D3 Modifications

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

sumpcracker

D3 Modifications

Post by sumpcracker » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Hello.

I recently bought a D3MT, and it may be my other cars by comparison or maybe its tired after 100k. Or maybe they are a bit overhyped as I cannot really feel much/any difference in driving between it and a late 320d.

I would just throw it back out on the market and buy something else, but it seems to take at least 9 months for one to sell, the lack of interest makes me feel stuck with it so modifying it closer to the car I expected seems viable.

I like the look of it, but I now plan to fit a set of coilovers, bigger front brakes, a quick shift as the throw is very long before swapping in an engine with more cylinders..
(im well aware it will ruin the cars history and value, but I am stuck with a mint E90, I may as well make it what I want.)

Has anyone fitted coilovers to their E90? if so what did you use?
Has anyone fitted 335 brakes?

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:08 pm

Part exchange it for a D3 bi-turbo?
B3 E46 no.265

John_C
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by John_C » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Bigger brakes won't fit behind the wheels afaik.

Personally I don't think there's any point in throwing bigger brakes and coilovers at a car where the basics aren't right.

It should certainly feel considerably more sprightly than a 320d so I'd also be looking for typical mileage related issues - tired boost actuators, leaking boost hoses, that sort of stuff.

Before doing any suspension work I'd checkout the condition of the bushes, no point in chucking new suspension on tired bushes.

It would have to be a very, very tired D3 to not be able to tell the difference between it and a 320d. Any history with it? What's the build number?

Edit: when you say "late" 320d what age are we talking? Still an E90 I assume?
2010 D3 BT #97 - Sold
1998 B10 V8 #71 - Sold

Paulb
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Paulb » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:49 am

Yes you can increase the brake size on it.
There are also tuning possibilities for the engine.

Coilovers will give it a very harsh ride, the D3 ride is already a good combination of sport and comfort.

As John_C said, get all the suspension checked out before you do anything with the suspension.
Nothing to see here.... move along in an orderly fashion please!
E91 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #004 - (sold)
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #032
F31 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #172
Mk1 Focus RS #516
Mk3 Focus RS Heritage #8 of only 50
and a 1987 Sierra RS Cosworth (currently being restored)

sumpcracker

Post by sumpcracker » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:14 am

Hi, thanks for replys, the car has a full Sytner history,( I am also a vehicle technician), the suspension is harder than I expected and the road holding is not as good as I expected, some coilovers I have used on cars are better in both departments.
The does have the correct tyres, but it could be possible as with any Alpina that the shocks/springs have been replaced with lesser parts.

At the same time as fitting coilovers I will also be doing wishbones, roll bar links and top mounts.

It could be down on power, however it has no fault codes, I haven't had a chance to do a boost leak test (I will) but I cant see any oil hue from boost pipes or cooler. It pulls well to 3000rpm, not much happens after that, I even checked to make sure I had the larger turbo as I suspected it wasn't Alpina spec.
I have cleaned out the EGR and inlet manifold when I removed the swirl flaps and changed the air filter.

The wheels seem to have plenty of clearance for big brakes, I have some 4 pot Porsche calipers, which I may use with 335 discs, I just wonderd if 335 calipers will bolt up?

Im not going to throw mods on a car that isn't mechanicaly correct, but I think it is. I did drive a few before buying, but you cant really get the revs up in 3rd and 4th on a test drive so I have no comparison.

sumpcracker

Post by sumpcracker » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:51 am

sumpcracker wrote:Hi, thanks for replys, the car has a full Sytner history,( I am also a vehicle technician), the suspension is harder than I expected and the road holding is not as good as I expected, some coilovers I have used on cars are better in both departments.
It does have the correct tyres, but it could be possible as with any Alpina that the shocks/springs have been replaced with lesser parts.

At the same time as fitting coilovers I will also be doing wishbones, roll bar links and top mounts.

It could be down on power, however it has no fault codes, I haven't had a chance to do a boost leak test (I will) but I cant see any oil hue from boost pipes or cooler. It pulls well to 3000rpm, not much happens after that, I even checked to make sure I had the larger turbo as I suspected it wasn't Alpina spec.
I have cleaned out the EGR and inlet manifold when I removed the swirl flaps and changed the air filter.

The wheels seem to have plenty of clearance for big brakes, I have some 4 pot Porsche calipers, which I may use with 335 discs, I just wonderd if 335 calipers will bolt up?

Im not going to throw mods on a car that isn't mechanicaly correct, but I think it is. I did drive a few before buying, but you cant really get the revs up in 3rd and 4th on a test drive so I have no comparison.

MCB
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MCB » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:43 am

My only thoughts on this is after carrying out such extensive modifications it will no longer be a true Alpina. Coil-overs are for the street racer/drifter brigade. Alpina never intended there cars to be used in that way.

You say that you would have to wait a long time before finding a buyer if selling it on now. But if you do those modifications I doubt you will ever find a buyer when the time comes.

Maybe you should of bought a Bi-Turbo instead.
1997 E36 Alpina B3 3.2 Touring. No.66
1998 E36 1.8 Touring
1989 E30 M3.
2004 E60 530D
2004 Vauxhall Signum (for the shopping)
2002 E39 M5 (Sold)

Paulb
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Paulb » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:17 pm

sumpcracker wrote:Hi, thanks for replys, the car has a full Sytner history,( I am also a vehicle technician), the suspension is harder than I expected and the road holding is not as good as I expected, some coilovers I have used on cars are better in both departments.
The does have the correct tyres, but it could be possible as with any Alpina that the shocks/springs have been replaced with lesser parts.

