B5 Parts

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

nickvel

B5 Parts

Post by nickvel » Fri May 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Hello

Can anyone advise what front shock absorbers and rear brake discs would fit an Alpina B5 saloon from 2005 (E60). Searched high and low but no joy.

Thanks
Nick

Gee.Singh
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: B5 Parts

Post by Gee.Singh » Fri May 20, 2022 6:07 pm

nickvel

Post by nickvel » Wed May 25, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks for the parts cataogue - finding parts difficult to get hold of.

Was hoping there might be some aftermarket supplier that would do compatibvle discs/pads. Appreciate any further thoughts.

thatgreenB5

Post by thatgreenB5 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:19 pm

Hi nickvel,

To start off, Alpina do not control the markup BMW dealers put on their kit...

Ultimately you can get a full suspension kit from FMW Tuning...last time i checked they were charging 1k which is less than the price of 2 shocks from BMW.

I got quoted £565 a corner for shocks a few years ago and it was £175 a spring but now closer to £230 a spring. The full kit from FMW is therefore great value.

The brakes have been explored a fair few times. They're a pain because theyre a lot of money for quite a basic, albeit Alpina specific, disc.

Rear discs are unique to the car. I think i paid 750 for mine from BMW. I paid 900 for fronts...plus pads and fitting. To put that in perspective, the front discs on an E39 V8S were 2k and are now available for around 1200...so not the worst.

You can get the discs from FMW too but you will pay a bulky item surcharge to post to the UK and I think that was 90 euros, so it only ended up 50 quid cheaper than buying from BMW dealer in UK.

There are alternatives for both.

You can fit drilled M5/M6 discs if you grind off the mounting lug but they aren't the right discs for the car. They are half the price. They are more rumbly, with less braking power.

You can also fit Bilstein B6 or B8 shocks which are around £600 but they're no cheaper than the Alpina shocks from FMW. They are marginally firmer and quite a bit heavier. It's up to you whether you want to retain the ride and OEM status, and also how you drive it.

Keeping the car OEM is desirable.

I could say more but digest that for a minute.

HTH

Chris

nickvel

Post by nickvel » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:09 pm

That's great detail - thanks Chris.

Apologies for delay - didn't get a note that you'd posted. Cant find where to switch notifications on.

May come back to you if I get stuck as you seem very knowledgeable.

Cheers
Nick

thatgreenB5

Post by thatgreenB5 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm

nickvel wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:09 pm
That's great detail - thanks Chris.

Apologies for delay - didn't get a note that you'd posted. Cant find where to switch notifications on.

May come back to you if I get stuck as you seem very knowledgeable.

Cheers
Nick
No worries...I've had mine for a while so I've seen a bit of maintenance.