ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by simon13 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:43 am

interesting........

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 am

ali-bumble wrote:Ooooohh How tantalisingly close
Roll on the weekend
Being the B3S I take it you have the later thinner climate control panel with the extra buttons then?
Not originally as my car was built 02/2003 and the new unit came in 04/2003, but as part of the upgrade, I acquired a previously loved version of the updated and shallower 12 button climate control panel which will give me a bit more space behind the Dynavin.

Mind you, as I don't have additional amps etc, the amount of wires behind will not be excessive, so I am hoping for a relatively easy install.

Famous last words!!!!!
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:52 am

All done and I am delighted :D

The install was relatively straightforward but I took my time. The most challenging part was routing the various USB cables (ipod and phone) through to the centre console but I am really pleased with the result.

The Dynavin functionality is superb - screen display is excellent, connectivity is seamless and I still have control via the steering wheel :D The sat nav appears to work well (based on a short test run this evening) and the updating service is very easy to manage. The in-built Parrot bluetooth phone function is intuitive, easy to set-up and navigate and voice/sound quality is good. Finally, sound quality is impressive, even on the standard speaker system.

At this stage, I have chosen to not install the additional DAB tuner (which was supplied free with the main unit) for a number of reasons - I am not convinced that DAB offers me anything more than I already get and the window-mounted aerial is obtrusive and ugly. However, I am considering a roof-mounted sharkfin aerial which would utilise the existing hole for the redundant phone aerial - but I am not convinced yet.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow as it is now stupid o'clock in the morning, but I wanted to get my thoughts down while they are fresh.
Charles

Charles

Post by Charles » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:46 pm

As promised! Picture quality is not great but hopefully you get the idea ...

One of the install showing the relocated (and upgraded) climate control panel - not forgetting the non-OEM cup holder!

Here's where I was running the USB cables - note the new centre console unit and the USB port install in the rear section (I was rather pleased with that one):

Finally, a shot of the unit "in action":

So far, I am really pleased with it but I need more time to properly get to know what it is capable of. In the meantime, I am delighted with the fresh look in the cabin - particularly as it cost me 25% of what BMW wanted for a factory fitted satnav 15 years ago :D
Charles

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 am

Was the install a straightforward enough process?
I've yet to prise my old CD business unit out to see what lurks behind!!
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:57 pm

ali-bumble wrote:Was the install a straightforward enough process?
I've yet to prise my old CD business unit out to see what lurks behind!!
Took my time, took lots of photos for reference (not for publishing) and swore a lot but got there with a little bit of assistance from No2 daughter as I needed a small pair of hands at one point to feed cables from behind the unit into the space behind the glovebox as I was manipulating the unit into its own space.
Charles