Find me a (newish) fast tow car

Place to talk about Fast cars in general

Moderator: neil

MCR01

Post by MCR01 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:56 pm

Been and looked at the X3; with all the kit I carry it's just too small.
Anymore inputs from B10/D5 Touring owners regarding reliability issues?
Thanks, Dave Walsh

MCR01

Post by MCR01 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Just for the record I ended up buying a 2010 3.0 Subaru Outback. As a tow car it's superior to the 3.0 Subaru Legacy having LSD's at both ends and auto levelling rear suspension; ride quality is better, handling a little worse but still entertaining enough (just). Yet to try it in the snow.
Nice not to be paying the £500 UK road tax.

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am

I just got a H6 outback too for general hauling, tip trips etc. 1 week shy of the £500 tax bracket too👍🏻
Nice quiet smooth engine which will hopefully plod on for many more years.
Range Rover SDV8.
E64 B6s #100 Cabriolet (Now Sold)
Maserati Gransport

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:36 pm

How about this LHD Alpina D10 Touring?
This model never came to the UK but if your still in SW France as per your signature it could meet all your needs?
Clicky
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

MCR01

Post by MCR01 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:32 pm

Interesting but running out of space! I'd prefer petrol, every other BMW is silver and black leather is a pain in the summer months. Does it have a full sized spare?
Although we don't have road tax in France the French have discovered all this eco crap can generate loads of money; registering a B10 would be 1000+€ straight to the government.
Think I'll pass. Must actually drive one someday.

MCR01

Post by MCR01 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Well, still not found that elusive reliable fast estate car with a full sized spare wheel, chain cam engine, 2000kg tow capacity, dip stick etc.
But as the French government has now reduced the speed limit on all roads to 80kph, that's 50mph - (it's slightly higher on dual carriageways) the need for any fast car is a bit questionable.
Naturally this is all to do with reducing road deaths, nothing to do with revenue streams, oh no, perish the thought!
In places, in town, the limit is 20kph (13mph), even push bikes overtake you!
Still an amazing country for 'lunch' though.

DeeJayHaitch

Post by DeeJayHaitch » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:06 pm

MCR01 wrote:Well, still not found that elusive reliable fast estate car with a full sized spare wheel, chain cam engine, 2000kg tow capacity, dip stick etc.
But as the French government has now reduced the speed limit on all roads to 80kph, that's 50mph - (it's slightly higher on dual carriageways) the need for any fast car is a bit questionable.
Naturally this is all to do with reducing road deaths, nothing to do with revenue streams, oh no, perish the thought!
In places, in town, the limit is 20kph (13mph), even push bikes overtake you!
Still an amazing country for 'lunch' though.
I'm not sure what you're looking for exists, certainly not newer models, as I'm sure you've already found out.

I think the Ford Mondeo is the only modern estate with a full size spare wheel, but they're hardly "fast"! I think you're going to have to stick with what you've got or get an estate with a large boot - I think the Merc E class is the biggest in class - and put the spare in there, with a roof box, if possible/needed or go the SUV route.

rodbargee
AL
AL

Re: Find me a (newish) fast tow car

Post by rodbargee » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:02 am

Audi A8.....S6 Avant not newish Im afraid but capable and cheap ish

MCR01

Re: Find me a (newish) fast tow car

Post by MCR01 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Hmmm...Audi.
Was once tempted by RS6/RS4; The RS4 had no spare wheel and the RS6 looked a very tempting money pit.
One can't doubt they are both (very) fast but in a country with a 50mph blanket speed limit they don't really make sense. French autoroutes are 130kph (82mph) and I can vouch for the efficiency of the French police, it's easy to get a speeding ticket doing 135kph: that's right a fast walking pace over the limit - ask me how I know.
A few years ago on the autoroute one just sat and waited for the inevitable BMW to pass one at 100mph and followed along trusting he/she knew where the traps were. Nowadays it VERY rare to see anyone doing this and when you do its not normally a French registered car.
I'm still looking though...