E30 Alpina B6 2.8 Ignition swap

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Sechserreihe

E30 Alpina B6 2.8 Ignition swap

Post by Sechserreihe » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:53 pm

I've been chasing down a flywheel for my 1984 B6 2.8 (E30) for a while now. These were special made by AFT and included an anti-magnetic shielding metal affixed to the TDC ring gear tooth. Only these type of flywheel will work with the Alpina AFT (Atlas Fahrzeugtechnik) ignition system for the M30B28 they stuffed into the car.

My flywheel is damaged. The shielding metal (Mu-Metal) has worn off and I've tried everything to re-attach a new piece, including altering the tooth with a dremmel tool. No luck in finding a good used one either. No longer avail from Alpina in Germany nor here in the States.

I'm assuming Alpina used this type of system to work with the modified 2.8 liter unit after they've increased horsepower to 220. Not sure why they didn't stick with a Bosch ignition system. Is there an ignition system aftermarket or Bosch that I can install to finally get this car running again?

The AFT system consists of said flywheel, AFT crank sensor (hall sensor), AFT smartbox computer that resides next to the ECU in the glovebox.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to avoid an engine swap although an M30B35 with equal horsepower would fit perfectly since I've already got the Alpina modified motor mounts, radiator, etc for my M30B28. An ignition switch is much preferred.

Thanks,

Mark
Columbus, Ohio
1984 B6 2.8/1