Low pressure fuel pump failure F31 B3s

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

sward
ALPINA
ALPINA

Low pressure fuel pump failure F31 B3s

Post by sward » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:59 am

I had an unexpected drama in my B3s Touring last bank holiday weekend. On a long drive, on an A-road, just as I had completed an overtake, my engine spluttered and lost power. I had just pulled in front of the slower car, and was unable even to maintain the speed he was travelling at. My central screen flashed up that there was no fuel (I think - I was concentrating on staying safe rather than the message- and I knew that was wrong because I had only filled up with V-Power half an hour earlier) and then it said there was a drivetrain issue. I crawled to the nearest safe place to pull over and switched off. When I switched on again the drivetrain error message was still there but it said I could continue my journey, just that full power would not be available and I should book an inspection. For the rest of the journey (another hour) the car was in limp home mode - it felt like driving a large car with an engine transplanted from a 2cv!
The next day the car started OK but the error message was still there, and I felt the engine was not running correctly, though it was now smooth again and I was able to keep up with traffic. It was probably more like a 320i now.

So I booked the car in to Sytner Oldbury, where they diagnosed a faulty low pressure fuel pump. This is the pump in the tank. They have replaced it under warranty this morning, having ordered the part overnight.

Has anyone else with an F30/31 based car experienced this? It was rather frightening.
F31 B3S Touring - No. 183

Before that: E92 D3 Biturbo No.111, and before that, E39 B10 3.3 No 056

Charles

Re: Low pressure fuel pump failure F31 B3s

Post by Charles » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:18 pm

Not my area of expertise but I'm glad the power loss didn't cause anything worse than it did as this could have been rather a nasty accident waiting to happen.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!