B10 3.3 #223

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Adrian E
A
A

B10 3.3 #223

Post by Adrian E » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi folks

First post here - been on the look out for an E39 530 Sport for a while now, but not having much luck finding what I want. This got me browsing random sections of Pistonheads to see what else I could find, hence the interest in the B10 3.3

I can't justify the V8 models, which I know are generally fully spec'd and seen as more desirable from what I can work out.

There were up until today a pair of decent looking B10 3.3s that might fit the bill - the cheaper was advertised, then re-listed and has now sold again (looks like #212 in the register - advertised last year at £14k?):

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1788449.htm

This leaves the more expensive option, with lower miles but an older car #223:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1828032.htm

The price looks a bit wacko, especially considering the one above that has presumably sold for something under £8k.

Neither car has a full kit count, and although I can't find #223 on here I'm pretty sure I did find it somewhere else with some interior pics showing no nav etc.

I have access to Glass's valuations, and no Alpina listings for the E39, but it seems E39 values in general are all over the shop - I would own a low miles 530 Aegean Edition on an '03 plate right now, but got gazumped by £200 on my offer of £7500 for a car with 42k miles and excellent history.

Missed a 530d sport that went up and down off Auto Trader in less than a day yesterday - 03 plate with 52k ADVERTISED at £6500!! Not surprised that went quick. Was extremely high spec too....

There's an amusing ad for a Champagne Edition gone up today for almost £10k with 66k on it!!

I've seen a few threads discussing values, but most seem to relate to the V8 models. I know the old saying 'it's worth what someone will pay' but are people asking sensible money for their cars or not in the current market?

Are Alpina values effected much by spec? Would the absence of things like nav/tv make a big difference to a valuation or is the system so old hat now that people are less fussed about whether it's there or not, or to pay a premium for it?

As far as the 3.3 B10 goes, I presume it's based on the SE? How do they ride on standard Alpina rims compared to a stock 530 Sport - I'm guessing about the same?

The performance figures suggest the 3.3 is night and day quicker than the stock 3 litre - is that fair to say? I seem to recall 0-60 figures quoted are about 3 seconds quicker for the auto versions of both?

So the million dollar question - would you pay any more for #223 than #212 looks to have sold for?

Many thanks - look forward to some interesting views!

Adrian

Adrian E
A
A

Post by Adrian E » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:25 pm

No 3.3 owners/past owners here? Can't believe this has had over 70 page views and not one reply :?

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:02 am

Might be something to do with the fact that the post does meander a little bit and the short sentences interspersed with paragraphs makes it quite difficult to read and digest.

Then again, it might be due to the fact that folks are busy and haven't got round to responding quite yet.

I'm sure someone will be along in due course :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

Touring

Post by Touring » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:54 pm

I don't claim to be an expert on Alpina values - although I've watched the market reasonably closely during my 4 years of B10 Alpina ownership, so I'd like to think I have some informed views.

Firstly, B10 3.3s are now getting quite old (7-10 years), so condition varies immensely - as a consequence comparability can not be achieved by simply looking at a handful of internet adverts.

Prices do seem to vary considerably - which I think is due to a combination of factors including, condition, mileage, history and specification. For me personally, specification is less important as my preference would always be to buy the best example I could find based on condition, mileage and documented service history.

I believe the current price range for B10 3.3 cars is probably £5k-£10k

For £10k I would expect a mint low mileage example, original panels and original paint, full history including all supporting invoices, plus nice touches such as original tools, first aid kit etc - whilst these items are not high value - they do give some indication that the car has been properly cared for.

At the £5k level - expect a car that has probably 'lived', may have paint and panel repairs (some better than others), service history may not be supported by invoices - and there may be signs of imminent expenditure looming e.g. tired suspension, tyres etc etc

IMO £7k-£8k should be sufficient to get a good honest example with little or no immediate further financial outlay needed. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who try to charge £8k for a £5k car - so buyer beware!!!

I can't comment on the comparability of a 530 vs a B10 as I've never driven a 530. However, I can say that the B10 is a cracking driver's car that is brisk and comfortable - and also exclusive.

Be patient and find a good one.
Good luck.
Alpina B10 3.3 Touring # 010 (sold)
Alpina D3 Saloon # 0614

ALPB1033
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ALPB1033 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:05 pm

I haven't driven a 530i before but for the last 6 1/2 yrs ownership for one of the 38 manual saloons(total 40 cars & 2 written off) in UK, I would say that is the best straight 6 you can have. At one point I tried to change for a V8 but I think I better kept the money in my pocket instead( about £10k in price for exchange a few more miles top speed and less than 1/2 sec. quicker for 0-60mph otherwise everything is about the same between the straight 6 and the V8, besides there are more switchtronic than manual cars in B10. This time head wins the heart). Also I had a budget of £20k to look for a 530i sport in 2004 and the Alpina came a long with a price tag of £5k more. It took me a month to take the punch in Synter Nott and after the test drive and 36 months of halfing my pocket money I became the proud owner of my baby :D :D :D .
For the value wise I can't say much but I know you need to have £2-3k to tidy up the car or upgrade it to what you want. 3 months ago I spent about £1k to sort out the tired paint work(8 1/2 yrs old car with near 119k milage, stone chips, rust and dent etc.) and wheels. But still I need to done more as the wheel isn't good enough to my standard.
For the specifications each car varies a lot. Mine just don't have the Sat nav/TV, otherwise it has nearly all the options available. For the sat.nav. mk IV upgrade is in the region of £1-1.5k second handed on ebay. But you can have the alternative for £50-£100 on ebay to get an pda sat nav instead.(At the moment I am using a Mio with TomTom maps load on a sd card and so far so good) Beside the tv mode will be out of date soon as it switches to digital.
For the mechanical wise and what to look for there are a lots have been discuss in the pass about the car. So what you need to just dig them out and have a look. Once when you have acquired one you won't be disappointed. Good luck and happy hunting!

