E46 B3 3.3 Gearbox Issue

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

sat82
A
A

E46 B3 3.3 Gearbox Issue

Post by sat82 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:49 pm

Hi all,

I've been looking on the various threads for a similar issue to mine, but could not find anything, so decided to create a new one (apologies if there is one already for it).

Just today I experienced a problem with my gearbox coming back from work. It won't engage 'Reverse' properly.

When you select reverse, you don't get that subtle 'jump' movement as you normally do, (which I do get when I put it into Drive).

Once in reverse and you take your foot of the brake, it hardly moves (sometimes it doesn't), in fact to get it to move at all you need to give it at least 4000-5000 rpm, only then does it attempt to move - even then it's so slow and weak.

As a long shot, I've been advised to disconnect the battery for over an hour and reconnect, in the hope to reset the gearbox = this failed.

Can someone please help, as this is the worst timing for me. I hope it is something as small as a solenoid, but I'm thinking the gearbox itself needs to be stripped - something like the reverse drum etc... As I've been reading on various threads on here, that the B3 3.3 gearbox (ZF 5HP19), tends to require a rebuild from about 100-120k miles. My car currently has 115k miles.

FYI - All forward gears are good.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards
Sat

B3 3.3 Saloon #540

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:42 am

Based on experience of gearbox issues with my B3S which has the same ZF unit, there are two potential causes that spring to mind - either the valve chest needs an overhaul or the reverse drum has split.

Before jumping to conclusions, is there any difference in functionality when the gearbox oil is cold or hot?

My recommendation is to speak to the chaps at Stephens Engineering who are based in Hertfordshire. They overhauled my gearbox recently and they are extremely knowledgeable.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

sat82
A
A

Post by sat82 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:30 am

Hi Charles,

Thanks for replying.

No - there is no difference in functionality when the gearbox oil is cold or hot, I've tested it in both ways.

I've actually been to Stephens Engineering in 2015, when I had a suspected limp home mode issue with my gearbox, but they diagnosed it to a faulty camshaft sensor, which was flagging fault codes to the gearbox - so they are very good, but a bit far away from me.

Have you had any experience or know anybody who has used 'Hardy Engineering Transmissions' in Leatherhead? As they are closer to me, but also I know they have overhauled a few B3 3.3 gearboxes in the past.

Many thanks.
Sat

B3 3.3 Saloon #540

rc944
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by rc944 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40 am

sorry for hijack but keen to get some thoughts

im getting the excessive slip fault code through the box...stephens said that the TC replacement might not work long term and suggested a full overhaul yet i know its what phil at cpc suggested i do

the difference is about 500 quid vs 1500 quid
Porsche 997.1 GT3 CS I Alpina E46 B3s Coupe I Alpina E46 B3 3.3 Touring I Ducati 749S Mono I Ducati 748R I Ducati 749 Track Bike I Ducati 916S

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:49 pm

rc944 - Having spent the £1500 at Stephens, I can confirm that it is money extremely well spent. Depending on your mileage, the box may need to be overhauled in the near future anyway and so spending "just" £500 on a TC might be a false economy. Jason and Bill are probably the most honest guys I've met in the trade, so a discussion about the merits of either route would be worthwhile in my book.

sat82 - They may be further away from you but they have courtesy cars and if you have already been impressed by them, then I don't understand why you don't go straight back to them.
Charles

sat82
A
A

Post by sat82 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Fair enough Charles.

Let me ask you another question. Would you mind telling me what sort of overhaul they performed on your gearbox (the parts they changed etc) and the sort of costs I'm likely to incur?

Regards
Sat

B3 3.3 Saloon #540

Elan
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Elan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm

I used Hardy engineering to get the gearbox rebuilt on my B3 and they did a good job. The full rebuild was around £3k few years ago. I am not sure how they compare to Stephens Engineering. If it was now, I would be considering the manual conversion.

Some pics of the work they carried out on my car.
http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/vie ... 01&start=0
Current Collection:
F30 B3 BiTurbo #133, C2 2.7 #515, B3 3.3 Touring #113
E46 M3 manual, E92 M3 manual
Porsche 997.1 Turbo Manual, 997 GTS, 996 C4S, 911SC Targa
Maserati GranTurismo MC Stradale
Lamborghini LP560-4 Manual

sat82
A
A

Post by sat82 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for the info Elan - your touring looks great!

How is the gearbox running three years down the line?
Sat

B3 3.3 Saloon #540

Elan
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Elan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:38 pm

sat82 wrote:Thanks for the info Elan - your touring looks great!

How is the gearbox running three years down the line?
Its all running fine with no issues. Mind you I have only done around 5k miles since the work.

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:21 pm

sat82 wrote:Let me ask you another question. Would you mind telling me what sort of overhaul they performed on your gearbox (the parts they changed etc) and the sort of costs I'm likely to incur?
I had a hairline crack in one of the drums which only caused problems once the oil had heated up and become less viscous - hence my original question about whether hot or cold oil had a different result.

At first I thought it was a valve chest issue but Bill called it straight away and, sure enough, he was spot on.

Because they had to replace the drum, all the internals had to come out so I had a full overhaul of everything, including the TC, for £2000. Two years and 40k miles later and everything continues to run beautifully :D
Charles

ali
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ali » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Spending the extra ££ on a complete overhaul makes sense to me if you are planning on long term ownership or want to maintain the provenance of your car.
Mine was fully rebuilt at 90k miles 8 years ago and 20k miles later is still spot on.
B3 3.3 Coupe #090
D3 2.0 Biturbo Touring #098

sat82
A
A

Post by sat82 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:49 am

Elan - thanks for the update

Charles - thanks for the info. I managed to speak to Jason yesterday at Stephens Engineering. He's knows what the problem is. He said these gearboxes are fantastic but they do have some weak spots. He quoted me the same as he did back in 2015 for a complete overhaul, of £1800 +VAT and will take about a week to do.

ali - agreed, as I've had the car now for almost 5 years and spent thousands on repairs and maintenance and want to keep it in tip top condition.
Last edited by sat82 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sat

B3 3.3 Saloon #540

sat82
A
A

Post by sat82 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 am

FYI -

Hardy Engineering also got back to me yesterday and said they can do an limited repair and will cost a minimum of £1200 +VAT. I've replied back to ask how much a complete overhaul will be.

Also, I just got off the phone to a local automatic re builder in Hayes and he is also familiar with the fault and quoted me £950 +VAT for a complete overhaul! He done a B3 3.3 rebuild last year for a chap who is on this forum. Sounds tempting to me.
Sat

B3 3.3 Saloon #540

Titch

Post by Titch » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Hey Sat,

That was me. I had a complete overhaul done and the car has been on the button from that point on. Not had one issue. I dealt with the owner Parish. Here's there link if you need. http://www.vanmatic.com/

I too was umming and ahhing about where to go but I've used all the above mentioned places and all have done smashing jobs. Your spoilt for choice. Really depends on your location and budget.

Hope you get it sorted. Just make sure you don't park to tight up to anything. You never know when that reverse might pack up all together!
JB

Alpina B3 Coupe, Topaz Blue with Silver Leather

sat82
A
A

Post by sat82 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Hey Titch,

Yes I thought it was you - cheers.

I spoke to Paresh this morning and he knew straight away what the problem was. I was just so surprised he can offer a full overhaul for that price. I had to confirm with him it was a complete rebuild and not just to repair the reverse drum and other affected parts etc. He said the price was for the whole lot.
Sat

B3 3.3 Saloon #540