Advice on buying B10 V8

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

jezza
A
A

Advice on buying B10 V8

Post by jezza » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:01 am

I am looking at a 2000 B10 V8, will be my first Alpina. Currently have an E39 540i, I'm expecting a much better driving experience. I have read the thread on buying the B10 3.3 which was useful. Is there anything else to look out for in the V8? How about anything in the service history?

Also does anyone know what a set of front tyres cost?

Thanks.

Charles

Post by Charles » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:30 am

Hi Jezza,

I don't have personal experience with the B10 but the big difference between the 3.3 and V8 is the steering on the 3.3 is much more direct and better feedback.

That is not to say that the V8 is poor bur relatively there is an obvious difference.

As for tyres, the advice I had from Alpina was to go with Michelins (Pilot Sports) because Alpina and Michelin do high speed testing together and the Michelin tyres for a B10 V8 were first designed for the Alpina and then rolled out ('scuse the pun) for any one else. Basically, Michelin designed the tyre for the B10 axle and then made it generally available.

They may be more expensive on first glance but don't just buy on price. I tried that and changed a set of Pirellis after 500 miles because the ride was dreadful. Expensive lesson but worth getting back on the Michelins.

Hope this helps

C
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

jezza
A
A

Post by jezza » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:35 am

Thanks for the info. I don't underestimate the importance of the correct tyres for a car, I tried three different ones before settling on my F1s for my car. Exactly which Michelins should the Alpinas use?

I have heard that the Alpina steering on the V8 is very different from the (poorer) recirculating ball setup BMW use as standard, I wonder if the modifications make it closer to the 6 cylinder cars?

Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:02 pm

Michelin Pilot Sport (if you can still get them) or Pilot Sport 2 (which, from my experience, provide even more grip than the already grippy original PS's)

As for the steering, I'm afraid I don't know enough about this to comment. All I do know is that comparing the 3.3 and V8 B10's, the steering on the 3.3 is rated as sharper - probably due to the extra weight of the V8 lump hanging over the steering rack. This is based on what I have heard and read - rather than personal experience.
Charles

Kenders

Post by Kenders » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:47 pm

Jezza
I find the V8 fantastic, I have had a lot of good cars in the past and this is the first car that I have no intention of selling. The driving experience is excellent and the extra torque is never a problem!! I am not a F1 driver, but I have absolutely no problem with the steering.
Tyres are important, I cannot believe the difference putting Mich PS2's on the car made. Front tyres are 235/40 ZR18, a snip at £335.15 for 2 from Micheldever tyres.
Have a look at the boot spoiler (if there is one) the bolts have a habit of rusting and that then spreads to the boot lid.
Go for it, you wont regret it.
Cheers
Rob

jezza
A
A

Post by jezza » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:03 am

Kenders, thanks for the info. I wonder how you find the traction off the line with your V8, given that it doesn't have a limited slip diff? On my standard 540i the DSC cuts in all the time in the wet making it difficult to pull out of a junction quickly and safely. I would expect the bigger tyres and suspension and DSC upgrades on the Alpina to help quite a bit. Do you find the DSC introusive at all in damp/wet conditions like this?

RIGA

3.3vs4.6

Post by RIGA » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:02 pm

so for alpina b10 V8 donor car is BMW540, and for B10 3.3 donor car is BMW528, is that means, that alpina 3.3 has same steering as BMW528? (I've heard, that 528 has very weak steering compare to 540)
thanx!

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:13 pm

Alpina develop their own steering components, suspension and geometry.

Whilst the donor car may be a 528/540, your conclusions about steering are incorrect.

Hope that this helps

C
Charles

Kenders

Post by Kenders » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:23 pm

Jezza
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I have to say I have never had a problem getting out of junctions, even in the wet. The only car that I have had that was better was a 4 wheel drive twin turbo VR4!!
The DSC seems to be less active than in my other 4 previous BMWs. I am not sure if that is because of the DSC being programmed differently or because of the tyres and Alpinas mods on the suspension.
Go for it, I think you will enjoy it.
Rob

minted_aye

Re: Advice on buying B10 V8

Post by minted_aye » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:03 am

jezza wrote:I am looking at a 2000 B10 V8, will be my first Alpina. Currently have an E39 540i, I'm expecting a much better driving experience. I have read the thread on buying the B10 3.3 which was useful. Is there anything else to look out for in the V8? How about anything in the service history?

Also does anyone know what a set of front tyres cost?

Thanks.
Stick with the recommended tyres, the cheapest I found them was mytyres.co.uk then got my local kwik fit to price match
As for the steering on the B10 V8 have found it to be excellent and nothing like a 540i