Seems a bit bizarre that the suspension is very hard. Yes the damping is harder than a 320d but softer than an M spec suspension car. Perhaps it's been replaced in it's past with a stiffened suspension set up.

Power delivery is narrow in the mono turbo variant, far smoother and wider a rev range in the bi-turbo. There are mods though that will improve that both engine remaps and exhaust changes that will release more of the hidden horses.
Nothing to see here.... move along in an orderly fashion please!
E91 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #004 - (sold)
E46 B3 3.3 Saloon #032
F31 D3 Bi-turbo Touring #172
Mk1 Focus RS #516
Mk3 Focus RS Heritage #8 of only 50
and a 1987 Sierra RS Cosworth (currently being restored)

seanb
A
A

Post by seanb » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:21 pm

sumpcracker wrote:It pulls well to 3000rpm, not much happens after that, I even checked to make sure I had the larger turbo as I suspected it wasn't Alpina spec.
Does not sound right, my MT used to go from 2k-4.5k very quickly, mileage was 100k when I traded it in and it was still as good as it was when I bought it with only 20k on the clock.

Maybe the DPF is a bit clogged up and slowing he exhaust gases. You can see expected DPF replacement mileage from the on-board computer with the MT. Icon is a cylinder with dots inside it I think.
D3 BiTurbo Saloon #416
D3 BiTurbo Coupe #149 Sold 2017
D3 MT Touring #127 Sold 2012
E46 330ci M-sport Sold 2008

Evoman
AL
AL

RE: D3

Post by Evoman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:02 am

I agree, that doesn't sound right, one of the things that continues to impress me with the D3 is its ability to rev and keep pulling where other diesel turbos tend to run out of puff. It should haul from 2000rpm and even a little lower and build strongly right through to 4500rpm.

Has it had a recent fuel filter and service? The suspension should feel supple not harsh. The rubber band tyres can make potholed roads tricky and a little harsh so best avoided but overall the suspension is so well judged and I'm comparing this to cars with great handling.

Good luck! Hope you get it running as it should. What number is it?
Alpina D3 Touring

taffy223
A
A

Post by taffy223 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:37 am

I went from a Subaru Impreza to a D3MT and I have to say even though I'm down 20-30 bhp and the powerband requires different handling she goes like stink....If this is not enough for you then go for the BT.
while I love my MT when the day comes to change her I'll go for a BT.
Handling with the tyres and suspension is pretty neat for a big lump although not as sprightly as the Impreza but there is a weight difference.

Taffy

Easy-pd
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Easy-pd » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:54 pm

I was quite underwhelmed when I test drove. It was ok and I liked the looks and marque.

Then I leaned to drive it properly. Use the torque, not the revs. Keep it in the power band. May need to change gears a bit more often in moving traffic, but drive it right, not like a petrol and it's a stormer. Imo, it's not a shopping car either. I'm motorway, fast roads. 0-30 it's a diesel. 30+, ride the torque and love it for what it is. Don't rebuild it to a car it's not. Sell now and get a petrol!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.....

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by DonFlintoni » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:34 am

sumpcracker wrote: It could be down on power, however it has no fault codes, I haven't had a chance to do a boost leak test (I will) but I cant see any oil hue from boost pipes or cooler. It pulls well to 3000rpm, not much happens after that, I even checked to make sure I had the larger turbo as I suspected it wasn't Alpina spec.
Just wondered if you discovered what the issue was? It should pull well past 3000 revs so it sounds lke youve got a back pressure fault due to partially blocked DPF.

I had a similar issue and the DPF was blocked up and the pressures right down. the DPF wouldn't regenerate though due to glow plug faults.

Once new plugs were fitted and the DPF stripped and cleaned the fault codes were cleared and a forced regen initiated.

Its back to its best again.
Former Alpina owner. Having a break.

D3-No.435
AL
AL

Post by D3-No.435 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:07 am

Interesting - Were any of the suspension/brake modifications ever carried out?
Current Garage: 1992 964 C4 | 2001 Lupo GTi | 2002 Seicento Schumacher | 2005 Stilo Schumacher GP | 2011 E90 Alpina D3 (No.435) https://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vi ... 75#p182275 | 2011 E92 M3 | 2014 F30 Alpina D3 (No.153) | 2015 A3 TFSI

Previous: 1987 Fiesta 1.4S | 1990 309 GTi | 2000 Audi S3 | 2000 Mini Cooper LE500 | 2001 Bora 130TDi | 2001 E39 M5 | 2007 Audi S6 V10 | 2009 Golf GTD

hicky73
A
A

Post by hicky73 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:03 pm

D3-No.435 wrote:Interesting - Were any of the suspension/brake modifications ever carried out?
i was thinking the same thing but as mentioned here. any mods i feel carried out on these cars are just not right.... they are not true Alpinas if tinkered with.
http://www.static-caravan.co.uk/private ... ixon-croft
If your interested in a static home holiday then look no further 10% discount for alpina reg guys off this site
my Caravan for hire.