D3BT tyre advice - michelin PS2 vs pilot super sports

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

rednblack

D3BT tyre advice - michelin PS2 vs pilot super sports

Post by rednblack » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi, I know tyre questions have been raised several times on the forum, however i'm after advice from people who have moved to pilot super sports and if they are better, same or worse in whatever way than the PS2's ?

I'm due to replace my original tyres on my D3BT at 19k miles fronts & rears so interested in best option as tested by you guys ?? I'm happy with the PS2's but always looking to improve......

Estoril Sport
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Estoril Sport » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:38 pm

I needed a full set of new tyres so I used this opportunity to go with the PSS tyres.

I was very happy with them when I had them on (now on winters tyres). There were more expensive than the PS2! however from reading the PSS perform better, and new Alpina's B3 also now come with PPS tyres.

One of the reasons for going with the PSS instead of the PS2 I was concerned with availability as they have stopped manufacturing the PS2 now so if in the future you are unfortunate to have a puncture a PS2 may be difficult to source.
Present: Porsche 911.2 S4
Manual transmission, rear wheel steering, sports suspension and exhaust. Chrono Pack, 18 way Sports seats, plus other goodies!
http://carscapes.byethost33.com/

sward
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by sward » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:47 am

My brother moved from PS2s via something odd (not sure if Conti sports) to Pilot Super Sports, on his Roadster S. He's of the opinion that the PSS are better than the PS2s: grippier and he thinks quieter too. I drove his car on a track day at Oulton Park, mostly in the wet, last November, it was wearing PSSs, and I have to say it went very nicely indeed. Obviously you will eventually run out of grip in the wet (on any tyre!), but it's well-telegraphed and you can feel it happening, so it's not dramatic. I'd go for PSSs on the D3BT when I next need to replace my summer tyres (PS2s at the moment). Not likely to be in 2014 though.