D3 BT questions

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Fozzie25

D3 BT questions

Post by Fozzie25 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:36 pm

Hello people,

I’ll soon be looking at purchasing a E90 D3 BT Alpina and had a few questions if anyone can help with some honest answers please?

I know these are fitted with the N47 engine are these a ticking time bomb that should be avoided? I have friends and have heard of people with 1 series diesels where timing chains jump and potentially worst case this can cause engine failure?

I know most of these cars will have done around 100k miles now and if any EGR problems occur how easy are these to sort? Are parts like EGR coolers the same as a 320d or are they Alpina specific?

Any other things I need to keep an eye on or look at changing/replacing on these cars?

Thanks
D3 BT #356

ttrill
ALPI
ALPI

Re: D3 BT questions

Post by ttrill » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:21 pm

Hi Frozzie,

Welcome to the forum, the D3BT’s are great cars but not without their issues.

I don’t recall any BT’s dropping their chain but to be on the safe side, I’d change them anyway. There’s not any Alpina parts involved in this so it’s very straight forward for a regular garage to do. The EGR is also standard BMW.

Make sure to get one with excellent history, that’s the key to a healthy N47, I change my oil every 6-8K.

One other major thing to look out for at this mileage is to make sure that if any suspension work has been carried out that it’s been done to original standards. The car has Alpina specific front top mounts that people often swap in for Cheaper alternatives.
Toby

2011 D3BT #454
2019 440i Gran Coupe

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Re: D3 BT questions

Post by ali » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:48 am

A lot of the worry is from misinformed internet mechanics that don't really know what they are on about
As iterated servicing and regular oil changes keep them ticking sweetly.
I own 2 x D3 BT one is on 134k and the other on 163k both on original chains
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098