Confused by Cleaning

Discuss all aspects of Car Care / Detailling etc.
Rav
ALPI
ALPI

Confused by Cleaning

Post by Rav » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Ok, im getting old and I need your help regards cleaning my car.

I notice that car cleaning has become big business and everyone is trying to sell thier miracle product. I dont have time to sit and machine polish my car, but want it clean and well protected.

I use a two bucket method, with a wool mit and buy Simoniz car wash and carnuba wax from Costco.

I rinse the car off using a standard hose and then dry with mircofibre. If i have time i apply a thin layer of Meguairs Gold class wax.

What am i doing wrong? How could improve this and waste less time and get better results without forking out mega bucks of swisswax? I notice that people are clay baring, DA polishing, de iorning.......

Any help appreciated.
1999 #032 Alpina B3 3.3 saloon (UK Press Car) - Buchloe Beast
2000 Porsche Boxster S - viola
2015 Audi A4 Avant Ultra - Wifes car

Charles

Re: Confused by Cleaning

Post by Charles » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Like most things in life, you need to have decent foundations. In the case of cars, that making sure the base paint layer is prepared and protected.

After that, it takes little effort to keep it looking good - and your routine is fine - but applying polish on a poor base surface won't solve the problem.

Clay bars, paint correction and the rest are what gives you that decent base - then it's a case of who's marketing spiel you like most when buying shampoo, wax, polish and any other sweet smelling concoction to throw on your pride and joy :D
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

PhillV8S
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PhillV8S » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 pm

As Charles’s states the prep is the important bit. Personally I was amazed the difference to the surface of the paint felt like after using a clay bar. You clean the car first then use a clay bar with a little quick detailer to help lubricate and the difference is night and day to before and after!
I got myself a cheap DA polisher and watched lots of YouTube videos on what to do. It’s actually a lot easier than you think, start slowly too build your confidence. Now it’s easier for me to run a finishing polish over the car a couple of times a year to keep the swirls away. The shine comes from the polishing beforehand not there was you put on top.
Once the car is clean and protected it’s actually really easy to keep clean, just give it a quick wipe over with a quick detailer and it’s like new again.
I can’t be doing too bad as I have won best Alpina for the last 2 years at the BMW national festival!
Give it a go, watch lots of videos and you will be surprised how easy and good the results are. The professional detailers make out like its some voodoo dark art but it’s not really.
Maybe just buy a clay bar and quick detailer first to see and feel the difference in the paint easily.
E39 B10 V8S #037 Saloon SOLD
Range Rover TDV8
Subaru Outback 3.0
E64 B6s Cabriolet #100

AG
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by AG » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:11 pm

As has been said, spend a day or weekend getting the base right, then once done (or had done) your cleaning regime will be much reduced and the car would look great for some time to come. You don't have to spend big money (depends on what you call big thigh) but some meguires will help.
What am i doing wrong? How could improve this and waste less time
Basically the base you are working with isn't as good as you tough it was, put the effort in to start with and the benefits will be seen later on down the line.
Former BMW CC 7 register chairman

1985 e23 B10 (sold)
1995 B3 saloon switchtronic (sold)

http://www.facebook.com/BmwE23AlpinaB8B9B10
http://www.facebook.com/AlpinaB3E36AndE46

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Maybe not for the purist but try the Farecia G3 clay mitt instead of a bar, available from Halfords amongst others as it really makes claying easy
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold

jolls
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by jolls » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:29 am

BarryM wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 pm
Maybe not for the purist but try the Farecia G3 clay mitt instead of a bar, available from Halfords amongst others as it really makes claying easy
100% agree. So much easier than a clay bar. Some car shampoo in a bucket and away you go.
B3 E46 no.265

newalpinafan

Post by newalpinafan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Great tips & advice all - much appreciated!
Alpina B5 E61 (likely to be sold or stored)
Alpina B6 e64 (sold)
Alpina B5 E60 (sold)
Alpina B3S E91 Biturbo (sold)
Alpina B10 V8S E39 (sold)
BMW E30 M3 LHD Convertible (sold)
BMW E30 325i (sold)
BMW M5 E34 Touring LHD (sold)
BMW M5 E34 Saloon (sold)
BMW M5 E34 Saloon LHD (sold)