theALPINAregister.com Forum Index theALPINAregister.com
The Forum section of www.theALPINAregister.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Site SearchSite Search   Forum SearchForum Search   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  GalleryGallery   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Types of Leather

Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaesarBob
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Types of Leather Reply with quote

Is there a hierarchy to varying types of leather used on Alpinas?

I've seen a number of types: Lavalina, Montana, Nappa, Dakota, Merino.

Some of these are standard BMW fare, or is there just different options depending on model year/base model used?
simon13
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats yours got? My old E36 alpina had an individual trim with montana leather and nappa piping. A montana trim was an uprgrade over standard leather back then and can wear the miles well if looked after.

Alpina use lavalina only on their trims, you won't ever see it on cooking bmws or any M power car. Its deemed too nice for automotive use ive read and is used mainly on high end furniture. Not many UK cars get the lavalina trim treatment! All alpinas from the e36 onwards get a lavalina steering wheel.

Nappa tends to be used on M power cars like e36 and e46 M3s, its soft and can waer badly if not looked after.

Merino was an E60 M5 thing i recall and an upgrade on the stock leather on those cars?

Dakota is normal pleather isn't it on e90's and the like

Buffalo is another that can feature as an upgrade on older bmws and alpinas withs the recaro seats ordered -e30,e34 e36 era.
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain what mine is to be honest.

The original order invoice Gary gave me a copy of just says "LEATHER UPHOLSTERY LIGHT GREY" and the Alpina Archive lists it as "Leather Montana Light Grey". No contrast piping though.

Based on the suppleness of the leather and the overall condition I guess it's not standard E36 leather. My previous '99 E36 328i Touring with black leather, on similar miles, was much stiffer and wearing much more on the bolsters, etc

Dakota is definitely the standard leather option on F3x models, had it in my 420d in Oyster and that was a ok if you cleaned it weekly and didn't wear jeans!! Merino was the Individual option when i ordered mine.

Had forgotten about Buffalo, I seem to remember that from E24/28 M5's too i think?
PhillV8S
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from the Alpina website to explain Lavalina...

LAVALINA is amongst the most natural and highest quality leather types available worldwide and offers all the advantages of untreated full-grain cowhide. It is cask-pigmented and is produced using the highest-quality hides sourced in South Germany. Silky smooth to the touch, this leather is unrivalled in terms of its surface texture, climatic comfort and appearance. Its natural qualities can be felt with every touch. It guarantees excellent temperature compensation and moisture regulation and is extremely breathable.
In a special additional tanning process, the individual fibres of the cowhide are impregnated with precious natural oils. This preserves the properties of the natural leather, such as its silky and extremely soft touch, while at the same time increasing the resistance to wear and tear. The natural traces and marks of life remain visible on the surface of the leather and lend LAVALINA leather its unique characteristics, which are valued by connoisseurs worldwide.
E39 B10 V8S #037 Saloon SOLD
Range Rover TDV8
Subaru Outback 3.0
E65 BMW 760i individual Sold
E64 B6s Cabriolet #100
ChrisLux
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has something called 'Aniline', which was a special order.
It's supposed to show all the natural grain, but it's a pain in the @ss as there is no topcoat sealant so it has to be 're-painted' quite often, otherwise it looks like the inside of a well worn 60's Jag Shocked Shocked
'97 E36 B8 4.6 Touring (19#27)
Individual Tannen Grun

'02 E39 ACS5 3.0d Touring
Individual Velvet Blue - Now sold

'05 E53 X5 3.0d
Sapphire Black

FREUDE AM FAHREN - SHEER DRIVING PLEASURE
CaesarBob
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that one Chris, doesn't exactly sound like it was worth a premium ... unless you're a fan of Inspector Morse Razz
v8 ego
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the factory visit in 2007 I seem to recall that Lavalina comes from a single herd of cows in Switzerland so supply can be a challenge.

I think either Dakota or Monatana was standard to the E38 7 series but I have had Buffalo on an E38 but it's taken pretty much straight from the cow and still has any blemishes/scars in it from insect bites etc.

I think on the E65 you had the choice of Nasca, Montana or Club (depending on the market) by default, Pearl on sports seats and Merino as an Individual interior.

F01/F02 was Dakota as standard and either Merino or Nappa as an option. G11/12 is the same by my reckoning.

James

2012 BMW 520d ED (Gave it back)
2011 BMW 535d GT SE
2008 BMW 730d SE (SOLD)
2007 BMW X5 3.0d SE (SOLD)
2007 D3 Touring 166 (SOLD)
2005 BMW 750i Sport (SOLD)
2005 BMW 730d Sport (SOLD)
2001 B10 V8 Touring 012/1 (SOLD)
2001 B10 V8 saloon 044/1 (SOLD)
1999 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
1997 BMW 750iL (SOLD)
Guy
AL
AL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW Leather is as follows on all cars (and Alpinas):

Dakota is the basic leather, it is leather but has an embossed grain and lots of covering protectants. It is the hardest by feel, but the hardest wearing. For most BMWs this is the standard leather.

Nappa is the next upgrade, which is softer, not embossed ie flat and has a lower level of coating, so wears more. It is/was standard in some higher-end models such as 7 series or certain M-Cars.

Merino is the next upgrade again and is usually provided by BMW Individual, which is an expensive option on many models. It is again a higher quality of leather with even less protections again, so it is very natural, but therefore wears even more in terms of potential colour loss etc.

Lavalina is Alpina own leather specification and is very expensive and akin to a more bespoke version of Merino, but as provided by Alpina with a different level of finish, coverage and colour options.

I've not heard of the others, but don't believe they have been used recently.
Metrics
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add, with Lavalina there's 2 specs provided by Alpina: Lavalina I and Lavalina II

I - main part of seat and middle armrest section of door in Lavalina hide.
II - pretty much every interior surface is leather - the whole seat, including back panel, seat base (where the switches are), the whole door card top to bottom, the whole of the lower dashboard, glovebox, centre console and dash top (although this is often cost on top of the L II cost!)

As an example on a F10 D5:

Dakota - std
Nappa - 710
Merino - 1855
Lavalina I - 4500
Lavalina II - 10800 (dash top 945 extra!)
2005 Audi TT 225
1991 Mk1 Golf GTI Sportline cabriolet
1983 Mk1 Golf GTI
PhillV8S
ALPIN
ALPIN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lavalina II option on mine was 12k 10years ago, this included dash top.
E39 B10 V8S #037 Saloon SOLD
Range Rover TDV8
Subaru Outback 3.0
E65 BMW 760i individual Sold
E64 B6s Cabriolet #100

Last edited by PhillV8S on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Cooknerkid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Dakota Leather Reply with quote

Dakota Leather was NOT a standard leather for e90s - my 2011 Biturbo has Dakota leather as a 1550 option - I have just double checked the Original Sales invoice from Sytner Sheffield.....
CaesarBob
ALP
ALP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be better described as the entry level leather, particularly on 3er based cars, leather is usually an option over the standard cloth interior rather than the default.
hap
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy price Phil for leather but that's why,it looks so nice in yours
Was there many more 4 figure options I'd love,to see the full build sheet n costs
Norrie
ALPINA
ALPINA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: leather Reply with quote

Platnium Merino in mine, had it all treated this year.
E92 335D Twin Turbo - sold to Sytner Alpina
E 60 - 525D new - sold to Cooper BMW
E 60 - 530D new - sold at auction
E 39 - 520i new - sold at auction
E 30 - 316i new Touring - sold at auction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    theALPINAregister.com Forum Index -> General ALPINA Forum All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: