theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with D3
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mike finch



Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Location: BANBURY

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Problem with D3 Reply with quote

Hi there
quite new to forum, have now got my alpina - D3 Touring no. 237 in sapphire black, usual spec.
I am loving the performance and smoothness of the ride, but having a problem with the engine it seems to misfire and has what feels like a hesitation when cold, problem goes away when it gets warmed up.
Any suggestions before i take it back to get it looked at ?

Hope you can help

Mike

will get my machine registetred once i have cleaned it properly. Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
L8 ALPINA
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 865
Location: TAMWORTH

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i cannot help you with your D3, congratulations on the purchase though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Broch
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 13 Aug 2007
Posts: 758
Location: Aberdeenshire

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, + welcome to the forum.
Sorry i can't help, but what mileage do you have?
My D3 is a E90 #404 with 26k on the clock and i'll be watching this thread closely.





Onzie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 1642
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome. D3 tourings are rare machines.

When the engine is cold, the ECU limits the power to protect the engine/turbo thus making it feel a bit sluggish. Do you think it could be this?

If you're not happy, take it back to get looked at. Maybe worth putting a couple of tanks of V-power and/or some fuel additive to 'clean' the fuel system out if it's picked up any sluge. When was it last serviced and what was done? I presume you bought it from a dealers?
_________________
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bowfer
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 820
Location: Aberdeen

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAM Joe wrote:

When the engine is cold, the ECU limits the power to protect the engine/turbo thus making it feel a bit sluggish.


Are you sure about this?
The rev counter's red line goes low when cold, then moves round to its normal point as the engine warms up.
But it's only a recommended red line, you are free to ignore this and rev the crap out of it if you want.
I see no evidence at all that the power is limited either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 09 Dec 2009
Posts: 1662
Location: Lausanne, Switzerland

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowfer wrote:
The rev counter's red line goes low when cold, then moves round to its normal point as the engine warms up.

wow...i never realised the red line was moving Embarassed
_________________
2002 B3 3.3x touring No 100
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajsmith
ALPI
ALPI


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 368
Location: Lancs

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red line never moves on my BiTurbo. BTW congrats on the purchase and welcome. Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 1642
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowfer wrote:
IAM Joe wrote:

When the engine is cold, the ECU limits the power to protect the engine/turbo thus making it feel a bit sluggish.


Are you sure about this?
The rev counter's red line goes low when cold, then moves round to its normal point as the engine warms up.
But it's only a recommended red line, you are free to ignore this and rev the crap out of it if you want.
I see no evidence at all that the power is limited either.

Ok, you can still rev like a nutter and red line if you want when the engine is cold but the ECU will overfuel to 'protect' the engine and this lean mix can make the car feel sluggish as it starves oxygen.
_________________
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bowfer
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 820
Location: Aberdeen

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAM Joe wrote:

Ok, you can still rev like a nutter and red line if you want when the engine is cold but the ECU will overfuel to 'protect' the engine and this lean mix can make the car feel sluggish as it starves oxygen.


If the ECU is overfuelling the engine, that doesn't make for a lean mixture.
That makes for a rich mixture.
And that gives more power.
This is what those cheap tuning boxes off ebay do.
Fool the ECU into thinking the engine is cold and telling it to over-fuel all the time, giving more power but less mpg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 1642
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowfer wrote:
IAM Joe wrote:

Ok, you can still rev like a nutter and red line if you want when the engine is cold but the ECU will overfuel to 'protect' the engine and this lean mix can make the car feel sluggish as it starves oxygen.


If the ECU is overfuelling the engine, that doesn't make for a lean mixture.
That makes for a rich mixture.
And that gives more power.
This is what those cheap tuning boxes off ebay do.
Fool the ECU into thinking the engine is cold and telling it to over-fuel all the time, giving more power but less mpg.

Only if you can get enough air to mix with it. Rolling Eyes

Maybe a problem with the O2 sensor?
_________________
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bowfer
ALPINA
ALPINA


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 820
Location: Aberdeen

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAM Joe wrote:

Only if you can get enough air to mix with it. Rolling Eyes


Yeah, but that can't be a problem.
Remap companies are able to up power without modifications to the air intake or turbo.
So there's evidently plenty of air available as standard, to cope with extra fuel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
louicd



Joined: 10 Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Location: Wakefield

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Did you ever get to the bottom of this. I know itís a long time ago. I own the car now and it seems to do it still now when cold haha!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Express Andy



Joined: 16 Sep 2018
Posts: 35
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi welcome Iím fairly new to, congrats on owning a Alpina touring nice.
Does the car misfire from cold when started ? Does it blow any smoke ie blue or black ? On start up or does it under power? Once run and warmed up if you start it again will it miss fire or is it clear?
Cheers Andy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
louicd



Joined: 10 Sep 2018
Posts: 11
Location: Wakefield

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks, its a fantastic car
It hasn't done it as much since I started using it. It wasn't so much of a misfire, but more a random split second change in the engine tone, before it went back to normal, it repeats this every minute or so while idling when cold. Could it just be normal for the 2.0 diesel? I am coming from a BMW 35d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Express Andy



Joined: 16 Sep 2018
Posts: 35
Location: North Yorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a 14 plate Ducato van and it does same kind of thing and I was told it was egr opening and closing ? The engine pitch just changes for second donít know if this helps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group