D5 F11 with a questionable engine

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Faust

D5 F11 with a questionable engine

Post by Faust » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:23 pm

Hello everyone!

I have the opportunity to purchase d5 with around 230000km a very reasonable price. It also has a excellent spec.
The only catch is that it has a slight knock, which is most likely caused by a faulty hydraulic lifters or spun rod bearings.

Are spun bearings a thing on the n57 ? I thought this was only a thing on the e9x me and e6x m5?

I’m not sreten from e39m5restorations, but I’m a decent wrench with acces to a lift.

Ever the optimist, I’m hoping it’s just the lifters,
I’m aware that any intervention on the cylinder head means retiming the engine. And if would do this, i’d also replace the upper timing chain ( lower perhaps too ? ) transmission filter change, waterpump, thermostat+ housing, all 24 lifter&rockers, dif oil, filters, liquids… and perhaps any other things that need attention( coolant hoses for example).
Is also worth replacing the high pressure fuel pump “while I’m in there”?

So my car enthousiast maths tell me that I could have a nice good running d5 for under 20k. Which seems like a good deal, but is though ?

he he current owner has put a lot of money and given it everything it needs (10k oil changes etc), the sort of person you want to buy from.

Is this worth pursuing this on a f11 d5 with a dodgy engine ?

Incidentally can anyone tell me if I can put on 19” or 18” wheels, the roads to where I’ll be moving aren’t to great and it would be cool to have some meatier winter tyres.
Will I run into clearance issues with the brakes ?

Look forward to your replies.