30 D3)

Post by Frosty » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:17 pm

I had my suspension arms done, my mechanic bought from Autodoc in Germany, same lemforder arms as OEM, came in at £306 delivered. BMW price for the parts were quoted at £800.

May be worth a shop around.

Wheels are a bummer though, unless you keep and eye on Ebay/the register.

Any pics you can share here, not on IG?
D5 F11 Touring #107
B8 Touring #21 SOLD - but regretted

Robsouth
A
A

Post by Robsouth » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks Frosty

Yep, will be going for BMR to get some of the work done to keep costs down.

It appears someone on the forum is selling their 20 alloys too, which will also help! :D

Photos, I have now uploaded to Google, so you can see a few pics!!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Current: Alpina F10 pre-LCI B5 BiTurbo #003 Sophisto Grey over Black nappa leather. 1 of 18 RHD, and 1 of 2 in this spec
Previous:
- Alpina F30 D3 BiTurbo #145 Black over oyster leather (with 20" alloys, Bus Sat Nav + aftermarket Quaife LSD & TDI Tuning remap - 421bhp/599lbft)
- E46 M3 Manual in Mystic Blue
- E60 525d M Sport in Le Mans Blue
- Mk6 Golf GTI in Carbon Steel Grey Metallic
- Mk5 Golf GTI in Laser Blue Pearl

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Man them tips were bad

Frosty
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Frosty » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:09 pm

hap wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm
Man them tips were bad
I don't want to look at my tips!
D5 F11 Touring #107
B8 Touring #21 SOLD - but regretted