E46 B3 3.3 - Advice on two issues

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Rav
ALPINA
ALPINA

E46 B3 3.3 - Advice on two issues

Post by Rav » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:25 pm

Hi Friends.

Many of you know that I have an E46 shape B3 3.3. I love the car!
Two issues i need your help with please..

1. On acceleration, i.e. going up a hill, i get a tappet type sound from the engine. I recall that the service schedule suggests something like a valve clearance adjustment on major service ? Could this be the issue?

2. Gear selector light - mine is temperamental. It flickers and sometimes doesn't work at all. I had a quick look from the gear lever side, but is it likely to be under the car?

Also, just a nod to @Charles - I am now filling with premium 95 octane fuel as have noted better mpg and of course passing power!

Otherwise - what a car, i still love this thing.
1999 #032 Alpina B3 3.3 saloon (UK Press Car) - Buchloe Beast
2000 Porsche Boxster S - Viola
2015 Audi A4 Avant Ultra - Wife's car
2002 VW Lupo 1.4 16v - Daughter's car

Charles

Re: E46 B3 3.3 - Advice on two issues

Post by Charles » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:10 pm

Rav wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:25 pm
1. On acceleration, i.e. going up a hill, i get a tappet type sound from the engine. I recall that the service schedule suggests something like a valve clearance adjustment on major service ? Could this be the issue?
It depends on a number of factors (and my experiences):
- it could be due to oil starvation to the top of the engine (extremely unlikely)
- or it cold be cold oil (sometimes sounds louder when the engine is cold)
- or it could be valve clearance (never had to do that in 20 years and almost 400k miles)
- or it could be what you are describing is "pinking" which is due to incorrect fuel/air mix (or a failing HG but the 3.3 is virtually bulletproof in that department)
2. Gear selector light - mine is temperamental. It flickers and sometimes doesn't work at all. I had a quick look from the gear lever side, but is it likely to be under the car?
Is this the dashboard display or the lights on the centre console alongside the gear lever?

If it is the latter, it's relatively easy to lift the wood surrounds and check for a loose connection
Also, just a nod to @Charles - I am now filling with premium 95 octane fuel as have noted better mpg and of course passing power!
Hopefully you are using 98 RON which is the super unleaded E5 fuel, rather than the watered down 95 RON E10 stuff ...
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Rav
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Rav » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:26 pm

Thanks Charles.

On the second point - yes it is the little led indicator next to the gear lever. It flickers - I will take a look today.

I meant 99 RON E5, apologies. The car is so much more powerful.

The sounds is like what my dad used to describe as pinking on his hillman avenger.
1999 #032 Alpina B3 3.3 saloon (UK Press Car) - Buchloe Beast
2000 Porsche Boxster S - Viola
2015 Audi A4 Avant Ultra - Wife's car
2002 VW Lupo 1.4 16v - Daughter's car

hashluck
ALPI
ALPI

Post by hashluck » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:38 pm

The gear cog display problem could be a failing gear position sensor - common E46 fault and an easy fix.

The noise you describe does sound a bit like pinking. Worth a sniff test to check head gasket all well as well.