theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B10 Touring newbie
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: B10 Touring newbie Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a newbie to Alpina ownership and the forum but have recently bought a car that appears to be fairly well known on here. It is the 2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring ex-Nottingham Sytner Car in Steel Grey with 17k worth of extra goodies and is on the register - car 012/1.

I have a couple of questions if anyone could help me out - it's running on the optional 19 inch staggered rims and whilst I have the original BMW E39 540 owners manual and the two supplement Alpina ones and the sticker on the drivers B-post I can only find the tyre pressures for a fully loaded cars; ie. the indicator with four little people plus another person or luggage - is there any suggestions for tyre pressures for a normally loaded car anywhere?

Also, having read a few of the forum threads about the attitudes and service within certain Sytner dealerships can anyone actually recommend a decent Sytner Dealer who I could deal with over the phone and post things out/up to me in Yorkshire.

Lastly, I am looking at a set of winter tyres on 18 inch rims and the Alpina manual states that whilst both a B10 V8 saloons and Tourings can run on normal/summer 235/40x18 tyres the Touring is not to be used on on Pirelli 235/40x18 91H M&S tyres - is this just an anomaly of the Pirelli tyre? Or it's insufficient loading? or any 235/40x18 M&S tyres

Many thanks in advance,

E24man
v8 ego
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with any of the questions now as I don't have the info but welcome to the forum.

Your car has now been owned by 4 forum members including me. Enjoy.

James

2012 BMW 520d ED (Gave it back)
2011 BMW 535d GT SE
2008 BMW 730d SE (SOLD)
2007 BMW X5 3.0d SE (SOLD)
2007 D3 Touring 166 (SOLD)
2005 BMW 750i Sport (SOLD)
2005 BMW 730d Sport (SOLD)
2001 B10 V8 Touring 012/1 (SOLD)
2001 B10 V8 saloon 044/1 (SOLD)
1999 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
1997 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 ego wrote:
I can't help with any of the questions now as I don't have the info but welcome to the forum.

Your car has now been owned by 4 forum members including me. Enjoy.

Thank you for the reply and the welcome - so when did you own the car? Very Happy
v8 ego
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory from the back end of 2007 to the middle of 2008 when I moved to a D3 Touring.

James

2011 BMW 535d GT SE
2008 BMW 730d SE (SOLD)
1999 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
1997 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the car. Where abouts are you in Yorkshire?

From my own experience with Sytner Sheffield, I've only ever had first class service.

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412
Simonal
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: B10 Touring newbie Reply with quote

Hi E24 Man

Welcome to Alpina ownership and to the forum as for answers to your questions.

Also on the tyre pressure plate on the B post should just be the recommended pressure regardless of load you can use those when lightly loaded so do not worry about this just use the published pressures and enjoy.

Sytners I cannot help you with but others have already pointed out a preference.

"As for M & S tyres my manual only states that 235/40R18 91H M+S are not allowed for the V8S Touring rear" - which is based around the weight loading for the Touring but there is no other mention of any brands.

Although Alpina do recommend Michelin tires but as long as the loading is correct and it matches the required specification then there should be no issue, although I would choose a tyre manufacturer that you are happy with...!

Hope this helps

Simon
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 ego wrote:
Your car has now been owned by 4 forum members including me...

... and driven from Nottingham to Aberdeen by a 5th forum member (who brokered the two sales prior to yours). Cool

Welcome to the forum!
Heuer
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I bought it as the ex-demonstrator from Sytner in 2002. Great car.
'63 E-Type Roadster
'69 Lotus Elan S/E DHC
v8 ego
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas wrote:
v8 ego wrote:
Your car has now been owned by 4 forum members including me...

... and driven from Nottingham to Aberdeen by a 5th forum member (who brokered the two sales prior to yours). Cool

Welcome to the forum!

For which I am and always be grateful Chas. It was great to meet both of you. I apologise for off-topic but what's Steve driving these days?

James

2011 BMW 535d GT SE
2008 BMW 730d SE (SOLD)
1999 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
1997 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
Kyle
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and congrats on the car! Good luck with the answers you seek!
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Heuer, V8 ego, and those others who have owned the car before will be pleased to know that it's in pretty fine shape all round - a testament to Jamie who I bought it from.

It's just trickled over 100k miles and I have it as an additional car on a future classic policy for 5k miles a year.

