e36 M3 or b3 3.2?

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

968cs

e36 M3 or b3 3.2?

Post by 968cs » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi,
this is my first post. I have always been a great fan of Alpinas, though never owned one.

I have just sold my mint e34 M5 Touring and therefore I am looking for a replacement. Oddly enough, I used the M5 as a daily driver which wasn't really practical, to say the least :) .

Now, I got the special car bug, again... I can't help it...

So, I am torn between an e36 m3 3.2 and the B3 3.2.
I have a Porsche 968 CS M030 and a bike for sporting purposes, so I would rather use the B3 as a normal car.

How reliable are these and what can I expect from a B3 compared to an M3? I am not into drag racing or straight line performance, much more interested in driving feel and fun (twisties, etc.).

How about running costs? My mechanic is telling me that the bespoke Alpina parts cost a fortune compared to BMW original parts. Is that true?

What would you recommend?
I know that you have to spend on these cars, but I have to keep some practicality in mind.

any advice appreciated.

thanks
adam

MarkWG
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MarkWG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Adam

My 10 cents for the M3:
great car: mine's approaching 100k, most of which I've done, servicing averages around £500 a pop, & the way I drive is about every 7.5 - 8.5k. It's had a few suspension bushes, once, & the suspension is quite hard - it occassionally creaks but otherwise it's solid - I guess similar to your e34. I've had a few of sets of tyres (on Goodyears now, Michs were hard as nails, but lasted for ever, Dunlops were pretty good), just had all the discs & pads done, about £250 a quarter with BM parts & Indie fitting - but that's the first ever set. Mine's had the VANOS done under warranty twice, tbh wasn't a big issue anyway, but wanted some reassurance whilst I had it.
To drive, the clutch & throttle can be quite stiff to operate, the clutch is definately not as "easy" as a 968CS, the bite is quite low, & so takes some acclimatising. My missus hates it: there's a braided hose that improves it slightly, but if you don't like it, you're unlikely to get used to it.

It's a great all rounder, pounds the motorways or nips to the shops - mine's a saloon, & we moved house across three countries in it, with a roofbox & some clever packing. If you're tired & on a long trip, it's not maximum relaxing - but it's not a Caterham either! When you're in the mood it's quite happy to party, it'll wag it's tail if conditions are right. My lads learning in it, & it's very forgiving & he's getting on fine, he prefers it to our Alfa V6.

I haven't owned or driven a B3 3.2, but, I expect it'll be a more of the same, just easier on the left leg & slightly more comfortable on longer stretches. The Alpina costs issue can be overhyped, it's more availability than cost, which depends on your other transport arrangements. Certainly the wrong M parts can be just as wallet-wacking, but, similar to Porsche, those bits don't tend to go wrong if they're looked after properly. That'll be the issue - you'll have more M3s to choose from, but more dogs to filter out - fewer B3s, & may well be better looked after, but a longer & wider search.

Happy hunting, Mark

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:53 pm

b3.2 owner for over 3 years daily driver, no issues at all, mpg in teens round town but on a run can get 39
sounds lovely and the auto side is just so easy, the best bit is though you can manual change via f1 switchtronic on the twisty bits = cant do that in a a M3

less likley to be stolen and isnurance may be slightly less, if you go for coupe they are the rarest think there were circa 30 rhd drive models

968cs

Post by 968cs » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Well, I live in Budapest, Hungary, so it'd better be a left-hander :).

What I have noticed, though, that cars have become a lot cheaper in the UK, there used to be quite a premium in the UK prices compared to Germany, but nowadays, it has turned around. Of course, the pound's weakness is also a factor.

Anyway, a B3 3.3 isn't far off in terms off price, but I don't know if it is worth the extra cash.

a B3 would so much more special than an M3, and being 33 it might suit my image a bit better than the M3 :lol: . No it is just a joke, I'll never grow up when it comes to cars.

968cs

Post by 968cs » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:35 pm

I have been searching for a car, lately.

How about a B10 3.3, doesn't seem to be too costly, either. Or is it?

Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Chas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:48 pm

There should be very little difference in running costs for a B10 3.3 versus a B3 3.3. However, the B10 should have more refinement and a few more toys. The same goes for any 5 series versus the equivalent 3 series.

nealpina
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by nealpina » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Just to clarify do you mean an E36 B3 3.2 or an E46 B3 3.3?

If you mean a B3 3.2 and a B10 3.3 (as you can see in my signature that I have both). Then it all depends on what you want from the car. If you would like an overall sports car than go for the B3 3.2. If you want the room and practically than go for the B10. If you are unable to find a B10 with split folding rear seats then when the B3 rear seats fold down the length is roughly the same to that of the boot of a B10 but obviously the width will not be the same.

The B3 and the M3 are great cars but I personally would go for the refinement and the elegance nature of a B3.
Oscar Wilde & Burkard Bovensiepen: I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

ALPINA B3 3.2 Coupe Switch-Tronic ALPINA Blue
ALPINA B10 3.3 Saloon Manual Mora Metallic

968cs

Post by 968cs » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Originally, I wanted a B3, just by searching for cars I noticed that there are a lot more B10s for sale than B3s. Probably, they are more common.

Anyways, I wanted to buy a sort of family car, but we have lost the baby. Well, that's life.

So, right now, my only preference is to buy something reliable and as much fun as possible for everyday use.

alpina46
Tourettes Champion
Tourettes Champion

Post by alpina46 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Sorry to hear that :cry:

Get yourself an E36 M3 3.0 (sorry guys) its bullet proof unlike the later 3.2 evo & great fun i still miss mine, but if its fun & excitement your after it will deliver, where as the B3 is for the man thats not wanting to be a hooligan :wink: :lol:
M2
520d F11 M Sport Touring
B10 V8 #240
Mini Cooper S convertible
220d M Sport convertible
MGB GT
MG Midget
520d F11 M Sport Touring (sold)
118d F20 M Sport(sold)
118d E87 M Sport(sold)
John Cooper Works (sold)
D3 Touring #183(sold)