D5s vs B5s

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

737BBJ

D5s vs B5s

Post by 737BBJ » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:48 pm

Hi all,

New to the forum and a long time BMW fan, have a 2007 e92 335i and a 2019 f48 X1 M-sport. The X1 is getting a bit small for us for longer trips, I am 192 cms tall, my wife has to have the passenger seat quite far up to fit our daughter’s car seat behind her and the trunk just doesn’t do it for us with more than a couple of bags. It’s a great little “around town” kinda car, especially as we live in southern Europe with often tight roads and parking spots, but we need more comfort for the longer journeys. I also really miss having some umpf under the hood, lets just say the 20d engine in the X1 leaves a lot to desire besides good gas mileage.

As we were car shopping in 2018 we were considering the f11 Alpina D5 and I did test drive one at Faba in Mönchen-Gladbach, but due to a smoking deal on the X1 we ended up with that. Now however it’s finally time to become an Alpina owner.

I am considering both the g31 D5s and B5s 2018-2020 models, but I have a few questions before deciding whether to pick the diesel burner or the petrol monster.

1. I have no doubt that the B5 offers a one of a kind experience being the 608 hp super estate that it is, but the D5 is no slouch either. Really how bad is the gas mileage on the B5? Does it justify the bigger fun meter vs the diesel? Our X1 currently sits at 32000 kms which includes a 3000 kms delivery drive from Stockholm to our home and then a 2220 kms round trip to Italy as well, I expect the Alpina to be driven quite a bit less annually than our X1, and most likely most of the time it will be driven on longer drives. Maybe the pain at the pump won’t be as bad as I am envisioning.

2. At what mileage should I put the cut off point when purchasing a D or B5 respectively? When do the big ticket items start to rear their ugly heads on them respectively?

3. I have been (just a little) eyeing the X5 as well as it looks like it may offer slightly more space in the trunk. How does the X5 compare to the g31 in regards to the leg space in the rear seat? Obviously I would lose the performance of an Alpina if going with an X5, something I really don’t think I am willing to do after longing for one for so long.

4. Are there any other considerations I may be missing when looking at these cars?

JCC
AL
AL

Re: D5s vs B5s

Post by JCC » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:45 pm

Hi, since 2017 I have had G models D5, M5, B5 touring, D5s again - mpg have been 40/22/25/43 but the 43 is only based on the first 500 miles on the new one.
B5 is lovely but unless you are really on it the D5 is a better day to day car for my mileage and still sounds really good albeit not a V8.
I had a F15 40d X5 for 40,000 miles ave 35mpg - nice car and brisk but no Alpina - not a patch on a D/B5 to drive - the biggest difference other than performance is the ride quality.
But you would have better (and higher) rear legroom!

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:20 pm

A B5 is a Heart, Head car. The D5 a Head, Heart Car.
My G31 B5 is my daily, she works hard for her living racking up business miles. Then, she gets used as a shed at weekends for transporting lord knows what. (By virtue of being an immensely practical large estate).

If I want to enjoy myself, she can deliver shattering acceleration combined with tremendous grip, poise and balance, even at the limit. If you enjoy that sort of thing, then your stomach and spine can soon become very well acquainted!

I honestly couldn’t drive anything else, it delivers in all departments, especially the one that eats miles in effortlessly sublime comfort. That said, so will the diesel.

Fuel economy? Town work = 18-22mpg Mixed motoring = 22- 28mpg M.way = 28-35mpg

If you can afford to buy a new one, why worry about the fuel consumption. If you buy used, then consumption does become a factor. I bought slightly used and yes, I did consider the mpg fully intending to use my G31 530d day to day. I didn’t happen, I couldn’t keep out of the Alpina, the diesel went.

Bits that break? That’s a $64000 dollar question. Body parts, ventilation, electronics, steering, suspension etc will be, by and large, common between the two. Obviously there is a massive difference in the power plants, the V8 being immensely complicated by comparison.

I change the oil every 7.5K and don’t use the 0w-30 specified by BMW, I use Mobil 1 ESP X3 0w-40. The transmission fluid will be changed shortly at 50K (BM say sealed for life!)
Brake Pads lasted 38K, the rotors are still good with the current set of replacement pads and will require renewing at around 75/80K.
Brake fluid every 2 years, Spark Plugs 30K. Air and microfilter 20K (do yourself).
Tyres: PZero 4 Alp marked, front summers will last 20-25K and the rears about 8K as I do "enjoy" the car.

I would guess electrical gremlins or elastomer fails will be the big cause of long-term ownership costs, probably starting after year 5 or 6.
Fastidious maintenance keeps cars going, a good OBD reader or a copy of ISTA can help with this, picking stuff up long before it happens.
To work on the B5 yourself is almost impossible. The engine bay is crammed with “stuff” even a simple job requires loads of things stripping off with the consequential labour bill for replacing even a cheap part.
Tough call, depends on your criteria. I went B5 as the Touring D5 isn’t available in the UK and you know what? I don’t regret a single penny.
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

737BBJ

Post by 737BBJ » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:05 pm

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for your replies.

B5 over D5 is definitely a “heart” decision, one which is hard to set a $ amount to. Unfortunately I am not in the position to buy a new one, but I must say the real life B5 mpg mentioned above by Grumpy appears surprisingly good. Looking at the numbers at mobile.de it looks like quite a “slurper”, but your numbers are easier on the eyes.

Last week a greatly specced, low mileage at a great price D5 came up on mobile.de and I quickly sent the dealer a message and also followed up with a phone call which both went unanswered, but sadly it must have gone instantly as the ad was taken down only a couple of days after it was listed. So, the hunt continues.

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:05 pm

FYI from my handbook.
Handbook.png
Handbook.png (2.2 MiB) Viewed 572 times
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

737BBJ

Post by 737BBJ » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:07 pm

Another question. Is a 100k kms 2018 D5s anything to be wary of buying in regards to reliability? I assume it’s not really engine wise it being a diesel, but what about suspension parts?

737BBJ

Post by 737BBJ » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 pm

Well, the Alpina will have to wait. A very well equipped and cared for 2015 f11 535xD came up locally at a great price, which means I don’t have to go through the hassle of importing a car. Turns out it was a friend selling his car so I also know the history of it, a big bonus.

The Alpina dream still lives on though, I am waiting to see how bad this economic downturn will be. I have saved maybe ten different Alpinas on mobile.de and none of them are selling and the prices keep dropping. In my opinion things will get a lot worse before it gets better, so I am keeping my powder for an Alpina purchase dry.