Alpina B3.3 S #231

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

debasur

Alpina B3.3 S #231

Post by debasur » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:33 pm

This is for sale in four marks S20004u car sales.
I am no expert on Alpinas , but to me the car looked in very good condition for its age and was wondering if any body knew of this car.It seems never to have been registered on the forums so not sure if anybody does know.thanks.

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:28 pm

http://www.s2000-4u.co.uk/vehicle-detai ... &ID=660221

That'll be a B3 3.3 and NOT a B3S and no mention of mileage :?
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:41 pm

i have been keeping eye on this one, one thing i would say its been for sale at least 6 months maybe more so been stood, good spec but not as mint as it appears according to my source who checked it out last year....unless its been tided up since

what did you think to it as you ve been to see it?

debasur

Post by debasur » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:31 pm

well, as i said, i am nowhere near enough clued up on Alpinas , but as a general car it seemed in good nick for the year.Was given the keys to have a look around and on starting it seemed to near cut out a few times until i revved it.Also seemed to be a weird noise coming from the dash area when you turned the key- a grumbling kind of electric noise so aint got a clue what that is..oh and mileage was 73k if memory serves.
So that is the 3.3 ?
Why is it advertised as a B3 S....and what is the HOW bit? Has the dealer got it wrong ?
cheers
ps i`m still debating wether to move from what i have now, but think this one is`nt for me.

MarkWG
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MarkWG » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Not an e46 person, so generic answers, but:

Cutting out: might have been sitting a while, so the battery might be struggling. How was it once warm?

Weird noise: leaves in the vent system, or fan that's not been used for a while warming up, maybe. Could also be the aircon flap motors, a good work through should free them up.

Even BM dealers struggle when describing Alpina cars, they just don't have the detailed knowledge (& generally don't need it, sadly!), that could be why it's written that way. HOW? Not a clue! Not seen that before.

Richy_Boy
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Richy_Boy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:02 am

Charles wrote:http://www.s2000-4u.co.uk/vehicle-detai ... &ID=660221

That'll be a B3 3.3 and NOT a B3S and no mention of mileage :?
Indeed... That's no B3S! Nice colour though! ;) I suspect the grumbling noise would be the self leveling lights wurring around.

For future reference, the engine looks like this on a B3S... (without the LPG injectors, obviously!)

Rich
Richy_Boy
--
Current Car: BMW e46 M3 CS SMG

Previous:
BMW 335d M Sport Coupe Highline
BMW 123d M Sport Coupe, no DPF, 275bhp and 520nm of torques.

Historical Alpina B3S Coupe #19 Owner

b3paul

Post by b3paul » Sun May 03, 2009 2:08 pm

i bought this yesterday,its had a new battery now and is fine so far firing up,one question i do have is why on the drivers side turret does it have a number stamped on above the vin number which has been crossed out???its on the picture above to.

the paint is very good,interior is sound only porblem is they didnt have the keys for the centre caps,so im off to see the locksmith at work next week.lol

hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by hap » Sun May 03, 2009 3:19 pm

the bmw number is crossed out for an alpina vin number, all your mot docs should have this numkber, the last three digits should correspond with the dash plaque production number.

i think i know why your cap fell off cos when my mate went to look at it he did say it was held on with mastick

b3paul

Post by b3paul » Sun May 03, 2009 4:21 pm

lol,i throught so,oh well,they needed replacing anyway as they where grubby.

MarkWG
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MarkWG » Sun May 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Before you get a lcoksmith onto the wheel caps, check in the toolkit in the boot lid, the glovebox & the boot well where the spare wheel sits. There are often four, so owners hide them around the car in case one goes missing - if they're the originals all locks should be the same.

I had a qucik look at your car the other week, looked very tidy, hope you enjoy it!

b3paul

Post by b3paul » Sun May 03, 2009 9:39 pm

ive looked everywhere chap,no where to be seen,we have a locksmith at work so if i slip him a tenner im sure he will sort me out.lol

all i need to know now is where or what size are the centre badges for the cap?,as i would like new ones,the old ones are tatty.

Richy_Boy
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Richy_Boy » Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 pm

I send the seller an ebay message yesterday explaining how this wasn't a B3S to see if it was an honest mistake... they didn't bother responding, but then, I guess you bought the car by then!

Enjoy! The best colour, by a long way! ;)

Rich
Richy_Boy
--
Current Car: BMW e46 M3 CS SMG

Previous:
BMW 335d M Sport Coupe Highline
BMW 123d M Sport Coupe, no DPF, 275bhp and 520nm of torques.

Historical Alpina B3S Coupe #19 Owner