B10 V8 - Washer jets

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Pencraig

B10 V8 - Washer jets

Post by Pencraig » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi,

Any advice on how to fix the windscreen washer jets please?

Driver's side - no water at all. Passenger side - some water but not hitting the windscreen. Wipers work OK.

DIY fix or requires technician?

Thanks

Rob

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: B10 V8 - Washer jets

Post by BarryM » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:51 pm

A few options, you could try sticking a pin in the nozzles to make sure they're not blocked but realistically it sounds like a faulty pump or the washer hose might be starting to perish if it's never been replaced. If you open the bonnet and don't see any fluid after activating the washers (check under the bonnet insulation too) you can discount the hoses. Unfortunately the pump is behind the driver side wheel liner so wheel off and remove the liner to access the reservoir and pump. I'd suggest this is a DIY job and there's bound to be something on YouTube if you're unsure what you're doing. I'm assuming you've filled up the reservoir first :D
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:54 pm

2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold

Alpina Jim
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Alpina Jim » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:25 pm

And here's one I prepared earlier, well about 2 weeks ago, definitely a relatively easy diy job.

The new right hand pump is the one for the windscreen jets and the old left hand one is for the headlight washers. The other third pump is on the intensive wash bottle under the bonnet if you have one.
My screen washers reduced to a mere dribble and then nothing very quickly, no obvious gunge in the system as I always keep the washer additive to a good mix.
The new pump was a Meyle 2 year guarantee item and cost me £8.99 delivered from ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392286717118 . I also renewed the rubber washer and mini filter (BMW only item for about £7.50 delivered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184035974151 ) that the pump fits in to. Good job that I bought it as the old washer broke up as I removed the old pump.
The fiddliest job as usual is removing the wheel arch liner without damaging the paint on the sharp edge of the rolled wheel arch. I am sure many a scab on an E39 arch is caused by damage when the liners are removed / refitted. I have had to touch in the edge on one of mine before, probably something that would not get done by a mechanic.
One other item you will need is several wheel arch liner plastic retaining rivets, fortunately I had a few spare from a previous job.

As usual I took the opportunity to coat all the arch liner retaining bolts with a bit of waxoyl for rust protection along with a few other bits of the inner wing etc. Also a good clean and polish of the rear of the road wheel, nothing like doing a good OCD job in my book. :lol:

Note that the parts I used were for my 98 B10 and are probably the same for other years but check just in case.
Attachments
Screen pump.jpg
Screen pump.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 973 times
Jim

'98 B10 3.2 #174 in Alpina Blue owned since 13th Sept 2002.

greenelekta
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by greenelekta » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:44 pm

Pull the bonnet sound deadening down from the back of the bonnet and see if a tube has come off the washer jets, if so push back on.
E39 B10 V8S Touring Brass Metallic
Z3 M Coupe Dakar Yellow
Z4 Monaco Blue
SLK55 AMG Silver
Maserati Gransport Alfieri Grigio

Pencraig

Post by Pencraig » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks everyone. Problem solved.
Tubes were located but not fully pushed home and the sound deadening was absorbing the water and didn't show up on quick inspection!
Simples!