Adrian E
A
A

Post by Adrian E » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Thanks Touring - sensible points and very much like my own views ref detailed history being important :D I guess with such a small number available at any one time, putting a value on a B10 3.3 isn't ever going to be straightforward...

I am being drawn to the fact the B10 is just 'a bit different' on the rarity front, although it's now getting rare to spot any flavour E39 on a daily basis in these parts.

The low miles and owner count do suggest the one on Pistonheads is probably at the better end of the scale, but as ever proof is in the viewing and dependant on a decent history and lack of obvious paint repair. Obviously also needs someone prepared to stump up that much cash, when you're well into M5 money at that price - albeit higher mileage and probably a different market.

ALPB1033 - hear what you're saying on the nav front - I have a TomTom Go 940 bought last summer for a road trip to Italy, so I definitely don't need factory nav, but it does make the dash look a little better. On balance I wouldn't discount an otherwise mint car just because it doesn't have nav, and agree when analogue gets switched off the silly prices for a dual band TV tuner will get even higher!

I'd quite like a manual (been driving autos too long) but rarity alone will probably rule it out. My wife prefers autos now too.

I've read some interesting suggestions that oil consumption is generally higher on the B10 than the stock 530, but also variable in how much an individual car uses - one of the toughest things to identify when viewing a car too if the owner doesn't wish to be honest on the point.

Cheers guys :D

Adrian

Adrian E
A
A

Post by Adrian E » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm

Checked out insurance today on bog standard 530 Sport (petrol and diesel), B10 3.3 and M5

I have a multi-car policy with Admiral, so the premiums are to match the timing of this car with my other - not due till May, so 8 months almost.

No difference in premium between petrol or diesel 530 Sport (£235)

Amazingly (to me anyway!) the B10 is only £285 which given the number of bespoke parts needed if you had a prang is quite surprising, in a good way.

Just for giggles got a quote on an M5, which came in at £450, so that puts that little fantasy to bed for a few years!

B10 is looking a very favourable option, at the right price.

Quick question - can you get build spec from a BMW dealer for an Alpina in the same way you can for any standard BMW model? Even if it's only the BMW side of things that they can tell you it would help - need to check this B10 has Isofix, which hardly anyone seems to know about unless they have children under 5.

Adrian

CaPtBlaCk
ALP
ALP

Post by CaPtBlaCk » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Adrian E wrote: Quick question - can you get build spec from a BMW dealer for an Alpina in the same way you can for any standard BMW model? Even if it's only the BMW side of things that they can tell you it would help - need to check this B10 has Isofix, which hardly anyone seems to know about unless they have children under 5.

Adrian
The option number is 470 for ISOFIX attachment and is available on the original specification list from either BMW or Alpina.

Hence, a quick call to your local friendly dealer or BMW customer service should get you the specification list and confirmation you require.
-------------------
B10 V8S ~ #094
-------------------

Adrian E
A
A

Post by Adrian E » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Cool - thanks. Wasn't sure if local BMW dealer would hold exactly the same level of record as for a non-Alpina car.

I believe later cars pretty much had Isofix as standard, but it was still listed as an 'option' code rather than standard spec.

bakerk

Post by bakerk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Adrian,
My car is currently for sale on Pistonheads.Build no 197.
mature owner selling up so grab a bargain!

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:44 am

bakerk wrote:Hi Adrian,
Guess it's this one http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2036875.htm Looks nice..... good luck with the sale
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

Adrian E
A
A

Post by Adrian E » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:28 am

bakerk wrote:Hi Adrian,
Hiya

Could you PM me a list of fitted options/codes please?

If there's no Isofix fitted (either physically on the rear seat or option code 470) then don't worry about the rest of the spec as that's a must have.

Regards

Adrian

bakerk

Post by bakerk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 am

Hi Adrian,
Code 470 not listed for my car,I presume this is for a child seat ? showing my ignorance what phyically does it look like ?Mine is one of the later cars as well.Lots more listed though ! Any more info you need please let me know.

Adrian E
A
A

Post by Adrian E » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Hiya

Yes it's for child seat attachment - it's basically a pair of 4mm diameter bars welded to the body. If you stick your fingers between the seat base and backrest you should find a pair of them on each of the outer rear seats, if fitted.

They're quite tight access on an E39, especially if they haven't been used at all.

They looks like this (the bit visible through the black plastic) :

bakerk

Post by bakerk » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Had a quick look but I think not.Not sure how many Alpinas will have this.Someone on here may know.Regards Keith