D3 2.0 or 3.0

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

floz61
ALP
ALP

D3 2.0 or 3.0

Post by floz61 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi All,

I have previously only owned Petrol version Alpinas, e30,e36 and e46 but would be interested in your thoughts on the 2 litre and 3 litre diesel cars.
Pros and cons and what to look out for would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Mark

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: D3 2.0 or 3.0

Post by DonFlintoni » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:37 am

floz61 wrote:Hi All,

I have previously only owned Petrol version Alpinas, e30,e36 and e46 but would be interested in your thoughts on the 2 litre and 3 litre diesel cars.
Pros and cons and what to look out for would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Mark
D3MT & BT common faults: Door lock actuators, blocked washer bottle, dual mass flywheel vibration, leaking fuel filler/overflow pipe.

MT specific faults:

Blocked DPF caused by failing glow plugs/glow plug relay
Acceleration flat spots and lag cause by big turbo

MT specific cons: custom garret turbo - expensive to fix/replace.
Eats rear tyres if driven hard.
Performs to ~95% capability on 'budget' tyres - michelins are best but they dont last as long and make driving challenging in the wet when beyond 50% worn.

MT positives: 45mpg+ on motorway driving. Plenty of oomph for overtaking. Great balance of chassis and suspension means it handles really well. Comfortable ride considering low profile tyres.
Good looking car inside and out - still turns heads at 12 years old.
Former Alpina owner. Having a break.

floz61
ALP
ALP

Post by floz61 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Thank you for that, does anyone have any input for BT and the differences between 2 and 3 litre models. :roll:

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:42 am

floz61 wrote:Thank you for that, does anyone have any input for BT and the differences between 2 and 3 litre models. :roll:
Depends what your target is. Faster, or nimbler.

E9x D3biturbo is best handling Alpina I've owned by a long chalk due to weight distribution. F3x D3biturbo is far quicker, but that has its limits of desirably imo and higher all round costs. I prefer the looks of the E9x which is why I went back to one, albeit petrol, but that's an individual subjective opinion. E9x lci is super reliable and a better built base car than the pre LCI MT, and doesn't have the M47 reliability concerns and service costs. Just watch cars with high (>120k) mike's as cam chains can be an issue on poorly maintained cars with incorrect oil grades.
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

floz61
ALP
ALP

Post by floz61 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:41 am

Thank you ! :D

DogWagen
ALP
ALP

Post by DogWagen » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Not sure if this helps or hinders. I have had 2 E91s - both 3 litre diesel, standard BMW. One was a 325d and the other is my 335d daily. The engine is a jewel and the car is smooth, lots of torque, sweetly handling and surprisingly frugal. Both achieved >43mpg on the daily commute even with >120K miles Issues to watch for are:

intercooler pipe seals (they do go with age) but are an easy but filthy fix due to the fact that oil tends to seep out.

The intercooler exit pipe (aluminium, cold side) can be chafed through by a poorly positioned coolant pipe. I have repaired by welding to save the £300 replacement cost Ought to post up the how-to....

Thermostats (x2) tend to stick open with age - you need to check running temperature is >85C either with a diagnostic box or the hidden menu. Simple to change (EGR thermostat is a 15 min job)

Vacuum pipes and Crankcase ventilation valves fail with age - again simple DIY change.

At higher mileages, the lower suspension arms wear at the ball joints and the bushes - simple to replace with Lemforder parts and not expensive.

Summary - great to drive and will be better in the Alpina versions....but I still prefer my E46 B3s!!