Alpina D3 Touring Wanted - Is DPF Removal An Option ?

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Cramond

Alpina D3 Touring Wanted - Is DPF Removal An Option ?

Post by Cramond » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi, I'm looking to buy a D3 Touring and have been doing a bit of research over the past couple of months to try and learn a little bit more about them. The more I read, the more I'm persuaded that they are sort of Holy Grail blend of performance, economy, decent handling, load carrying, handsome and reliable. Certainly second-hand. Due to budgetary constraints I will be looking at the sub- £10,000 category. So a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to:

1.Single Turbo v BiTurbo - is there any merit in the suggestion that the single Turbo is more reliable than the bi-turbo option?(If we ignore the fact that simply by being 2 of them there are twice as many things that could go wrong).

2. DPF - I've been advised to check if this has been replaced as it is potentially an expensive fix. Is it really £1.5-£2k or higher ? A work round I have seen on a car for sale is where the DPF has been removed & car engine remapped for economy. The EGR has also been blanked. I realise this is not ideal but is this likely an MOT Fail ? Gov.uk suggests it is where DPF was fitted to a car as standard. Are there other issues other than may be slight increase in emissions?
There is a suggestion you can clean the filters by jetwashing see here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbR0nInVk50

Any advice appreciated.
Cramond
Just Sold Mercedes S55AMG & Keen to Replace with "Sensible" Alpina D3 Touring
Also Vintage Porsche 911 - 1984 Supersport Cabriolet RUF Conversion
Also member of www.fantasygarage.co.uk :-D :-D

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: Alpina D3 Touring Wanted - Is DPF Removal An Option ?

Post by PerryGunn » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:34 pm

[Soapbox]
Removal of a DPF is incredibly anti-social - they're installed for a reason and there's a potential fine of up to £1000 if they're removed. I, for one, hate following diesels that blast out huge amounts of soot as they accelerate.
[/Soapbox]

As far as an MOT goes - It’s illegal to drive a vehicle that has had its DPF removed. MOT testers are required to check if DPFs have been tampered with or removed. If there are visible signs of tampering, the tester must refuse to test the car.
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

bobbly
ALPI
ALPI

Post by bobbly » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:13 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:34 pm
[Soapbox]
Removal of a DPF is incredibly anti-social - they're installed for a reason and there's a potential fine of up to £1000 if they're removed. I, for one, hate following diesels that blast out huge amounts of soot as they accelerate.
[/Soapbox]

As far as an MOT goes - It’s illegal to drive a vehicle that has had its DPF removed. MOT testers are required to check if DPFs have been tampered with or removed. If there are visible signs of tampering, the tester must refuse to test the car.

Thoroughly agree. Do not be a dick and remove a DPF. Anyone with chest related issues (and don't forget, we still have covid in our midst) will pay for the ignorance of those who remove their DPF.

Re single to twin: the single turbo is highly bespoke and when they fail they are a PITA for repair. Also the M47 engine is nowhere near the N47 for reliability (especially wrt DPF regen sequence....) or flexibility and refinement. The M47 is actually a tractor in comparison :lol: The Monoturbo cars are prone to major engine seal breakdown and leakage, flywheel issues and clutch judder. The biturbo can have clutch judder, but that is avoided if you buy the auto. Pre LCI cars (eg D3, not D3BT) are less well built. There was a major quality upgrade of the basic vehicles at LCI time

balance, handling and looks make the D3Biturbo a great car to own. Inexpensive to own, too

Good luck

Cheers
Bobbly

ttrill
ALPI
ALPI

Post by ttrill » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:29 pm

bobbly wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:13 pm
PerryGunn wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:34 pm
[Soapbox]
[/Soapbox]

Thoroughly agree. Do not be a dick and remove a DPF. Anyone with chest related issues (and don't forget, we still have covid in our midst) will pay for the ignorance of those who remove their DPF.

Re single to twin: the single turbo is highly bespoke and when they fail they are a PITA for repair. Also the M47 engine is nowhere near the N47 for reliability (especially wrt DPF regen sequence....) or flexibility and refinement. The M47 is actually a tractor in comparison :lol: The Monoturbo cars are prone to major engine seal breakdown and leakage, flywheel issues and clutch judder. The biturbo can have clutch judder, but that is avoided if you buy the auto. Pre LCI cars (eg D3, not D3BT) are less well built. There was a major quality upgrade of the basic vehicles at LCI time

balance, handling and looks make the D3Biturbo a great car to own. Inexpensive to own, too

Good luck

Cheers
Bobbly
I can also voice Blobby's views on the D3BT. I have a saloon and it is absolutely sublime and handles like a dream. It's quick enough for day to day use and if you short shift the powerband is relentless. When looking for mine a key factor was what service intervals the car had been stuck to. If it was the BMW 16K intervals I'd walk away, it simply invelops too many problems down the line.

I'm sure you would've heard of "N47" and "Timing Chain" before in a sentence. The chain snapping is influenced by the intervals, not driving styles. Hence why this made so many ripples as most 320D's that suffered from this were ex fleet car so would've only been serviced to the BMW intervals which just over stresses the chain and the tensioners causing failiure. Later cars (2011 onwards) have revised chains and tensioners meaning they should be up to the job but I personally wouldn't risk it.

The engine itself is 123D derived and the internals were never actually touched by alpina so in the event something does go pop parts are not too hard to come by.

Auto box's want respect and probably an oil change pre 100K to keep them nice smooth.

Good luck with the search and feel free to drop me a PM if you have a question.
Toby

2011 D3BT #454
2019 440i Gran Coupe

Ninety Right

Post by Ninety Right » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:43 am

Pick one with a good no expense spared history, with 6k-12k mile oil* change intervals with OE dpf, OE egr and OE Alpina ECU/map. Depending if it's been a city car or distance car (good for regular dpf regen/clean) it will vary on the inevitable diesel soot build up in dpf/egr/inlet manifold & sensors. Ultimately if it's had the right oil & changes, run on decent fuel and been through good service hands its normally a good sign.

Any removal of the dpf or egr really requires a remap which could push it beyond the the safety margins of the OE Alpina map. Some people have no problems after remaps whilst others end up with engine, turbo, transmission or emissions issues. All down to the calibre of the remapper, degree of remap and how it's driven. A big topic of debate. Mine has been left STD plus it has good oil change history and the dpf/egr have not posed any issues. Dpf soot build up is normally cleared by dpf regeneration that occurs when required during basic operation. At some point ash build up in the dpf (not something regeneration clears) might call for removal & renewal or removal & chemical/mechanical clean.

D3 BiT can suffer with clutch judder on the manual depending on how it's been driven. To resolve it a newflywheel & clutch kit is the way to go. I cannot comment on how the autos perform on the maintenance front.

Beyond 75k miles the shocks and springs will prob want a refresh to restablish the orig ride height, handling & feel. Secondary suspension components will depend on if it's had a kerbed & potholed life or not.

* Alpina d3bit handbook says 10w-60 or 5w-50 whilst many use LL04/ACEA-3 (dpf friendly - low saps) spec 5w-30. In my experience no 10w-60 LL04/ACEA-3 exists. I think Millers and/or Motul used to do dpf compatible 5w-50 but in more recent times I've only found 5w30 or 5w-40.

👍
- Ninety Right

BMW Alpina E90 D3 BiTurbo