There were a few little niggles that Jamie had let mount up, though none of which detracted from the driving experience. So far I have;

Fixed the Rear wiper - the wire was broken in the loom AND the mechanism had seized absolutely solid.
Fixed the Glass rear window opening as the loom was again broken AND also the switch under the wiper arm had given up - this was an absolute swine to do.
Fixed the electro-hydraulic tailgate lift - this was tricky but I managed to recharge the system and all is now working well.
Updated the TV tuner to a digital Tuner so I now have Freeview Digital as well as analogue.
Replaced the interior rear light bulb that had blown.
Freed off and sorted the seized centre cap to one of the wheels - at one stage I thought I was going to have to drill the lock but I managed without that drastic measure.
Scrubbed the interior leather so it's all a lot whiter but I'm not completely happy so I'll probably be going down the path to an interior detail - my daughters muddy footprints have already been all over the leather.
Replaced the rear speakers - they were sounding in quite a bad way.
Replaced the cabin pollen filters - I happened to look in there and they weren't pretty.....
And I have just noticed that one of the tailgate LED rear lights has just failed....

As regards, the winter tyres - money is a little tight at the moment so I am going to get some M&S Vredesteins for the set of slightly scabby 8 x 18 M Para's I have lurking in the cellar - I have decided after musing over the problem that I will fit 235/40's to the rims but the 95/96 extra load versions rather than the 91 load version outlawed in the Alpinas owners manual. Eventually I'll pick up some non-staggered 8x18 Alpina wheels for winter running.

Simon, I still can't find any mention of the correct normal load pressure for the staggered 19's (the normal load pressures for all the other size winter and summer tyres is clearly listed) so I guess I'll just dial them down 3 or 4 psi all the way round.

I am up in Keighley , West Yorkshire and as such I think Sytner at Sheffield will be my closest port of call - thank you IAM Joe for the recommendation.

Cheers,

E24man.
v8 ego
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E24man wrote:
Fixed the Rear wiper - the wire was broken in the loom AND the mechanism had seized absolutely solid.
Fixed the Glass rear window opening as the loom was again broken AND also the switch under the wiper arm had given up - this was an absolute swine to do.

I had to do this when I bought it. The only way to fix without replacing the whole loom was to bridge the wires out so I guess the wires have broken elsewhere.

James

2011 BMW 535d GT SE
2008 BMW 730d SE (SOLD)
1999 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
1997 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
Chas
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E24man wrote:
It's in pretty fine shape all round - a testament to Jamie who I bought it from.

Erm, no offence to Jamie (who I don't know) but he only had the car for a few weeks!! Confused It's condition is primarily down to the previous owners on here. I can personally vouch for the lavish attention it's had from Steve and Gee in the past few years; some of it in my driveway/garage.

Glad you're happy with it and I'm very pleased to see you've fixed the tailgate niggles. Well done Cool
Simonal
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E24man wrote:

Simon, I still can't find any mention of the correct normal load pressure for the staggered 19's (the normal load pressures for all the other size winter and summer tyres is clearly listed) so I guess I'll just dial them down 3 or 4 psi all the way round.

Cheers,

E24man.

Hi

Glad you got the other problems fixed the tailgate in most cars that have some wiring running through it always goes wrong after a while. My old M5 Touring did the same thing as did previous hatchbacks.

As for the tyre pressures the standard pressures on my car they are 3.0 bar (43.5 psi) front and 3.3 bar (48 psi) rear which should be the standard for both loaded and not loaded according to the manual. These larger cars are quite sensitive to tyre pressure so it can make a difference to the handling.

Sounds like you are planning to get to keep this one for a while

Hope this clarifies things with the tyre pressures.

Cheers

Simon
Heuer
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tailgate was also a problem to me. Firstly the wiper arm seized which I thought I had cured by the addition of a O ring on the shaft to keep water out. Needs to be disassembled once a year and re-greased.

The power operated tailgate never worked properly because Alpina added a spoiler on the top and a decorative filler panel on the lower edge. This made the tailgate too heavy for the standard BMW mechanism although it worked when the car was parked at the right angle. Sytner and Alpina looked into it under warranty it but were embarrassed to admit there was no fix.

The car only let me down once. At about 50,000 miles the top hose blew in a fairly spectacular fashion. This is a known weakness with the V8's and the first indication of trouble will be the coolant warning light coming on. Check the top hose by squeezing it and you may find it is going soft especially on the underside. As the car has done a further 50k miles I suggest you replace it before it blows again. Easy job to do at home but impossible to repair on the roadside.
'63 E-Type Roadster
'69 Lotus Elan S/E DHC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: