F1X owners question

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Frosty
ALPIN
ALPIN

F1X owners question

Post by Frosty » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:26 pm

Hi all,

I need to get some new tyres and interested to know what summers/4season people are running on their car?

Then a question when trawling through the various options, I notice for Michelin that the PS4S are shown with and without a BMW designation, but the BMW comes with a price premium, can I ask what the difference is, surely not just BMW appearing on the sidewall?

Cheers for the help.
D5 F11 Touring #107
B8 Touring #21 SOLD - but regretted

Grumpyjohn1957
ALP
ALP

Re: F1X owners question

Post by Grumpyjohn1957 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:57 pm

I’m probably in a minority of one by saying P Zero. Everybody else to a man will say run on PS4. Personally, I think the Pirellis suit the B5 perfectly, mine are Alp marked so I can safely drive at 200mph. (Apparently)
In answer to your question about the BMW *mark. Various compounds are used to create the treads across the width of the tyre. The combination used is derived & developed by the car manufacturer working in conjunction the tyre manufacture to suit vehicle characteristics. The cordings and compounds used in the tyre carcase also differ.
You could for example fit JAG marked tyres and probably not notice any difference, its highly likely though the tyres construction will be totally different from a BM marked tyre. (Despite looking the same) Apparently, it’s a right science and an awful lot of R&D goes into it behind the scenes.
With Xdrive (and I’m not totally convinced about this) the difference in rolling diameter is quite critical, especially between front and rear. It is possible to damage the transfer box by having a too bigger difference leading to diff' wind up.
A *marked tyre provides precise sizing tolerances in the finished product as well as constructional differences from those with other markings.

You could fit more or less anything, from £40 Chinese ditch finders to mid-price ATS/Kwik Fit etc own brands to top quality high price rubber. It’s a personal choice dependant on how you use your car, how you value the driving experience and your safety. They mark ‘em for a reason, and it’s not the size of your wallet!
Some good stuff on YouTube about this, worth hunting out.
John
2019 G31 B5 Biturbo Touring #336 - Sophisto Grey
(Brunhilda)

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:01 pm

Hi Paul,

I'm running the PS4S Summers and Pilot Alpin PA5 winters.

Have to say, I'm not sure if they are the BMW specific ones or not....
Paul

2013 F11 B5 BiTurbo Touring #135 - Alpina Blue
2017 F33 B4S BiTurbo Cabrio #235 - Tanzanite Blue

Frosty
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Frosty » Sun May 01, 2022 4:24 pm

Thanks both.

Will see what is about and update once fitted.
D5 F11 Touring #107
B8 Touring #21 SOLD - but regretted

ScooBeeFive
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ScooBeeFive » Sun May 01, 2022 8:57 pm

The winters are very thin on the ground on at the moment. I need a new one after a puncture a couple of months back. Hopefully they will be come more available over the summer.
Paul

2013 F11 B5 BiTurbo Touring #135 - Alpina Blue
2017 F33 B4S BiTurbo Cabrio #235 - Tanzanite Blue