CC-ID 49 DPF light

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

vv3bby

CC-ID 49 DPF light

Post by vv3bby » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:06 am

Hi all,

I knew i was having some issues with my E90 D3MT dropping power in 3rd /4th at about 4k revs, but then kicking back in, so brought a plug & play ODB2 reader which arrived yesterday. :lol:

Well before i managed to play with that! My DPF light came on last night. :(

So I read online numerous different old wifes tales from 2011-2014 with regards to how this can be fixed, regen'd code needs to be deleted before it can regen or cant be, etc.

I put some 'Wynns DPF cleaner' & diesel in the tank last night and took it for a 20 minute drive in 3rd gear @ around 60, then the same this morning to work between 3rd & 4th at around 60-70 motorway miles, rocked up to the office and it is still there, i read these filters are supposed to last roughly 100k miles, where as my D3MT has only done 57k?

Before i speak to BM / or indy, can anybody offer some advice?

Thanks

Steve

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by DonFlintoni » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Not sure what Fault code the CC-id corresponds with. My code reader was showing FC 480A and FC 481A when my dpf was blocked.

Mine became blocked as I had a faulty glowplug and if there a fault then the DPf regeneration wont take place.

I changed the glow plugs and relay and it seemed to be ok but after a while the fault re-occured.

It the transpired the throttle body was completely coked up. This was probably due to driving around for a while with a partially blocked dpf that caused coked up exhaust gas to be recirculated.

Apparently dpf regen is based on quite a few things being correct in terms of functioning and reading correct parameters (inlet, outlet pressures, exhaust temperature, fuel level above 10-15%, all glowplugs working.

So, i had my entire inlet stripped and steam cleaned. It running perfectly again.

This may help:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attac ... 1478326025
Former Alpina owner. Having a break.

Arvi
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Arvi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:14 pm

BMW will tell you you need a new DPF. Where you are based?

As said above, fault glow plugs/ glow plug controller amongts other items can prevent an auto regen of the DPF leading to it becoming clogged and teh DPF light coming on.

A good independent should be able to source the fault, and force regen the DPF. Worst case may be they have to take the filter out to clean it. May cost a few hundred but still not the £2k BMW charge.

vv3bby

Post by vv3bby » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks both,

I dread to know what BMW woudl quote me for a new DPF

I live near Coventry - ive now driven on x3 20 mile runs to work and back motorway miles at 60ish 3rd/4th gear - its still not lost the light and still drops power at 3k revs (im having Fiat Puntos & Smart cars leaving me at lights...lol)

Not going to get chance to try and put it on a good run this weekend so will give a couple more drives early next week - if nothing changes with it, i will just have to book it in.
(how long can the engine go as it stands, or will it be a case of the more i leave it, the more damage will be caused?)

Steve

Arvi
ALPI
ALPI

Post by Arvi » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:30 pm

I'd imagine doing any runs is not going to clear the light as the fault code is stored in memory and it is now in limp mode. Also not sure what stresses it puts on the engine whilst in limp mode.

I am in Warwick and Autotech who are based there deal with my car. They are not the cheapest garage around but know their BMWs and DPF faults.

http://www.autotechwarwick.com/

DonFlintoni
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by DonFlintoni » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 pm

vv3bby wrote:Thanks both,

I dread to know what BMW woudl quote me for a new DPF

I live near Coventry - ive now driven on x3 20 mile runs to work and back motorway miles at 60ish 3rd/4th gear - its still not lost the light and still drops power at 3k revs (im having Fiat Puntos & Smart cars leaving me at lights...lol)

Not going to get chance to try and put it on a good run this weekend so will give a couple more drives early next week - if nothing changes with it, i will just have to book it in.
(how long can the engine go as it stands, or will it be a case of the more i leave it, the more damage will be caused?)

Steve
The longer you leave it the more likely you are to coke up the inlet side of the engine.

Id get a garage with a more comprehensive code reader to take a look at it.
Former Alpina owner. Having a break.