19" Classics on F31 D3

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Paulb
ALPINA
ALPINA

19" Classics on F31 D3

Post by Paulb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Since i've had my D3 it's been detailed 3 times and gets a regular wash and clean, but both myself and the detailer I use have struggled with the allows and getting them properly clean, they always look as though they have grease on them - if it was a 1980's FWD Ford then I'd have said a drive shaft boot had split and chucked grease drops on them.

We've tried pretty much everything decent on the market and whilst they all will remove the brake dust, it always leave the grease marks.

So today, after traveling to my detailer to get some different trade product he's trying, he suggested I visited another detailer who also has his own products.

After a good chat to him he looked over the alloys and suggested the clearcoat was at fault as it appeared too soft and not particularly well suited to withstanding the harsh environment the wheels operate in.

After after trying various fallout / iron removers, ph neutral wheel cleaners (probably them all), tar & traffic film removers etc I've had to revert to cutting them with a really mild cutting compound... so...

My question is, has anyone else faced this issue with their Classics? And if so have they found a solution (no pun) to the issue?
Nothing to see here.... move along in an orderly fashion please!
E91 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #004 - (sold)
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #032
F31 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #172
Mk1 Focus RS #516
Mk3 Focus RS Heritage #8 of only 50
and a 1987 Sierra RS Cosworth (currently being restored)