Taking the B4s out for a test drive

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

TheJT
A
A

Taking the B4s out for a test drive

Post by TheJT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Sytner lent me the B4s demo car (as seen in all the press coverage/Joe Achilles video etc.) yesterday.

Had great fun taking it around the Cotswolds and comparing it to my D5 BT (am starting to mull the idea of dropping down a size).

I'm not remotely qualified to say anything especially technical about it, but impressions were very positive (inevitably). On the motorway, the D5 - perhaps unsurprisingly - has the edge. Effortless power at all times and all speeds, quieter and of course more spacious and comfortable on long drives, especially as I'm a taller driver!

On the glorious country roads (which were thankfully dry and quiet) however, the B4s is a joy. Handles beautifully once you get used to what for me felt like quite light steering and all the power to come out of corners makes it great fun given the grip which lets it float round bends at speed. Had to overtake a couple of large agricultural vehicles and the stomach compressing acceleration is quite something. No-one needs telling that this car is quick.

My preferred setup was definitely Comfort mode and Sports gearing. The suspension set up in Sport mode was too firm for UK roads: on some potholed roads around Oxford the D5 soaks up everything, but on the same roads, the B4 was positively bone-shaking. Suspect on the continent I'd be fine. On the D5 I generally stick to normal Drive gearing, using Sport only for fast country roads or proper hilly terrain (or the occasional quick getaway at a junction!), but I do use Sport mode off motorway and don't find it a problem in terms of suspension. In the B4, Sport gearing was much better in all conditions other than motorway and heavy traffic/towns.

Only other thing I found strange was having an old-fashioned handbrake! ;-)

2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Sophisto Grey & Oyster/Black
Wave if you see me

nkotecha
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by nkotecha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:10 pm

What was the drivin assistance plus like

TheJT
A
A

Post by TheJT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 pm

This car didn't come with that option (at least not as far as I was aware!). Full spec of this particular vehicle is here: http://www.sytner.co.uk/car-search/7738 ... ch-tronic/
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me

nkotecha
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by nkotecha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:24 pm

It has the rader cruise control

TheJT
A
A

Post by TheJT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:27 pm

ah, well, I didn't use it - M40 was a bit too busy for cruise control yesterday
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me

nkotecha
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by nkotecha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Ok this cruise control brakes and speeds up for you. Designed for traffic

rodbargee
AL
AL

Post by rodbargee » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Interesting! Thanks for posting.

pete
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by pete » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi

Nice one!!! Can you put the car into sport without the steering wheel changing to that stiff heavy feel that happens on my 64 plate 330d? Thanks

TheJT
A
A

Post by TheJT » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Can't say I noticed the steering changing particularly in Sport, maybe tightened up a bit, but was nothing that jarred. To be honest, the suspension was so different that i was more conscious of that than anything else.[/quote]
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me

Dunc

Post by Dunc » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Try a D4, same engine/gearbox as the D5 in the lighter bodyshell. It works well on the motorway, nice and quiet but really handles the twisty stuff well. I am on my second one which is the LCI, the main change is they have given the steering a bit more feel but it is still light in comfort. LCD is definitely required and is an option.

TheJT
A
A

Post by TheJT » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:04 pm

interesting thought - thanks, don't think I'd twigged it was the same engine as the D5.
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me

Bieldside

B4

Post by Bieldside » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:16 am

So ... would you pay £67k for it ?

TheJT
A
A

Post by TheJT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:34 am

That is indeed the £67,000 question! I drove it because I'm interested in the B3s (need/want the extra doors for ease of child access!) though I do like the look of the 4.

It is a pretty special car - i think you can make a case for it being fairly priced (the one I drove was fairly well loaded with extras though), but it's undoubtedly a lot of cash - as all the petrol Alpinas are these days. Depends what price you put on having a smile on your face as you drive around I guess.
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me

Avtar
ALPIN
ALPIN

Re: Taking the B4s out for a test drive

Post by Avtar » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm

TheJT wrote:Sytner lent me the B4s demo car (as seen in all the press coverage/Joe Achilles video etc.) yesterday.

Had great fun taking it around the Cotswolds and comparing it to my D5 BT (am starting to mull the idea of dropping down a size).

I'm not remotely qualified to say anything especially technical about it, but impressions were very positive (inevitably). On the motorway, the D5 - perhaps unsurprisingly - has the edge. Effortless power at all times and all speeds, quieter and of course more spacious and comfortable on long drives, especially as I'm a taller driver!

On the glorious country roads (which were thankfully dry and quiet) however, the B4s is a joy. Handles beautifully once you get used to what for me felt like quite light steering and all the power to come out of corners makes it great fun given the grip which lets it float round bends at speed. Had to overtake a couple of large agricultural vehicles and the stomach compressing acceleration is quite something. No-one needs telling that this car is quick.

My preferred setup was definitely Comfort mode and Sports gearing. The suspension set up in Sport mode was too firm for UK roads: on some potholed roads around Oxford the D5 soaks up everything, but on the same roads, the B4 was positively bone-shaking. Suspect on the continent I'd be fine. On the D5 I generally stick to normal Drive gearing, using Sport only for fast country roads or proper hilly terrain (or the occasional quick getaway at a junction!), but I do use Sport mode off motorway and don't find it a problem in terms of suspension. In the B4, Sport gearing was much better in all conditions other than motorway and heavy traffic/towns.

Only other thing I found strange was having an old-fashioned handbrake! ;-)

Do you have the comfort mode with sport gearing on your D5, I have not tried that?
Alpina B4 Convertible 2016
Alpina B3S Saloon 2003 (Rolling Restoration)
BMW E46 330ci Convertible
Alpina B3 3.3 Coupe 2003 (SOLD)
Alpina D5 BiTurbo (SOLD)
Alpina B3 S BiTurbo (SOLD)

TheJT
A
A

Post by TheJT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Do you have the comfort mode with sport gearing on your D5, I have not tried that?
Yes - flip the gearlever over to Sport but keep the car in Comfort. Very useful at roundabouts for an extra bit of zip! Also use it when driving in the Alps - gives you engine braking when going down steep hills without needing to bother with manual gear changes (which I confess I more or less never use)
2015 D5 BT saloon #249
Wave if you see me