Anyone painted callipers?

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

Rav
ALPINA
ALPINA

Anyone painted callipers?

Post by Rav » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:30 pm

My B3 3.3 calipers are looking a little worse for ware.

Has anyone painted callipers using foliatec or similar?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FOLIATEC-Brake ... paint&th=1

Or is it better to replace callipers with M3 of the same vintage? M3 cutters have a few people selling these.

I am not experienced in removing calipers all together to paint, so would want to paint in situ....

Also is it worth finidng drilled discs for the Alpina B3?

Any advice appreciated.
1999 #032 Alpina B3 3.3 saloon (UK Press Car) - Buchloe Beast
2000 Porsche Boxster S - Viola
2015 Audi A4 Avant Ultra - Wife's car
2002 VW Lupo 1.4 16v - Daughter's car

scalesg
ALP
ALP

Post by scalesg » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:05 pm

Looking to do the same on mine as they could do with a clean up and paint

Taking the calipers off is straightforward enough but then you need to support them so the brake hoses don't stretch. Don't think you will have an easy or effective long term job done if you do them in situ but removing them completely is a different story

I was looking at getting mine replaced with ones that are reconditioned and painted and then get a mechanics to remove and fit the new ones, along with a brake fluid change also but you are looking around £300 for a complete set, plus I think you may need to send your original ones off. Hoping you can send your original ones back after they have sent you the new ones....

With regards to M3 calipers, they may be different size and then you will need new discs, but you are also making your car non standard, something to bear in mind

Drilled discs may look nicer in some peoples opinions but again they are not standard for the car. the purpose of them is to dissipate heat quicker under hard braking, so if this is what you do then it will be beneficial, but if you do this you may as well invest in braided hoses too (Goodrich do ones that are coloured also!!) as they come into their own under hard braking also. Depends how you drive the car really. If you don't drive hard then really no point.

Hope this helps

If you get any further along, update this thread!! I will too if I ever get round to doing this.... :-)
E46 B3S Saloon
E46 330Ci
Golf VR6 loved for 7 years and then went bang at 7K rpm, sadly missed
So many other cars, faves below
Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia
Triumph dolomite 1850 (With Sprint wheels of course!)
Fiat 131 Supermiafiori
Mercedes 250CE Pillar less coupe (my first car!!)

BarryM
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by BarryM » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:50 am

If you’re gonna do it properly I think you have to get them powder coated. As the B10 uses standard E39 brakes I’ve just bought a used rear set from eBay and will send them off to have new pistons and seals fitted at the same time as powder coating. I did my fronts about 18 months ago but sent off my original calipers and had the car out of action for a few weeks hence buying a used set for the rears. Fronts were done same colour as the bodywork and still look very good.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 #185
1982 Krauser MKM1000 #121 - sold